10-31-08 08:58 AM
    That sucks more features the better, but its not a deal killer for me.
    10-31-08 09:00 AM
    I'm pretty sure this is real reason. I think it was the networks (Vodafone, Verizon) that approched RIM with the idea for the Storm and not the other way around. Wi-Fi will sap their ability to charge for data. If the networks were in favour of Wi-Fi from day one RIM would have found a way to fit it in (by making the device slightly larger probably).

Personally, I don't think I'll miss Wi-Fi, I have it now on my N95 and although I occasionally use it hotels, etc. If seems to drain the battery quite a bit (more than regular 3G) and with the advent of unlimited data plans the whole reason for it seems to be disappearing.
    10-31-08 09:19 AM
    not a deal killer maybay storm 2 will upgrade but thats ok ill be happy just to be able to buy it if and when vzw approves it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-08 09:22 AM
    I really wish it had Wi-Fi. I am hoping the GSM Version for AT&T will have Wi-Fi. I had an iPhone and it was great to have Wi-Fi when I didn't have signal inside of a building.
    10-31-08 09:30 AM
    There REALLY needs to be a WIFI section to this forum. What is this, thread 500 on the subject
    10-31-08 09:31 AM
    There REALLY needs to be a WIFI section to this forum. What is this, thread 500 on the subject

There may be alot of threads bout it, but since it doenst exist on the storm making a wifi section would be pointless.
    10-31-08 09:35 AM
    Verizon have a history of nobbling devices on theri network. The 8330 has GPS blocked unless you use the Verizion supplied program and pay them for the privelige.

If they have truly removed WiFi from the Storm then we shall have to wait and see if other carriers worldwide sell the phone with or without this capability.

If they are doing this then, I for one would simply look for another carrier. Even though Verizon have a truly excellent network, I would not use it because of these restrictive business practises. This is why I have never owned any Apple products and I never will.
    10-31-08 09:35 AM
    I especially like this part:And to the commenters who will start saying, “It’s the best data network, you don’t need Wi-Fi!” You’re dumb, ignorant, and stupid. Plain and simple.

That made me laugh, as do alot of his reviews and reports.

Opinions are like A$$holes... everyone has one and they ALL stink!

hahaha
    10-31-08 09:40 AM
    In this perticular case I think BGR is stupid for believing this. It's been said by RIM themselves that there's no WIFI in it because there was no room for the chipset. Sure, you can argue that they said that to be PC towards the real reasons, but I don't think so. The no HSDPA for anything other then 2100MHz is because the Qualcomm MSM7501A doesn't support any other frequency for that band. So, they'd have to add another radio chipset to bring the other frequencies... again, an issue with no room on the system board.

It's blatantly obvious that VZW doesn't have issues against WIFI. WinMo and Palm devices galore have WIFI on their network and they do not disable it. However, it seems every time some kind of phone comes out that doesn't have WIFI, all of a sudden... "Oh, Verizon doesn't like WIFI cuz they stripped it."

Point is, so far the only Blackberries that have ever left RIM with WIFI are always GSM versions. I think if BGR was correct about this you'd have seen the 9500 have WIFI, but the 9530 not have it.

I can't belive I'm defending VZW on this, but I'm just not buying this BS.
    10-31-08 09:44 AM
    The last couple of lines in that article make me want to kick that (probably Asian) fuc*er in the mouth.
    10-31-08 09:48 AM
    ^^^ I'll hold him down for you.
    10-31-08 09:53 AM
    anyone that uses the 'can haz' phrase loses all creditability. What a ******.
    10-31-08 09:54 AM
    JRSCCivic98 can you show me a current device on VZW that has Wi-Fi. I was just on the site and can't seem to find one. I know some older models did, but it looks like newer ones don't.
    10-31-08 10:01 AM
    BGR totally doesn't make sense whatsoever. If VZW did indeed strip wi-fi then how come the Vodafone, Bell, or Telus versions won't have it as well? I guess either they all stripped it or RIM just didn't include it to begin with.
    10-31-08 10:03 AM
    BGR totally doesn't make sense whatsoever. If VZW did indeed strip wi-fi then how come the Vodafone, Bell, or Telus versions won't have it as well? I guess either they all stripped it or RIM just didn't include it to begin with.
    I'm starting to think they didn't have space because they wanted all those carriers to get the phone.

But when the GSM version comes to AT&T they won't have to have all those radios in them so therefore there will be room for teh Wi-Fi chip.
    10-31-08 10:04 AM
    JRSCCivic98 can you show me a current device on VZW that has Wi-Fi. I was just on the site and can't seem to find one. I know some older models did, but it looks like newer ones don't.
    Some of the Winmo phones have wi-fi...the 6700, 6800, and samsung i760. Some of the new winmo phones coming up will have wi-fi such as the samsung i770, possibly the omnia, and either the touch pro or touch diamond will have wi-fi as well
    10-31-08 10:05 AM
    Point is, so far the only Blackberries that have ever left RIM with WIFI are always GSM versions. I think if BGR was correct about this you'd have seen the 9500 have WIFI, but the 9530 not have it.
    I dunno, why does the 9500 Storm not have Wi-Fi then? Integrated GSM 3G / WiFi chipsets exist.

Vodafone are not fans of Wi-Fi, they fear the loss of revenues that voice IP could cause, and since they were apparently the major instigator of the Storm, it figures they would be very happy to end up with a phone that does not have Wi-Fi.
    10-31-08 10:06 AM
    Verizon have a history of nobbling devices on theri network...Even though Verizon have a truly excellent network, I would not use it because of these restrictive business practises..
    I understand the sentiment. Still, I find the limited network coverage of ATT, and to an even greater extent T-Mobile and Sprint, where I live to be much more restrictive of my phone use than are the device-hobbling habits of VZW.

As such, I need to stay with VZW, not so much want to, and have to just deal with their device-restrictive practices--for the time being.
    10-31-08 10:19 AM
    9500 Eval units have triband HSPA. And anyone can say what they want, theres room for Wifi. There is a reason it wasn't included. Regardless, the Niagara will have Wifi, so if you need it wait.
    10-31-08 10:21 AM
    9500 Eval units have triband HSPA. And anyone can say what they want, theres room for Wifi. There is a reason it wasn't included. Regardless, the Niagara will have Wifi, so if you need it wait.
    Why was it omited then? There better be a good explanation for it. Also, why have there been several discussions where the 9500 was indicated as not having tri-band HSDPA?
    10-31-08 10:26 AM
    why would the networks opt against wi-fi in lieu of their own data plans - they require a BB data plan with the phone, anyway...am I missing something?
    10-31-08 10:27 AM
    9500 Eval units have triband HSPA.
    Network Support
    Stay in touch with the people who matter as you travel across town or to almost any corner of the world.

Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks.
    Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks.

Straight off of Vodaphone's website. WTF CX? Where's the tri-band HSDPA? Here's the full link... find it at the bottom. BlackBerry Storm 9500 �€“ Technical Specification �€“ Vodafone

Seems something happened and the two production Storms 9500/9530 are basically identical with the excepton of CDMA for the 9530. Something's not adding up.
    10-31-08 10:34 AM
    Service Unavailable - DNS failure
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.55ab1160.1225467378.3ef3039

BGR Site is down so I cant read what you guys are talking about. Can anyone post his blog text?

I dont want Wifi, if I am at a location with Wifi I will use a computer, not a 3x5 screen phone!
    10-31-08 10:37 AM
    it still works on my viigo app
    10-31-08 10:43 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD