If you get a replacement Storm within 30 days, Verizon's policy is to replace it with a BRAND NEW Storm, not a factory refurbished model (yes there are already factory refurbished models floating around).

"Subscribers with an eligible handset experiencing an electronic malfunction or manufacturer
    defect during the allotted Defective on Arrival (�DOA�) time period (the handset fails within
    the first 30 days of date of purchase) may receive a new handset in exchange for the defective
    handset.
    After the initial 30-day DOA time period has expired, Verizon Wireless will assist the
    subscriber with the manufacturer�s warranty process. However, if the equipment is defective
    after the initial 30-day return period, but before expiration of the manufacturer�s one-year
    warranty, the subscriber may, in Verizon Wireless� sole discretion, receive a refurbished Field
    Replacement Unit (FRU) in exchange for the defective unit at no charge."

I was unfortunate enough to get a refurbished model. The letters "FRU" in the sku does not mean it's a refurbished model. A new model will come in the same packaging as your first storm with all of the accessories... a factory refurbished model will come in this packaging along with some paperwork in the Fedex box:

If your replacement comes like this, don't even bother activating it. Call up Verizon right away and demand a NEW phone.
    12-04-08 06:59 PM
    How can you verify that receiving it in a cardboard box is refurbished? I ask cause I'll be getting my replacement on Monday and would love to know.
    12-04-08 07:07 PM
    If your replacement comes like this, don't even bother activating it. Call up Verizon right away and demand a NEW phone.
    I would say play around with it before returning because some people received refub phones that were better than the new ones they got at launch.
    12-04-08 07:10 PM
    All refurbs come in plain cardboard new phones come off the "shelf" with all the stuff the OP mentioned
    12-04-08 07:12 PM
    How can you verify that receiving it in a cardboard box is refurbished? I ask cause I'll be getting my replacement on Monday and would love to know.
    if it comes in that type of box, its a refurb. if it comes with EVERYTHING, cd, cables, manuals, CD's, etc, its a new phone. IE: a new phone is as if you went to the verizon store and bought one paying full price, thats how it SHOULD come to you within 30 days.
    12-04-08 07:20 PM
    Well, I just got a email with instructions about receiving the new handset. It was saying that the replacement will not come with the battery nor back door. Its also leading me to believe that it will be NEW. What's up with this?
    12-04-08 07:22 PM
    I would say play around with it before returning because some people received refub phones that were better than the new ones they got at launch.
    Although this is true, I dont think we should let verizon take advantage of us and bend their rules. If you happen to get a NEW phone with issues, just demand a new one again. There is NO limit to how many exchanges you can get within the 30 days if it is truly a messed up phone. This will force VZW/RIM to actually fix the problem instead of passing around 'ok' phones to people who just dont care enough, its an issue of principle.
    12-04-08 07:24 PM
    Well, I just got a email with instructions about receiving the new handset. It was saying that the replacement will not come with the battery nor back door. Its also leading me to believe that it will be NEW. What's up with this?
    Thats a refurb.
    12-04-08 07:25 PM
    Your getting a refurb......
    12-04-08 07:26 PM
    "There is NO limit to how many exchanges you can get within the 30 days if it is truly a messed up phone."

That's actually not true. They only have to let you exchange once during the 30 days and then they can give you a refurb. phone. At least that's what they told me when I went through 5 Chocolates (1.0) a couple years back.
    12-04-08 07:31 PM
    SH***T!I ordered a replacement this morning. I told CS if it was a new phone and he said yes it was! He said the phone is too new to have refurbs..... I don't know who to believe anymore. But I know one thing...if I get that box, Then i'll know its a refurb. But i can't understand how they would them, two weekd after the launch??? Can they really get those phones back that fast??
    12-04-08 07:37 PM
    I'll be really upset if its a refurb. What if it has the "supposed" new revision number though? And as far as the refurb units are concerned, couldn't they have just taken one that was returned and put the updated back plate in it?
    Last edited by cocruxified; 12-04-08 at 08:00 PM.
    12-04-08 07:57 PM
    No its a new phone in an OEM box. Same phone without all the accessories. Here where I work we make these things that we also call FRU's. FRU stands for field replaceable unit. We take partial assemblies and create kits out of them in brown boxes so that if a piece of our product fails you just open it up and replace that piece. RIM has done the same thing but they figure if it fails that they just replace the whole thing. Our products are so expensive that we don't go that route we replace it in modules inside the thing.

FRU does not equal refurb!
    12-04-08 08:07 PM
    No its a new phone in an OEM box. Same phone without all the accessories. Here where I work we make these things that we also call FRU's. FRU stands for field replaceable unit. We take partial assemblies and create kits out of them in brown boxes so that if a piece of our product fails you just open it up and replace that piece. RIM has done the same thing but they figure if it fails that they just replace the whole thing. Our products are so expensive that we don't go that route we replace it in modules inside the thing.

the only thing i have against this is that from what i have been told, a replacement unit comes in retail packaging. not to mention others have received replacements in full retail kits.
    12-04-08 08:09 PM
    My blood pressure is going up!!I decided to call CS again, because of what is being said on this thread...and it really upsets me!I wanted to talk to a manager, fast, and I wanted to know WTF!! I told the manager about the situation and a lot of people were getting REFURBS and that we were PO!He went on to tell me this....Just because a phone comes in a brown box, doesn't mean its a refurb!I said, "go on'. He said that depending where the phone is shipped from, meaning what warehouse, PA, Jersey, Tennesse, etc..and who has it instock, closest to your house, that will determine it. I said, "what do you mean"? He said it means that WE HAVE NO REFURBS! The phone was just launched and it takes while before refurbs get back to the warehouse. If some returns a phone, which they just don't like it, whether it be BB or verizon, that phone will stay in the store and will be sold "as new". We ONLY accept returned phones if they have a HARDWARE issue, not a SOFTWARE issue, then you will recieve a replacement, or that can be fixed through an update. If the phone has a hardware issue, he said, then the device go back to the warehouse and is sent back to RIM. RIM is responsible to fix the phone, then send it back to verizon, and then its considered a "REFURB" phone. Now on the issue of the boxing....he said that some phones are replaced with only the phone, not the battery or cover, because there is nothing wrong with the battery or cover, so you do not need the whole kit, for example. but...if your gripe is with rebotting, battery draining, etc, they you will most likely get a whole new kit. As far as, who decides this is the warehouse. Where ever the storm comes from(warehouse), thats who decides what replacement you will get! Well, this sounds valid to me... But on another note, I asked about "FRU", he sain that is an internal sku, which means "FACTORY REPLACEMENT UNIT", NOT FACTORY REFURBISHED UNIT. Hey at this point, WTF, lets all get phones that work!
    12-04-08 08:20 PM
    well that makes me feel better and seems logical and not a load of bS, like a lot of this thread now maybe i can sleep lol
    12-04-08 08:23 PM

Thats what I was leaning towards. I don't see how they'd be sending out refurb ALREADY. It hasn't even been out 2 weeks.
    12-04-08 08:26 PM
    well that makes me feel better and seems logical and not a load of bS, like a lot of this thread now maybe i can sleep lol
    I hope, lol!
    12-04-08 08:30 PM
    the only thing i have against this is that from what i have been told, a replacement unit comes in retail packaging. not to mention others have received replacements in full retail kits.
    I can even explain this one too... (Keep in mind I'm an electrical engineer for a company that does things EXACTLY like this)....

When you first cut out a new product you get all the product working and you get all the software functioning and you get full retail packaging all built up and poof you get the first ones out the door. All the while you've been planning on how you're going to do your service stuff and how you're going to divide it up into serviceable parts and you pass that on to the service department. But they don't really get much done until after the initial release.

So when someone requests a replacement unit and the FRU kits have yet to be made. Such as they haven't gotten the boxes and the labels printed up. (Keep in mind that having proper labels on a box and a box that fits the phone and having the labels on the phone match that that is on the box doesn't happen by magic). This type of work takes processes and time to get things into place. A lot of paperwork has to go through to generate a FRU kit even AFTER the thing is released. Its not as easy as just saying oh well take one off the line throw it in a brown box and ship it. This is the situation where Verizon didn't have any FRU kits so so they did the next best thing they shipped out another retail package and they ate the additional cost of the cables, CDs, manuals and what not in order to provide faster service.

I'd be willing to bet that the delay in units right now is because the slow downs in the software are causing such negative feedback that they are trying to limit their exposure of this software and ensure that they get something better on there for the type of people who don't think to update their phone firmware ever and just go with that which came on the phone from day one.

On a current product that we're about to obsolete we're up to maintenance release 6.8 however we still get units into service that have maintenance release 1.x on them. Keep in mind that 1.x is almost 8 years old now. Some people don't obsessively update their devices (like most of us here do).
    12-04-08 08:35 PM
    So I just called to verify I would be getting the whole kit since I am having issues with battery and phone. I am suppose to be getting it all. He also states that I will be charged for it also. Ill get credit when I return it. Is it possible that the ones who got their replacement quicker are only getting the phone? I have to wait until the 15th for mine. I also second the post that all new phones are going out. I don't think that they have had time to send to rim and then back to vz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 08:42 PM
    Excellent info BT. Thanks for the insight.
    12-04-08 08:43 PM
    So I just called to verify I would be getting the whole kit since I am having issues with battery and phone. I am suppose to be getting it all. He also states that I will be charged for it also. Ill get credit when I return it. Is it possible that the ones who got their replacement quicker are only getting the phone? I have to wait until the 15th for mine. I also second the post that all new phones are going out. I don't think that they have had time to send to rim and then back to vz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It all just depends on who you talk to. I feel bad for a lot of people here, I took my phone in two days ago (had dead corners). The guy ordered me another one on the spot, I got it today in the OEM boxing, with all the manuals, CDs, etc. It has FRU on the side, but it's obviously not a refurb. Luck of the draw I guess..
    12-04-08 08:51 PM
    The "FRU" units are NOT refurbs. Called tonight because I have dead corners on mine that I picked up on release day too and the rep explained it all to me (I didn't even have to ask, she just told me straight up what the deal was).

They are trying to get these replacement units out as quickly as possible. If they have boxed new phones in stock w/ accessories and all, they'll ship that. If not, they just take the new phone itself and put it in the brown box because that speeds up the time it takes to get everything together and shipped out. She read the "refurb terms" to me but broke off and stressed that while it may appear to be a refurb, IT IS A NEW PHONE. I honestly don't think she was pulling my leg either. It's being shipped to me 2-day shipping FedEx. Hopefully the new unit works out better than this one.
    12-04-08 08:58 PM
    Man, I just checked my tracking number, and the replacement is being shipped from TEXAS! I'm in NYC! What's up with that? I thought they had multiple factories?
    12-04-08 09:06 PM
    Man, I just checked my tracking number, and the replacement is being shipped from TEXAS! I'm in NYC! What's up with that? I thought they had multiple factories?
    Out of curiousity, how many digits was your order number on the replacement?? I think I wrote mine down wrong because it says there's no record when I check order status.. thought it was only 5 digits.
    12-04-08 09:09 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD