I made the mistake of using my work computer to charge my Storm - and found that in doing so I allowed our IT Policy to be pushed to my phone.

Well I followed the instructions on Crackberry.com and was able to load a blank IT Policy.

I got a blank policy file, installed it on both my work and home computers and sync'd. Now with the blank policy in place - the firewall is activated and locked. I can't deactivate it.

To make a long story short - Verizon is going to replace my phone (Visual Voice mail won't work on my phone with the firewall activated and of course we couldn't deactivate it).

So I've removed the blank policy from my home computer, and have gone as far as removing the Desktop Manager (again, on my home computer) and reinstalled a fresh copy.

When I get the replacement Storm, can I just backup my old Storm (on my home computer) and restore the backup to its replacement, or should I sync over the contacts and manually reinstall the 3rd party programs I use ?

Thanks!
    12-14-08 02:56 PM
    Try doing a restore using desktop manager if that doesnt work try doing a jl wipe.
    12-14-08 02:59 PM
    Same thing happened to me, ended up doing a jl wipe, fresh install and advanced backup/restore to only restore the things I really needed like contacts, emails, bookmarks, etc. I did not restore any application configurations as I didn't know if any of them had been changed.
    12-14-08 03:03 PM
    Even though I've wiped the blank policy from my home computer (and un-installed / reinstalled the Desktop Manager) - I'm concerned that restoring a backup from my current Storm will just restore the same policy onto my replacement Storm.

I can just sync over my contacts and manually reinstall the applications I use. I would really prefer to avoid using the JavaLoader - all the postings I read about it referred to OS 4.5, and I wasn't sure if it was compatible with the Storm.
    12-14-08 03:22 PM
    Javaloader will work with the Storm. I used javaloader a few times to wipe my Storm before an OS upgrade with no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 03:41 PM
    Now - do I need to do a "wipe" or "resettofactory" ?
    12-14-08 04:06 PM
    ask your company to upload the blank IT policy. Maybe that will reverse the items they put in place.

btw, I did the same thing although it wasn't a mistake. I thought with the Storm I was finally comfortable of giving up my Palm dependency (10+ years of familiarity isn't easy to let go). When I did the Enterprise Activation and discovered how crippled my company made the Storm, I backed out of that immediately. The company simply uploaded a "blank" policy and everything was back to normal -- except I did have to re-download the browser.
    12-14-08 04:27 PM
    Check this, its basically a walk through.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/new-...-policy-34665/
    12-14-08 04:39 PM
    Verizon is replacing my Storm. I was actually asking about the best way to reload my contacts, calendar and programs onto the replacement.

I've removed the "blank" policy and removed/reinstalled Desktop Manager from my home computer. Should I backup my current Storm and restore that onto the replacement ? Do I run the risk of reinstalling the policy even though I've removed the blank policy from my computer ?

Or should I not backup my current Storm, and merely sync the contacts and calendar and re-install my programs?

Thanks!
    12-14-08 09:51 PM
    Saving and loading a back up is just gonna create the problem again on your new Storm.

That's the short and dirty answer you wanted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 10:09 PM
    Best bet for calendar and contacts is google sync. youre gonna have to reload the programs you have
    12-14-08 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD