It may just be me but whenever I have my storm on its back laying flat on a table or whatever its about 10x laggier as opposed to vertical or either landscape mode. Especially if I haven't used it for a while. As soon as I pick it up or wiggle it... boom all the sudden its very responsive.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena, moreover can it be fixed?

I'm using .76 VZW Network and Average 40 MB App Memory

(please no scorn and contempt if this has been posted already tell me and kill this thread, I couldn't find it on search)
    12-18-08 11:15 AM
    same problem here. and when its on its back sometimes it likes to switch between vertical and horizontal. Very annoying.
    12-18-08 11:25 AM
    It may just be me but whenever I have my storm on its back laying flat on a table or whatever its about 10x laggier as opposed to vertical or either landscape mode. Especially if I haven't used it for a while. As soon as I pick it up or wiggle it... boom all the sudden its very responsive.
    I noticed as well, then got out my Level, because of the carpet, tabletop was just off level, if it is close to the switch point between level and not level the phone could just be changing back and forth based on that. Just my thinking on that, not real proof other than my desk is not 100% level.

Maybe a good reason for a cradle????
    Last edited by bkuester; 12-18-08 at 11:32 AM. Reason: a thought shot through my brain
    12-18-08 11:31 AM
    Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Its VERY unresponsive while laying flat on any surface, but as soon as its picked up BOOM its works fine. Maybe something to do with the accelerometer? Does any other phone with an accelerometer do this? Like the iPhone?
    12-18-08 11:52 AM
    Wow I was just about to post this. I just noticed this myself. Its not really lagging, I think the accelometer is just confused. If you turn it and it doesn't do anything, hold it more upright vs. more parallel with the ground. Works like a charm.

This isn't just Storm specific, I've noticed the iPod Touch will do this too.
    12-18-08 11:58 AM
    It's not really that it's unresponsive, it's just that the accelerometer has trouble distinguishing between portrait and landscape when it is on a table (please see: gravity). I think one complaint so far has been that it would be nice if the menu did not change from portrait to landscape, which would essentially keep the device in portrait mode when it was set on a table, but it might switch to landscape unexpectedly in other applications!!!

For me it' actually a big nuisance as the phone takes a sec or 2 to switch back to portrait when I pick it up.
    12-18-08 12:00 PM
    Same here. It actually freezes and does not accept any commands and I also think that it's because the accelerometer is not able to figure out what position the phone is in.

My wife has an Iphone and it does not suffer the same problem. I think however that the next software update will address this issue because I read somewhere that RIM was aware of the issue though they had not commented on it (as is the case with all the other bugs).
    12-18-08 12:04 PM
    You know....this may be a reason why a lot of people complain about the Storm on display at the Verizon Store. It could also be that its running on .65 which would exasperate the problem, but when people try to turn it and what not, its typically laying on a flat surface.
    12-18-08 12:06 PM
    I have experienced the same problem on 65,75, and 76. It's annoying to see that happen and especially when a call is coming in too. Sometimes you can't answer the call when this happens.
    12-18-08 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD