How does the Verizon internet speed compare to ATT's 3G? I'm trying to decide between the Storm and the Bold and internet speed is one of the biggest factors for me. Thanks!
    10-22-08 11:31 AM
    OH NO, here we go again. Anoth "my carrier can beat up your carrier" thread.

From what I've read, and I'm no expert, they should both be reasonably similar on 3G network. The speed probably is more a function of your location and the carriers signal strength, signal type, and congestion in that area.

Some will say ATT is faster. Some will say VZW is faster.
    10-22-08 11:40 AM
    I'm not on either carrier (I use T-mobile now) and am just trying to gather as much info as possible. But thanks for the response.
    10-22-08 11:54 AM
    It all depends. One can be faster than another at times. I would say, from having both, that they are generally the same. The only drawback with ATT is that the coverage isnt at wide as Verizons. ATT has most major cities covered, just not as many suburbs and neighboring towns.
    10-22-08 11:57 AM
    Since there is a lot on the subject, I would suggest that you just Google
    "HSDPA vs EVDO" and you will have enough to read to keep you busy until both devices are released

Happy reading

In short ( as far as I know )

AT&T

HSDPA: 3.6 Mbps dowload, 1.2 Mbps upload
    UMTS: 700 Kbps download, 500 Kbps upload
    EDGE: 384 Kbps download, 236 Kbps upload

Verizon

Rev 0: 2.4 Mbps download, 153 Kbps upload
    Rev A: 3.1 Mbps download, 1.8 Mbps upload

From Verizon / coverage map comparaison
    Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless
    You will have to click on Click here for Broadband 3G Network Comparisons
    Last edited by Briard; 10-22-08 at 03:46 PM.
    10-22-08 12:05 PM
    OK,thanks. I didn't realize Verizon has its own 3G Network. I guess ATT has done a better job of marketing on that front!
    10-22-08 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD