View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a REAL carbon fiber battery door?

Voters
440. You may not vote on this poll
  • No more than $35

346 78.64%
  • $40

41 9.32%
  • $45

16 3.64%
  • $50

26 5.91%
  • Over $55

11 2.50%
    I make stuff out of Carbon Fiber as a hobby. I am thinking about making a battery door for my Storm.

My plan is to make a mold of the OEM door...lay up the carbon fiber in the mold and then take another OEM battery door...remove the latches and hooks and then attach them to the new carbon fiber door.

How much would you pay for a REAL carbon fiber door for the storm?

If I can get enough interest, I will start making them.

To clarify...this would be a battery door made of carbon fiber. NOT a sticker...NOT a piece of Carbon fiber on top of the original door...a solid carbon fiber battery door. You would be able to see the carbon weave on both sides of the part.
    05-22-09 05:51 PM
    How much I'd pay depends on the quality and how well it's made. I'm definitely interested in this. Sounds like it'll come out well...
    05-22-09 05:52 PM
    How much I'd pay depends on the quality and how well it's made. I'm definitely interested in this. Sounds like it'll come out well...
    I agree completely. until I am able to build a prototype...I myself don't know how well it will turn out. I have high hopes though!!!

I can say this...I plan to use a very high quality epoxy, a carbon fiber fabric with a nice weave pattern and the OEM hooks and latches.
    05-22-09 05:56 PM
    I agree completely. until I am able to build a prototype...I myself don't know how well it will turn out. I have high hopes though!!!

I can say this...I plan to use a very high quality epoxy, a carbon fiber fabric with a nice weave pattern and the OEM hooks and latches.
    Do you have any sample pics of the carbon fiber that you use?
    05-22-09 05:58 PM
    Do you have any sample pics of the carbon fiber that you use?
    sure...give me a few minutes...
    05-22-09 05:59 PM
    My question is what are the little "springy points" on the back of the Storm? Take the cover off and look around the battery...they are brass colored.

Looks like there might be a need for a metal battery door. I am not sure just speculation on my part.
    05-22-09 06:09 PM
    My question is what are the little "springy points" on the back of the Storm? Take the cover off and look around the battery...they are brass colored.

Looks like there might be a need for a metal battery door. I am not sure just speculation on my part.
    ahh...I had not thought of that. can anyone shed some light on this???

does the storm have to have a metal door?

Fingers crossed...
    05-22-09 06:12 PM
    Wasn't it said a while ago that carbon fiber would screw with the signal or something?

Don't quote me on that :P
    05-22-09 06:12 PM
    Wasn't it said a while ago that carbon fiber would screw with the signal or something?

Don't quote me on that :P
    Metal wouldn't be any better, would it?
    05-22-09 06:13 PM
    Metal wouldn't be any better, would it?
    I honestly have no clue

lol
    05-22-09 06:14 PM
    ahh...I had not thought of that. can anyone shed some light on this???

does the storm have to have a metal door?

Fingers crossed...
    It seems that the latches were tacked on to the battery door you may need to use some type of adhesive to attach the latches, but if you make a prototype I would love to see it!
    05-22-09 06:22 PM
    +1 if this can be done i am all over it......i abs love carbon fiber.....let me know asap
    05-22-09 06:38 PM
    Here are a few pictures of the raw carbon fiber fabric. It looks ALOT better in person. I have a crappy digital camera.
    05-22-09 06:48 PM
    This would be awesome. I'd definitely like to see a prototype.

As for the brass points on the back of the storm, not sure what they are for. But the storm works without the battery door so it should work with a carbon fiber door.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 06:51 PM
    The carbon fiber looks nice. Are you planning on making a prototype of the battery door? I'd love to see the final product. I'm getting excited for this.
    05-22-09 06:53 PM
    The carbon fiber looks nice. Are you planning on making a prototype of the battery door? I'd love to see the final product. I'm getting excited for this.
    I am. I ordered a new battery door (to use the latches and hinges) and am going to order the resins & stuff Monday (the place is closed). so it may be a week or so before I can get started.

Stay tuned...I will be sure to post pics of the prototype.
    05-22-09 06:56 PM
    I am. I ordered a new battery door (to use the latches and hinges) and am going to order the resins & stuff Monday (the place is closed). so it may be a week or so before I can get started.

Stay tuned...I will be sure to post pics of the prototype.
    Awesome! Good luck!
    05-22-09 06:57 PM
    you would do better if you were making it for the extended batt.
    now that would ROCK!! A great battery and and sweet looking door.
    05-22-09 07:25 PM
    what else do u make out of cf? is it an expensive hobby?
    05-22-09 07:38 PM
    lol i had written bout this before to someone trying to pimp out their phone...lol good idea tho
    05-22-09 07:49 PM
    what else do u make out of cf? is it an expensive hobby?
    The CF fabric is a bit pricey, but geeks love carbon fiber. Otherwise it's not much different from working with fiberglass. I.e. not too expensive in terms of dollars, but very expensive in terms of labour.

Of course, that's compared to my hobbies, like shooting, BlackBerries, and playing electric guitar...
    Last edited by Khalnath; 05-22-09 at 07:54 PM.
    05-22-09 07:52 PM
    the battery door does not have to be metal i bought a case off of amazon and my storm didnt fit in it, but i took of the battery cover and it fit perfect in the case and it works still
    05-22-09 08:30 PM
    What's your cost and how long does it take to make one?
    05-22-09 08:47 PM
    Do you have a nice vacuum bag rig so it sets up nice and flat and hard? We have stuff at my work to do repairs on CF, kevlar and fiber glass. Had to learn how to do composites in airframe and powerplant school and it was pretty fun. Hard to do, and messy, but fun.

05-22-09 09:52 PM
    Sign me up for one as soon as they are done

05-22-09 10:36 PM
228 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD