Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a quick simple question about safely removing my Storm from the computer.

Now, with my iPod and other devices like it I know you should really remove it either through the softward (ie: itunes,) or by using the icon for safely removing items in the system tray. Personally I am VERY adament about doing this with my iPod. Ever since I purchased it just about a year ago this week I have yet to simply pull out the USB cord because I almost positive this is what bricked my last iPod.

The only thing is I cannot find anything on DM for removing my Storm so since I got it I have been using the icon except for a few times I just unplugged it.

All I want to know is if simply unplugging it is okay to do or if I should continue using the safe removal process.

Thanks in advance!
    05-05-09 03:30 PM
    i hope so, it's what i have been doing for the last 4 months..
    05-05-09 03:31 PM
    I have always had problems with the Storm if I did this. Never had issues when I Safe Removed it. Now this is when I hooked the Storm directly to computer with the USB cable. If I use a cradle connected via USB cable, never had any problems just unplugging the Storm from the dock. These have been my experiences.
    05-05-09 03:35 PM
    If you are just using DM to add media to the phone, and you never enable mass storage mode while the phone is plugged in to the PC, then you can just unplug it from the PC when you are finished (you will not even find a remove safely option in the PC toolbar).

If, however, mass storage mode is enabled at any time while you have your phone hooked up to the computer, it will add the option to the PC toolbar to remove it safely... I would recommend using it.

I actually forgot to "remove it safely" once when I used mass storage mode (because I don't do that very often), and when I unplugged the phone from the PC, it caused a media card error, and I had to reformat the media card. This is probably because I unplugged the phone a little too soon, but you can never be too careful.
    05-05-09 03:38 PM
    Ya, thats what I figured. Which is why I haven't asked until now and I have just been safely removing it because of my experience with my ipod breaking because I just unplugged it.

But I will definately continue using the PC tool to remove it because I always have mass storage mode enabled even if I am not adding/removing/copying media to or from my computer. LIke today all I did was plug it in because I wanted to do a backup because I haven't done one in a little more than a week.

Thanks for inputting your experiences and everything guys! It's greatly appreciated it

I will indeed continue doing it the way my gut has been making me remove it all along =P But I think instead of always having mass storage mode enabled when I plug it in I'm going to change it so that it prompts me so if like today I just do a backup I don't have to enable it and not worry about safely removing it.

Take care!
    05-05-09 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD