I'm looking into unlocking a Storm for use w/ T-Mobile and had a few questions for anyone who knows

1) After unlocking, does voicemail work normally? Can you hold 1 and your voice mail will work w/ T Mobile or is there a special step to use it (also I'm assuming visual voicemail would not work?)

2) I've heard that instead of paying for an unlock code you can call Verizon and tell them you plan on using the phone overseas and would like an unlock code, any truth to this, anyone do this?

3) How do BB Apps work b/c I won't be having a BB Data plan if I unlock the storm and wanted to know if I can download apps via PC and load it on the phone manually or is it all done via the phone & internet service (of which I wont have)....I do understand certain apps that use the internet won't work

Thanks for any help! Any other feedback on experiences w/ storm unlocks are appreciated into swaying my decision to purchase the phone or not
    08-23-09 06:11 AM
    The voicemail will work normal. You can call verizon and get it unlocked for free only if you are a verizon customer, if not there are a lot of places you can get a code for less then $30 online. Most apps you can install via pc. You should really look at a data plan, youbwiLl love your BB much more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 06:41 AM
    How do BB Apps work b/c I won't be having a BB Data plan if I unlock the storm and wanted to know if I can download apps via PC and load it on the phone manually or is it all done via the phone & internet service (of which I wont have)....I do understand certain apps that use the internet won't work
    Using a Blackberry Storm without a data plan is like using a brick for a floatation device. It just doesn't make sense. You might want to reconsider that choice.
    08-23-09 07:22 AM
    1. yes you just have to goto the activation programming page on the phone and input your # instead of the default setting (# # 000000 (Send))

2. I just paid $20 bucks to get my unlock code. I tried calling vzw but they never budged to give me the unlock code.

3. Your phones kinda pointless if you're not gonna run a bb data plan. It's just going to be a nice fat paperweight...
    08-23-09 08:49 AM
    He doesnt really need a BB plan, i went without one until i got my bold (3 years). I was fine without one.
    I had wifi when i got home and again at work, the only two places i really needed it.
    There are apps you can DL from the pc to BB.
    I dont know if you can purchase bb app world on the pc, they have some useful/fun apps.
    08-23-09 12:43 PM
    thanks for the answers, I plan on getting the BB data plan but not right away due to finances (broke college student), my phone is acting up and I'm getting the storm for free.

is unlocking the phone really as easy as just inputting the code you buy or is there any additional steps (other than further work to get mms/browsing to work) or even additional updates you have to do down the road
    08-23-09 03:22 PM
    is unlocking the phone really as easy as just inputting the code you buy or is there any additional steps (other than further work to get mms/browsing to work) or even additional updates you have to do down the road
    It's that simple.
    08-23-09 03:26 PM
    He doesnt really need a BB plan, i went without one until i got my bold (3 years). I was fine without one.
    I had wifi when i got home and again at work, the only two places i really needed it.
    There are apps you can DL from the pc to BB.
    I dont know if you can purchase bb app world on the pc, they have some useful/fun apps.
    Yeah your bold had Wifi... the storm doesnt...
    08-23-09 05:32 PM
    To add a few questions to this, my wife was wanting to get her sisters storm and unlock it for use with our cincinnati bell account. We both have BB unlimited plans.
    1. If we unlock it, will she be able to transfer everything from her pearl over to the storm, as far as her plan?

2. Will data work?

3. Any blank OS's out there? Like non Verizon Storm OS's?

4. Where to get Storm unlock codes?

She just wants to have a completely working storm on CBW and I just want to make sure everything will work.
    08-23-09 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD