Hey CB... Quick question about this little red SOS symbol where the 1XEV is usually, what does this mean? Thanks CB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 06:47 PM
    emergency calls only
    06-19-09 06:50 PM
    I was with my girlfriend... Mine said SOS while her storm in the same exact place was still on 1XEV. Why is this?

06-19-09 06:58 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull? If that doesn't work and it's happening in more than one area, I'd give verizon a call.
    06-19-09 07:01 PM
    it means you have no signal ..... I think!

06-19-09 07:30 PM
    I was with my girlfriend... Mine said SOS while her storm in the same exact place was still on 1XEV. Why is this?

Are you both running the same OS? I noticed that my dads Storm had a weaker signal then my upgraded storm?

SOS means you can only call 911 in emergency. It will force the call through on any carrier signal.

I agree with the battery pull from above. or if it is working again I suggest doing and OTA download of quickpull. It is a free app that simulates a battery pull. Nice little program.

Hope this info helps
    06-19-09 07:53 PM
    You have the connection set to global and you probably lost service for a moment and the phone tried to switch to GSM and didn't switch back to CDMA. Open your connection up, click on mobile network options, change the network technology to 1EXV. You may have to turn the radio off and back on again after the fact.
    06-19-09 07:59 PM
    It means your phone has connected to a network that will only allow you to make 911 calls. Why, I don't know. I got this in Italy time and time again.

Go to Options > Mobile Network and click on "Manual" for Network Selection Mode, assuming you are using GSM/UMTS as your Network Technology. Then "Browse for Available Networks" and choose the network that you should be on. Problem Solved.

Oh, by the way, as I was walking through this to get the correct terms for this post, my POS Storm locked up and reboot itself... I H8 this fricken phone!
    06-19-09 07:59 PM
    It means your phone has connected to a network that will only allow you to make 911 calls. Why, I don't know. I got this in Italy time and time again.

Go to Options > Mobile Network and click on "Manual" for Network Selection Mode, assuming you are using GSM/UMTS as your Network Technology. Then "Browse for Available Networks" and choose the network that you should be on. Problem Solved.

Oh, by the way, as I was walking through this to get the correct terms for this post, my POS Storm locked up and reboot itself... I H8 this fricken phone!
    According to the information that is in his tag line he is on verizon. He needs the 1XEV setting not GSM/UMTS.
    06-19-09 08:02 PM
    According to the information that is in his tag line he is on verizon. He needs the 1XEV setting not GSM/UMTS.
    yeah, I just saw that. My only experience with the "sos" was on the GSM/UMTS network in Europe. There were 7 networks to choose from in Italy alone!
    06-19-09 08:07 PM
    yeah, I just saw that. My only experience with the "sos" was on the GSM/UMTS network in Europe. There were 7 networks to choose from in Italy alone!
    That is the only time that you will ever see the SOS is on a GSM network. If you have the phone set to global and it loses it's CDMA signal it will auto switch to GSM, problem is Verizon has no GSM service in the USA and the only services that are available are emergency services that may be filling in the CDMA hole. Sometimes the phone will get stuck on those services and needs a push to get back to the CDMA side of the house. I.E. my earlier instructions.
    06-19-09 08:14 PM
    That is the only time that you will ever see the SOS is on a GSM network. If you have the phone set to global and it loses it's CDMA signal it will auto switch to GSM, problem is Verizon has no GSM service in the USA and the only services that are available are emergency services that may be filling in the CDMA hole. Sometimes the phone will get stuck on those services and needs a push to get back to the CDMA side of the house. I.E. my earlier instructions.
    I'm in France and my bbstorm isn't working. It worked fine in Ireland but now all I get is the SOS. I have already changed the network setting and tried it on every setting. I originally had it on Global-- that goes to SOS. I put it on GSM/UMTS and it showed full bars for service and then that went to SOS. I put it on 1XEV and it shows full bars for service but when I try to call it says no service available. If someone can tell me what's wrong they will be my hero forever!!!
    07-02-09 02:33 PM
    ohh and also, I have tried many battery pulls and they don't work either
    07-02-09 02:34 PM
    Im pretty sure it means sh*t out of service lol
    07-02-09 03:00 PM
    I'm in France and my bbstorm isn't working. It worked fine in Ireland but now all I get is the SOS. I have already changed the network setting and tried it on every setting. I originally had it on Global-- that goes to SOS. I put it on GSM/UMTS and it showed full bars for service and then that went to SOS. I put it on 1XEV and it shows full bars for service but when I try to call it says no service available. If someone can tell me what's wrong they will be my hero forever!!!
    I can't answer your ultimate question about SOS, but the reason that 1XEV does nothing for you is because France is on GSM networks.
    07-02-09 03:10 PM
    Have you tried *22899 to activate your Storm on that network? I just went on vacation from St. Louis, MO to NYC. I had no signal for a couple of days until I realized what I had missed.

After the activation I had full signal the whole time.

07-02-09 03:15 PM
    always wondered was SOS meant
    07-02-09 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD