So I was curious to see what would happen. I have an old unlocked Blackberry Pearl (that I've been using on AT&T until I jumped ship for the Storm). I wanted to see what would happen if I took out the SIM card on the Storm and put it in my Pearl (since it is unlocked).

Well.... I get this: "SIM card rejected". I guess Verizon doesn't have a roaming agreement with AT&T so AT&T doesn't recognize the card and rejects it? I would presume the Vodaphone Storm roams on AT&T's network?
    11-25-08 04:45 PM
    Nevermind... I checked the Mobile Networks and it is actually T-Mobile that it is trying to connect to and is being rejected. Maybe my SIM isn't activated on Verizon? I thought they did but I'll check.
    11-25-08 04:46 PM
    Won't work. Verizon is CDMA. T-Mo and AT&T are GSM. The Verizon SIM is actually not used on the Verizon network; it's used when you roam on GSM.

You can't get on VZW by using that SIM in another phone.
    11-25-08 05:04 PM
    Won't work. Verizon is CDMA. T-Mo and AT&T are GSM. The Verizon SIM is actually not used on the Verizon network; it's used when you roam on GSM.

You can't get on VZW by using that SIM in another phone.
    Yes, I was aware of this and wasn't expecting to get onto the VZW network. I was seeing if I could roam in the USA on a GSM network.

None-the-less, I get my SIM activated and it didn't work. It said I can only do "emergency calls". I guess they don't have a roaming agreement with AT&T or T-Mo. I can see why... typically speaking you'd just roam on a CDMA network here in the USA.

The reason why I wanted to do this is my old phone is GSM. It is small... would have been nice to use it when going out at night to clubs and didn't want to carry around the storm (for fear of breaking it?). But, I guess I'll just have to live with having the storm on my hip 100% of the time.
    11-27-08 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD