So I've had the most frustrating past 4 hours possible. I have been reading every where online trying to find a solution to my problem. My storm WILL NOT CONNECT to my computer. No matter what. Followed all the instructions here hxxp://xxx.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02 640&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=184002586&stateId= 1%200%20183996998 but it was no help. I repeatedly get a "USB device not recognized" pop-up on my desktop. The phone is not recognized by Windows Device Manager, Crack Mem, Crack Util, Desktop Manager, JL Commander, or even Windows Explorer for that matter. The device is useless to the computer. I wiped the handheld; no luck. I am so beyond frustrated at this point. I'm running the .141 hybrid and just want to update to the legit .148. Is it possible to nuke my phone from the phone itself without it being connected to a computer? Because I cannot connect to my, or my room mate's computer. By the way, his Storm connects to my computer, with the same cable, perfectly. Somebody PLEASE help.
    06-10-09 01:20 AM
    Try someone else's computer
    06-10-09 01:51 AM
    No idea why it wont connect to the PC, but if all you want to do is update to .148 do it OTA.
    06-10-09 02:01 AM
    Alright now that the original question has been solved, lets turn this thread into a "How to nuke your phone for replacement by Verizon" Thread!

(That's what i thought it was going to be when i opened it)
    06-10-09 02:08 AM
    seems to me that you might have a hardware problem with your computer....try this.....right click on my computer, select properties, select the hardware tab, click on the device manager button in the middle and your going to get a list. on that list, there should not be any yellow asterisk, if there is, you might be having a device driver issue. fixing this requires to go more technical in depth, but ill be glad to help
    06-10-09 03:06 AM
    Yamahama, I cannot connect to my room mate's computer either, as stated in the original post. BobandBob, I cannot upgrade OTA as I am running a leaked os, v.141 hybrid. Henry, I followed the instructions in the link provided in the original post regarding driver issues involving the Windows Device Manager. I've pretty much given up on trying to solve the problem, and I really just want to purposely 'nuke' my phone, from the phone itself, to completely wipe itself of any idea of a problem and start from scratch. HOW CAN I PURPOSELY NUKE MY PHONE FROM THE PHONE ITSELF?
    06-10-09 03:32 AM
    Also, I've determined that it most certainly is a driver issue... however I'm not sure why it is, because my roommate's phone, running .148 connects perfectly, instantly to my computer... I feel like it may have something to do with my hybrid os, possibly not installed 100% correctly on my phone..? I don't really care what caused the problem in all honesty though. Just thought I'd throw it out there...
    06-10-09 03:37 AM
    hmmmm...tried using a different data cable?
    06-10-09 04:00 AM
    I had the same problem with my BB a while back. However, it wasn't my phone that was the problem nor was it the DM. My PC I knew was due for a tune-up. Somehow, I got an infection that rendered my USB drivers useless. I would get the PC looked at as well to see if there is anything hindering the drivers. Couldn't hurt!
    06-10-09 04:15 AM
    I have had problems with the drivers since I've owned the Storm. Every time I do an upgrade that re installs drivers VZ Access doesn't work. The 100% solution I have found is to go to Blackberry's site and download DM 4.6 without the dia manager.

If you have a problem with drivers after that, just reinstall it and you will get drivers that will work. 4.7 is junk.
    06-10-09 06:58 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but sadly I've done just about everything. Henry, it's not the data cable, because this one worked for my room mate's phone fine, and his cable did not work for me. Schirmerdt, it's not my computer because my phone didn't work on my room mate's computer either. And GLP, downloading 4.6 was a worthy suggestion, but every time I plug my phone into my computer, I still get the same "USB device not recognized" pop-up, and then my PC installs drivers for "unknown device". When I go into Device Manager (Right click 'My Computer' - Properties - Device Manager) and try to manually change the driver from unknown driver to the RIM driver (which is definitely installed on my computer), I get a "This device cannot start (Code 10)." message, and the driver installation fails. I seriously cannot take this anymore. Can anyone just tell me how to nuke my phone?
    06-10-09 10:25 AM
    I had the same problem when I got my replacement Storm and it really is easy to fix. Mass Storage issues? (Here's the fix) - PinStack.com Try this link. download this program in the first post, unzip it to your desktop, then plug in your phone and run the program. When done your phone should reboot.Let me know how you make out this should fix it, it did for me after days of getting pissed off about it!
    Last edited by hurld; 06-10-09 at 10:35 AM.
    06-10-09 10:28 AM
    No luck. When I run the cmd .exe it just goes through it's process as if nothing is plugged into my computer. It just closes immediately, not even giving me the option to "press any key", as the directions indicate.
    06-10-09 10:39 AM
    I cannot upgrade OTA as I am running a leaked os, v.141 hybrid.
    did you try and it fails, or are you assuming that you can't?
    06-10-09 10:48 AM
    I tried and I get a "No Updates Available" pop-up. Hurld, I did a batt-pull and ran the cmd.exe again, but now it's stuck at "Connecting to bootrom"... doesn't seem to be making any progress either...
    06-10-09 10:51 AM
    did you try and it fails, or are you assuming that you can't?
    You can't update ota unless you are on .75

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 10:56 AM
    You can't update ota unless you are on .75

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thanks, didn't know that. I went .148 when it was leaked, so never tried an OTA update

in http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry steps 1 and 2 talk about a method to try to get the PC to recognize the phone when it doesn't want to, might be worth a try even though your phone is not yet nuked.
    06-10-09 11:04 AM
    Thanks, but I read that already. When the Loader.exe file is run, the phone still goes undetected... Currently I am connected to my PC via Bluetooth, but there's not much control I have over my phone at this point...
    06-10-09 11:07 AM
    Thanks, but I read that already. When the Loader.exe file is run, the phone still goes undetected... Currently I am connected to my PC via Bluetooth, but there's not much control I have over my phone at this point...
    The only other thing that comes to mind and it is a longshot is to remove the battery, press and hold the ECS/back button down and reinstall the battery while holding that button down. This will boot the phone into a "safe mode" Then see if it will connect to the PC. If that doesn't work then you are stuck going to verizon for another one. Don't tell them about the OS because the OS isn't the cause of this issue. It truly sounds like a bad communications port on the phone.
    06-10-09 11:13 AM
    Since your roomates Storm will connect to your PC have you considered trying to create a new account/profile on your PC and seeing if something funky is only allowing it to register 1 storm?

I know it is a long shot but.....
    06-10-09 11:16 AM
    Well, here's what I gather so far:

1) your storm isn't recognized via USB connection by any application
    2) Using the same computer and cable, your friend is able to connect his just fine

Here's what this tells me: It's (probably) not the computer, not the cable, and not the software.

Question: when you plug your BB into the computer, does it make that "found new hardware" sound or get the pop-up in the system tray?

From what you describe, I'd be inclined to believe that the USB port on the device has gone bad.
    06-10-09 11:21 AM
    In safe mode, but still not luck getting the USB connection. It does charge via the usb port though which is even more puzzling... I'm connected to DM via Bluetooth still, seeing if there is anything I can do...
    06-10-09 11:22 AM
    Pete, if I restart my computer, I get a "new hardware found" pop-up the first time I plug it in. Then immediately after I get the "unknown device" driver software installed complete. If I unplug it and plug it back in, I get a "USB device not recognized" pop-up. I think you may be right about the USB port being bad, but I still feel like if I could just nuke my phone and completely wipe it of everything it may be able to connect to my PC...
    06-10-09 11:26 AM
    Interesting note... upon plugging in the phone to the computer, it no longer makes the normal "ba-ding" sound that all other USB devices make upon connection. Instead, the sound is consistently "boo-boo-boo". At first I thought the sound was just skipping or something, but I'm starting to think that maybe that sound is the indication of a bad driver/port on my phone...
    06-10-09 11:31 AM
    Quick question though. Will Verizon replace my phone even though it is a few months old and I do not have insurance?
    06-10-09 11:40 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD