Good evening and greetings from San Antonio, everyone! I've been searching the threads, but to no avail. If someone can point me toward some good advice...I would be very appreciative!

I rec'd my Storm on Saturday morning, and following the instructions, I plugged it in for a good charging. After several hours, I was sitting with a blank screen and a blinking LED that was 15 seconds on and 11 seconds off. I went to two Verizon corp stores, and no one had any suggestions. Tech support made me feel silly and told me to remove the battery for 30 seconds...voila. Of course it came on, and it was peachy after that.

Fast forward to today. This morning, I was showing off my new fantastic phone to my co-workers, and it shuts off. No prob, I hit the power button and . . . crickets. It didn't even blink. So, I tried the battery trick. Nope. I surfed CB to find an answer, and after about 45 minutes it powered on as if it was waking up. Great! It seemed to work the rest of the day, and I was proud to have a working Storm. Yeah, should have known...got home today and went to demo a ringtone and it goes black. I'm now back to a 15 seconds on, 11 seconds off LED and no luck with the battery trick.

Am I alone in my frustration? Am I missing a crucial page in my "tips and tricks" book? You name it, I'll try it. Yeah, within reason.

Thanks guys!
    11-24-08 07:32 PM
    Good evening and greetings from San Antonio, everyone! I've been searching the threads, but to no avail. If someone can point me toward some good advice...I would be very appreciative!

I rec'd my Storm on Saturday morning, and following the instructions, I plugged it in for a good charging. After several hours, I was sitting with a blank screen and a blinking LED that was 15 seconds on and 11 seconds off. I went to two Verizon corp stores, and no one had any suggestions. Tech support made me feel silly and told me to remove the battery for 30 seconds...voila. Of course it came on, and it was peachy after that.

Fast forward to today. This morning, I was showing off my new fantastic phone to my co-workers, and it shuts off. No prob, I hit the power button and . . . crickets. It didn't even blink. So, I tried the battery trick. Nope. I surfed CB to find an answer, and after about 45 minutes it powered on as if it was waking up. Great! It seemed to work the rest of the day, and I was proud to have a working Storm. Yeah, should have known...got home today and went to demo a ringtone and it goes black. I'm now back to a 15 seconds on, 11 seconds off LED and no luck with the battery trick.

Am I alone in my frustration? Am I missing a crucial page in my "tips and tricks" book? You name it, I'll try it. Yeah, within reason.

Thanks guys!
    Contact RIM ASAP, I believe you have a defective unit & it its covered under warranty.
    11-24-08 07:35 PM
    I am having mysterious resets and at other times, the Storm just shuts down for thirty minutes and then turns on. Curve here I come!

Jimbo
    11-24-08 07:37 PM
    hmmm, sounds like you need to send it in
    11-24-08 07:39 PM
    Pfffffft. I was hoping you'd tell me to hit some secret BB super combo. Thanks so much for suggestion, and I shall go call and raise a stink.

Thanks, guys!
    11-24-08 07:46 PM
    Pfffffft. I was hoping you'd tell me to hit some secret BB super combo. Thanks so much for suggestion, and I shall go call and raise a stink.

Thanks, guys!
    Something somewhat similar has happened to me as well. My Storm has, once a day at night, shut off and started up without me making it. I didn't kow what was wrong, but I updated the OS and it seems to not have done it tonight.
    11-24-08 07:59 PM
    Hi Guys,

Glad I found this thread. Thought I might be the only one or one of only a few with this issue. I still love the Storm too but my BB Storm does the same thing. It will power off without notice. Got mine on Friday when they first came out. That day it powered off a couple of times. Thought it was because it wasn't charged enough. Let it charge of a couple of hours. Full battery and it still does it. It can go for hours and its fine. Then all of a sudden whether surfing, running a program, charging w/no activity, or on a call it will go dead. The only way to get back is to plug in to power (a/c or car charger), or do a batter pull. So it sounds like I have a defective unit from what I am reading. Called Verizon on Wednesday and they said a software release would fix the problem but if it was software I would think more and more people would be experiencing the same issue. Was on a conf call for work today and it just went dead. lol. - Jon
    11-25-08 12:04 AM
    At least I'm not alone! But I am sorry that you're dealing with this funky power issue, too.

Update: I called Tech Support again, and had to giggle. The rep told me that I would have to send in my old phone and then "when they are available" call Verizon to place a new order. I let her talk...then I said, no, you can go ahead and send me a new one. So, we went round a round for awhile, and she saw my point and put me on another infamous waiting list. You know, all I was asking for was a new battery...I know they don't have handsets in stock. Oh well.

So I forgot to unplug the now deactivated Storm last night, and this morning...good as new. A working new, that is. Heh, I'll hope for a good software update, and then go from there. I do, however, believe this is a defective battery issue.

Valiente, what did you come up with? Just gonna ride it out?
    11-25-08 09:09 AM
    Going to stick it out as long as I can function without the phone turning off too much. Back on Saturday it did it 3 times within 30 minutes. The fact I also have to pull the battery out or plug in to get it to turn on (pushing on the red button on/off and/or waiting doesn't work) will get old and unusable if it happens too much. So I will wait. Love the phone. Not much choice though too as I can't get it replaced as there are none in stock.

BTW...I did buy an extra battery today which I was going to do anyway so I have a back up. I will let you know for my phone if that makes any difference with the turning off issue.

Jon
    11-25-08 03:35 PM
    Count me amoung those with the same random shut down problem. Day one it was in my pocket, pulled it out and it was shut off. I began pressing the screen, then the lock key and then the mute key in attempt to wake it up. Finally the red-light began flashing and it reboot.

Later that day it did the same thing after I had changed the default wallpaper to one of a photo file. Day two it occured after I heard an e-mail alert and the pressed a button, the screen, and then again when I was using the notepad. Now it just reset after(luckily) I finished a call.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I really love the phone except for this MAJOR defect. I have a friend who has had it randomly re-boot twice which leads me to believe its a common issue. I hope the new software update resolves this issue and that it comes soon. I really don't want to exchange the phone as I have all my settings fine tuned. I have a call into to a District Manager hoping for some insight and I will definately pass it along.
    11-26-08 06:51 PM
    Hey, I called tech support and the tech had me wipe the BB and start over. I have to say that it did not shut down today at all. It seems like problem solved.
    11-26-08 07:04 PM
    I Have the same problem. I call tech support today x2 the 2nd guy told me this was the first he had heard of this problem after 30min of checking he told me to do a diagnostics test, I did and so far so good. and updates are due on the 8th of Dec. he thinks.
    11-26-08 07:21 PM
    Same issue here. I have had some techs tell me that a sw update may fix this, and they are expected withing a week or two, but I don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for updates that MIGHT fix this problem. I called tech support, explained that to them, and they are shipping me another new phone.
    12-01-08 07:31 PM
    ^did you call verizon or RIM? i have this issue and it's horrible. 2-3 times a day on a good day...3 minute reboot etc..
    12-02-08 10:10 AM
    Just got a replacement storm this Monday due to the screen click issue with my previous storm. Now I am experiencing random shut offs too about 2-3 times as day! Anyone find a fix yet or am I stuck with another dud?
    12-19-08 11:33 PM
    I have never had the random reboot problem until I loosened the screws to adjust the screen. I assume I loosened them to much which may have caused my battery contacts or something to make it reboot....I was on .75 and it would do it about twice a day....

I completely removed each screw then tightened them back down like factory...then backed them out about 3/4 turn....hasn't rebooted in over a week. So if you have done this mod...you might try my suggestion. If you haven't you should probably look at getting a replacement!

Jay
    12-20-08 09:18 AM
    okay I've waited for a fix and still nothing. guess its time for a replacement.
    02-17-09 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD