Not sure how many people have had this but, my phone would drop the radio signal when I would lose service. I would be able to make calls but, had no internet.

Last night I was playing around trying to figure it out and under Manage Connections... Mobile Network Options... and then Network Technology it said Global. I switched it to 1XEV and have had absolutely not problems with it since then. I can go in and out of service and it always snaps right back.

Sorry if this is a repeated post. I tried searching around and seeing if it was solved anywhere else first.
    04-24-09 12:45 PM
    Not sure how many people have had this but, my phone would drop the radio signal when I would lose service. I would be able to make calls but, had no internet.

Last night I was playing around trying to figure it out and under Manage Connections... Mobile Network Options... and then Network Technology it said Global. I switched it to 1XEV and have had absolutely not problems with it since then. I can go in and out of service and it always snaps right back.

Sorry if this is a repeated post. I tried searching around and seeing if it was solved anywhere else first.
    I had the same problem... i dont think .122 liked my area...where are you from? I have .132 on mine now and the only other two radios that ran this good for me where .75 and .113
    04-24-09 12:47 PM
    Are you asking why this happens when set to global or why it happens period?
    04-24-09 12:47 PM
    I am actually researching this issue right now, I seem to lose data at night since my house is down in a hole. I have to reboot to fix it sometimes and then get a flood of email. My setting are also set to 1VEX. I just updated to .132 yesterday and not sure what will happen with data since my battery went dead last night. I did lose data offen at home when on .113.
    04-24-09 12:49 PM
    Are you asking why this happens when set to global or why it happens period?
    Nope, I figure I don't need Global anyway if it works better on 1XEV. I've had no problems or loss of radio since switching that over and running .122

I've only been running .122 for about a day but, its a way better OS than .75.

Undecided about .132 yet, seems to be a lot of mixed reviews
    04-24-09 01:06 PM
    Oh yeah, I'm in North Eastern Nevada
    04-24-09 01:07 PM
    Oh yeah, I'm in North Eastern Nevada
    with verizon i would run .132 its made for the 9530 like .122 but the radio really is a ton better
    04-24-09 01:17 PM
    keep in mind that CDMA frequency will flux A LOT! especially in areas of desolation where you're not getting signal from bunches of antennas...one of the benefits of CDMA is you can connect to more than one tower vs. GSM which is one antenna at a time. the analogy i told customers before was:
    CDMA = an octopus on monkey bars, has more than one connection at any time, more hands, less chance of dropping.
    GSM = psycho howler monkeys going 80mph across the bars, only holding one at a time, hard xferr means more chance of a dropped call.

not debating the usefulness of the types, just describing the interface so you understand why your signal might flux a bit here and there. if you went into (for the NV users) like reno, or NV you'd notice less flux, b/c you're connecting to multiple towers, you got back up if one fluxes or is over saturated.
    04-24-09 01:22 PM
    If your on Verizon and not traveling overseas just pull the SIM card out of the phone and store somewhere. This will solve a couple of problems and this is one since without the SIM card the phone doesn't even have the Global option.
    04-24-09 01:24 PM
    What other problems will pulling the SIM card solve ?
    04-24-09 01:31 PM
    the SIM will cause a pop up during the power on cycle, just annoying. also causes some "SOS" radio issues, where if you're on "global" it'll look for GSM and won't find it and i guess the GSM version of "no signal" ="SOS" or whatever. i don't ever use GSM so whatever.
    04-24-09 01:34 PM
    The flux wasn't my problem so much as when you regain service, the data part would lock up. It would say you had service but, no data transfer at all. No internet, no MMS, nada.

Switching it off of global and only to 1XEV seems to have solved the locking up problem though.
    04-24-09 01:35 PM
    you're correct nate. also, sometimes when my data freezes/whatever, i'll go into "manage connections" and turn radio off/on. sorta similar to resetting a modem. seems to be a quick fix, faster than a reboot.
    04-24-09 01:37 PM
    That would work occasionally but, I drive a haul truck for a gold mine in Nevada. Going in and out of the pit would constantly lose service and regain. After a couple of times, it would just lock up until I did a batt pull or reset.

I switched it over and all last night, losing service and coming back, I always had my data right away.

Now, I just hope it last! lol
    04-24-09 01:40 PM
    What exactly is the purpose of the SIM card in a Verizon phone anyway? Is it needed?

I know when I first got my phone it would say something about the SIM card wasn't recognized or something like that but seemed to have no affect.
    04-24-09 01:42 PM
    when i let my battery die to full power off, even after the "radio off/restore radio" point...when i power back on i can't sms until i charge up enough to power on then power cycle. idk if RIM has taken into account us rugged man types using their phone to its extremes. have you considered calling your carrier and filing a trouble ticket to be sent to RIM for research? maybe they don't know. its possible, lots of n00bs in the world.
    04-24-09 01:42 PM
    What exactly is the purpose of the SIM card in a Verizon phone anyway? Is it needed?

I know when I first got my phone it would say something about the SIM card wasn't recognized or something like that but seemed to have no affect.
    quad band device, for use while travelling int'l in areas where only GSM service is available. basically anywhere you go that has some sort of CDMA or GSM you can use your phone.
    04-24-09 01:43 PM
    Oh, so I basically don't even need it?
    04-24-09 01:46 PM
    basically. i keep mine in the case that my extra micro SD card goes in, and that is in my pocket with my keys. i keep movies and stuff on it in case i get bored. my regular one has all my pix, ringtones, music, etc on it. it fits in the space that the full SD card converter thingy fits in. then if i ever need to bizzzounce outta the country (idk why a 25 year old student/I.T. intern would need to travel int'l on short notice) i'm prepared.
    04-24-09 01:48 PM
    Oh, so I basically don't even need it?
    If you're not travelling outside the US, you don't need it.

basically. i keep mine in the case that my extra micro SD card goes in, and that is in my pocket with my keys. i keep movies and stuff on it in case i get bored. my regular one has all my pix, ringtones, music, etc on it. it fits in the space that the full SD card converter thingy fits in. then if i ever need to bizzzounce outta the country (idk why a 25 year old student/I.T. intern would need to travel int'l on short notice) i'm prepared.
    That's a great idea. I'm going to buy the 16Gig card on my next paycheck, so maybe I'll do the same thing with my 8Gig. And as long as the govt doen't find you about your role in the Conflicker virus, I think you'll be ok staying in the US
    04-24-09 02:26 PM
    dude, they'll never pin me for that...i'm 1337! and the gov't can't defend against my teeth punching flying tiger claw style. double 1337
    04-24-09 02:47 PM
    ya that happens to me now and then with the phone
    04-24-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD