hi helpful CB community!

I have a simple question.

What is/are the reason(s) that we cannot receive emails or surf web during a call?

I would call myself on the technical side, but am just not sure of how one smartphone can do it and one cant. Not bashing RIM or my storm..and not looking to transfer over to the iphone - just interested in knowing why and if there is, or will be some BB that can offer this.

eg.. what hardware makes this achieve-able? can RIM at all add this to future BB's.

I feel it doesnt have to do anything between CDMA and GSM, I could be wrong, Im sure there are a few members on here that can help clarify.
    03-22-10 02:17 PM
    Yea its not possible right now but with AT&T having this feature I'm sure Rims working on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 02:30 PM
    It actually does have to do with CDMA vs GSM. CDMA network cannot handle voice and data simultaneously, whereas GSM can, if you're globally roaming on a GSM network in Europe or elsewhere, you can receive e-mails during a call, just not on CDMA, there are many threads on this, just do a search.

03-22-10 03:00 PM
    It actually does have to do with CDMA vs GSM. CDMA network cannot handle voice and data simultaneously, whereas GSM can, if you're globally roaming on a GSM network in Europe or elsewhere, you can receive e-mails during a call, just not on CDMA, there are many threads on this, just do a search.

HA! and the whole time I was thinking the opposite. Thanks guys.

so on one hand cdma can be a more secure network but we do have a rather big negative here (not for everyone, only those like me who often would like to look up something important while on call).
    03-22-10 03:06 PM
    HA! and the whole time I was thinking the opposite. Thanks guys.

so on one hand cdma can be a more secure network but we do have a rather big negative here (not for everyone, only those like me who often would like to look up something important while on call).
    No problemo, you actually CAN do voice and data at the same time... If you have a Storm 2 and use the WiFi for data... Haha I'm so jealous of them, but when VZW rolls out the new LTE network, voice and data will be possible... But you'll need to upgrade to a Storm 3 for that!

03-22-10 03:11 PM
    No problemo, you actually CAN do voice and data at the same time... If you have a Storm 2 and use the WiFi for data... Haha I'm so jealous of them, but when VZW rolls out the new LTE network, voice and data will be possible... But you'll need to upgrade to a Storm 3 for that!

your posts are just too timely hehe

i was just considering bumping up to S2, now especially since i have the upgrade and the BOGO $100. I can def utilize with the wifi when I travel overseas and am really tired of having low app mem.

But the main point to see is that this is all possible with LTE. thanks.
    03-22-10 03:24 PM

It's actually something along the lines of CDMA vs UMTS because GSM can't do voice and data simultaneously either. You must be on AT&T's new 3G network (which is not really traditional GSM) in order for voice and data to work at the same time.

As for a CDMA phone doing this, yes, the poster above is correct... you must have WIFI connected as well as CDMA at the same time and then you can do both voice and data while in range of both those radio technologies/connections.
    03-22-10 09:36 PM
    It's actually something along the lines of CDMA vs UMTS because GSM can't do voice and data simultaneously either. You must be on AT&T's new 3G network (which is not really traditional GSM) in order for voice and data to work at the same time.
    Exactly. If you are on AT&T or T-Mobile's EDGE network, you will not be able to use voice/data simultaneously. A 3G connection is required.
    03-22-10 09:41 PM
    thanks for the added clarification guys.

so this could even be possible on our S1's.. if I were in europe with the vzw gsm chip and their international data plan.. it could work since my mobile network setting would be set to GSM/UMTS, right? (not that I need to do this)
    03-23-10 12:34 PM
    thanks for the added clarification guys.

so this could even be possible on our S1's.. if I were in europe with the vzw gsm chip and their international data plan.. it could work since my mobile network setting would be set to GSM/UMTS, right? (not that I need to do this)
    If you used a local SIM from the country you'd use GSM/UMTS. If you still used Verizon, just their international service plan and the phone NOT unlocked, you'd still be on CDMA.
    03-23-10 12:41 PM
    Can't wait for LTE to roll out. Regardless of what AT&T offers, I'm never going with them though. However, the AT&T ad with the guy searching maps and making reservations while on the phone did have me hesitate for a bit.
    03-23-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD