Ok,

I am new to Blackberry in General but just got a Storm. I want to know what I should download or do first.

I know that a lot of you have had Blackberrys for a while, so my question for everyone is.....

"If you got a brand new Blackberry Storm and had to reload everything from scratch. What would you do different then the first time, what apps are cooler than others, and what are some good shortcuts?"

I already put the paper behind the battery and that worked great, and I moved some of my icons to folders to speed it up, but any info you can share would be great.

Oh and is there a way to speed up the camera on a storm?

Thanks!
    02-20-09 03:05 PM
    I already put the paper behind the battery and that worked great, and I moved some of my icons to folders to speed it up, but any info you can share would be great.
    Use black electrical tape on the back door. Line it up so it pushes directly over the bar that the battery terminals touch, and cut it so it sits inside of the metal grounding points. This works great so you don't have to keep dealing with paper when doing a battery pull.
    Oh and is there a way to speed up the camera on a storm?
    Install one of the leaked OS's. The camera has been greatly improved over the official .75 release.
    02-20-09 04:28 PM
    Thanks for advice DeepSky!
    02-20-09 04:37 PM
    Thanks for advice DeepSky!
    No problem. here's a pic of what I did:
    02-20-09 04:46 PM
    "Use black electrical tape on the back door. Line it up so it pushes directly over the bar that the battery terminals touch, and cut it so it sits inside of the metal grounding points. This works great so you don't have to keep dealing with paper when doing a battery pull."

I personally wouldnt recommend that. My first phone had some click issues and my replaced model is absolutely flawless. You spent all that money to buy a new phone so why settle for a defective one ..... just my 2 cents.

As for the apps i would recommend google map app and AP news.
    02-20-09 04:52 PM
    "Use black electrical tape on the back door. Line it up so it pushes directly over the bar that the battery terminals touch, and cut it so it sits inside of the metal grounding points. This works great so you don't have to keep dealing with paper when doing a battery pull."

I personally wouldnt recommend that. My first phone had some click issues and my replaced model is absolutely flawless. You spent all that money to buy a new phone so why settle for a defective one ..... just my 2 cents.

As for the apps i would recommend google map app and AP news.
    This is my fourth Storm. It clicks just fine, but it clicks even better with the tape. My phone is not defective, I just prefer the way it clicks with the tape.
    02-20-09 05:00 PM
    This is my fourth Storm. It clicks just fine, but it clicks even better with the tape. My phone is not defective, I just prefer the way it clicks with the tape.
    hmm.. i missed your above post as I hadnt seen it before but I'll try it to see how much difference it makes even though I am happy with the clicking.
    02-20-09 05:05 PM
    Not a Storm owner yet, maybe tomorrow, but I am very curious as to what placing this tape does or prevents?
    02-20-09 05:55 PM
    Not a Storm owner yet, maybe tomorrow, but I am very curious as to what placing this tape does or prevents?

It's done to improve the click function of the screen. Some screens are slightly/definitely harder to depress around the edges. The tape/paper puts upward pressure towards the bottom of the screen.
    02-20-09 07:25 PM
    Slacker radio and make sure you download the crackberry app so you dont have to keep surfing the web for it.

02-20-09 07:28 PM
    Must have apps for me are QuickPull, WeatherBug and YouTube.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 07:28 PM
    I 2nd Slacker Radio.

Google Maps is great.

Google Sync is useful.

Gmail if you're a big Gmailer. (hmm, maybe I need an Android phone? )

QuickPull if you're obsessive with battery pulls.

Bolt for some speedy (albeit not perfectly optimized) web surfing.

VLINGO for fun (not accurate enough to be 100% reliable)

TalkLock to prevent accidental muting/speakerphoning
    02-20-09 07:30 PM
    Poynt
    Crackberry launcher
    AP news
    BBalerts
    Weatherbug
    Buzz Me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 07:48 PM
    WSJ and Vlingo. Also, look for Jonathan Fisher's Storm Launchers and HUB. Other very useful apps: CaptureIt, Docs to Go (Premium gets you PDF To Go), FileManagerPro (zip support), QuickPull.

Doctor Neutron
    02-20-09 10:18 PM
    WeatherBug
    02-20-09 10:38 PM
    Talklock (for sure)
    poynt
    quickpull
    sysinfo (i think it's nice to see the percentage of your battery left)
    google maps
    youmail (free visual voicemail app)
    Nav4all (free navigation app that takes you way out of the way sometimes but gets you to where you want to go in the end.)
    02-20-09 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD