I did some searching and didn't see anything on this, but had a question about rebooting.

I'm running .85 and really like the functionality of it. Everything aside from the camera seems to run faster and easier. However, I have noticed that my memory will start out around the low 40's, but after some time of running it will drop below 25MB. Now, I attributed this to running apps and what not, but I almost always will choose to Close apps instead of using the return looking button or by hitting the End Call button.

Installed, I have Nav4All, various launchers like NetFlix, Crackberry, Ebay, etc., Gtalk, AIM, Yahoo, Google Maps, BB Messenger TalkLock and that's about it. Everything except Nav4All has been running for the past week, so I don't feel this is the problem, especially since I JUST got it working today. So GPS IS turned on and functioning, but this is partly one reason I am posting.

The most recent reboot was when I was walking into the building of my office this morning having been running Nav4All on the way to work, which is about 40 minutes. The last time I THINK I checked the memory it was at like 26MB. So I guess my main question that is posted in the title is, will this thing reboot on it's own based on low memory reaching a certain value or something?

I did see the thread on TalkLock and fixing the memory issue, so I'll definitely see if things change after this, but wanted to ask about how the device handled rebooting based on memory if it does do this.

Thanks!
    12-31-08 10:10 AM
    It won't reboot automatically. Sometimes hitting the end call button will not actually close the application. Try hitting Menu - Close. I'm also running .85 with similar apps and usage (but not Nav 4 All) and am running right around 50 or so mb. I'll get down to 30 or so, do a battery pull and I'll be back above 50 for most of the day.
    12-31-08 10:17 AM
    As far as I know it will not reboot on its own.
    12-31-08 10:18 AM
    Ok, well I guess it just rebooted. I need to do a clean install to see if that makes a difference on performance, although it runs great as is.

Thanks guys (gals)?
    12-31-08 10:21 AM
    I have the last official VZ update 0.75 on my BB storm.

I noticed the "quick" reboots from time to time. My definition of a "quick" reboot is: Device appears to be off. Un-responsive to touch screen clicks. Responds to pressing any of the hard keys. Verizon splash screen fades in and my menus appear in about 2 to 3 seconds.

Actually to me it seems that my BB device will randomly go into the "off state" and it is me that get's it to go in a quick reboot state by pressing any hard key. I knew it was on prior to this happening. I too was walking into my building.

It could be low memory. I just don't know. In my case it seems to always occur when I holster my BB device. When I remove the BB device from my holster, I sometimes find it in an "off-state". I thought maybe the issue was contributed by accidentally pressing the "lock" key or "end" key while inserting it in my magnetic holster. I don't have enough data to back this up yet.

The whole issue bothers me though because when I find it in this "off-state" I get disconnected from my Yahoo IM and of course I can't receive calls (I tested it).
    12-31-08 10:47 AM
    My Storm just randomly rebooted for me after sending a text message, I think the last time I checked I had about 25mb free. I thought it was very weird, my phone has been flawless up until this point.

I am running .76
    12-31-08 10:52 AM
    I don't have a holster for mine, so that isn't it for me. Although it was unresponsive to ANY button at all. At first I thought it was the screen lock, but even after hitting that, nothing happened. So I hit the power button and it started to load. And my power option to turn it off is in the application folder, so unless I accidentally navigated to that folder, hit the button and didn't hit anything while it was sitting on my seat, it rebooted/restarted on it's own. Some of the reboots I have experienced with other OS versions were similar, so that is why I say reboot this time.
    12-31-08 10:52 AM
    My unit reboots on its own randomly. Sometimes I can go four days without it happening and this morning it has already occurred three times. Mine are not typically "quick" reboots as it goes through the entire process which takes multiple minutes.

I am hopeful it is software related and the next release will help mitigate. I am running .75 official release and it is my original phone from 11.21. Have tried two replacements but they were the yellowed/dimmer screens so i rejected them. Am on the list to get another from the VZW store but am leaning towards keeping this as my only issue is the occassional reboot. Too picky? I might be.....

Regarding memory - I have never had more than 40 available. usually run down towards 26-29 and complete a battery pull to get it up around 36-39. Running the standard programs plus Visual VM, NAV, Facebook and I do attempt to close out each of the major programs through the menu and not the end button.
    12-31-08 11:01 AM
    Nice, very nice.
    12-31-08 11:06 AM
    My Storm just rebooted by its self today, it was the first time this happened. It's nothing compared to my old 8130 that rebooted once every two days.
    12-31-08 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD