Hey is anybody aware of proximity sensor on Storm, so that screen will automatically goes off when you start taking on the phone?
    11-15-08 06:25 PM
    There's a sensor in the majority of BB models in which cases that have a sleeper magnet can put the phone into sleep mode when you put it into a case.
    11-15-08 06:28 PM
    Like on the iPhone? It'll shut off the screen to save battery. I hope the Storm has this.
    11-15-08 06:32 PM
    Like on the iPhone? It'll shut off the screen to save battery. I hope the Storm has this.
    Yes just like on iPhone, lets say you hit answer screen is lit, but if you will bring it close to your ear it will turn off, and if you move it again ("lets say need turn off speaker phone, or look for contact") it will turn on.
    11-15-08 06:36 PM
    I think what the OP means is that the screen gets turned off and/or disabled so that when you are talking on it things dont get selected by your face. Things shouldnt be selected by your face because of the need to actually make it "click".
    11-15-08 06:37 PM
    I think what the OP means is that the screen gets turned off and/or disabled so that when you are talking on it things dont get selected by your face. Things shouldnt be selected by your face because of the need to actually make it "click".
    That is exactly right, but still when you have an hour conversation or even worth sitting on hold it will drain battery like crazy.
    11-15-08 06:39 PM
    The light sensor will dim the LCD when it gets too dark. It is besides the receiver, so when you put the phone close to your ear, the LCD will dim, and there is an expiry timer, if there is no user activity for sometime, the LCD will power off. When you put your phone down, you'll probably need to activate the screen by pressing a button or the screen.
    Yes just like on iPhone, lets say you hit answer screen is lit, but if you will bring it close to your ear it will turn off, and if you move it again ("lets say need turn off speaker phone, or look for contact") it will turn on.
    11-15-08 06:43 PM
    The light sensor will dim the LCD when it gets too dark. It is besides the receiver, so when you put the phone close to your ear, the LCD will dim, and there is an expiry timer, if there is no user activity for sometime, the LCD will power off. When you put your phone down, you'll probably need to activate the screen by pressing a button or the screen.
    I think you right about that. It will make more sense, besides this feature wasn't advertised anywhere
    11-15-08 06:56 PM
    It is a standard feature on all the BB devices since Electron.
    I think you right about that. It will make more sense, besides this feature wasn't advertised anywhere
    11-15-08 07:00 PM
    It is a standard feature on all the BB devices since Electron.
    Proximity sensor is standard or light sensor?
    11-15-08 07:13 PM
    It's standard on the Dare...
    11-15-08 07:17 PM
    It's standard on the Dare...
    Don't get me started on that pile of crap.... That phone is what made me take the dive to the blackberry world.
    11-15-08 07:25 PM
    Don't get me started on that pile of crap.... That phone is what made me take the dive to the blackberry world.
    Doesn't change the fact that it has a proximity sensor, and it works well.
    11-15-08 08:38 PM
    Doesn't change the fact that it has a proximity sensor, and it works well.
    It is designed to detect brain matter or rocks?
    11-15-08 08:45 PM
    since it's standard on this "pile of crap" as you call it, it must be standard on the almighty Storm...
    11-15-08 10:08 PM
    It is designed to detect brain matter or rocks?
    Wait, you mean rocks aren't standard issue equipment in everyone's heads? Shoot, I got ripped off. Gonna have to have a talk with the Man Upstairs.
    11-15-08 10:20 PM
    Wait, you mean rocks aren't standard issue equipment in everyone's heads? Shoot, I got ripped off. Gonna have to have a talk with the Man Upstairs.
    Could you please tell me what is wrong with your LG Dare?
    11-16-08 12:08 AM
    Could you please tell me what is wrong with your LG Dare?
    I went through 5 Dare's. The first one worked great for about 38 days. I was using it as a music player in the car. When I got home I unplugged the headphone jack from the phone and it didn't recognize that was done. So from then on I couldn't make or receive call as the phone though there was a headset plugged in. So that phone gets traded in for one of the refurbished units that they keep on hand for this type of situation. The next 4 phones all had the same issue. They would randomly open the "get it now" menu with strange looking icons on the screen. Looked like manila folders with blue stars on them lined up across the screen. The phone would randomly restart with no consistency there either. While using VZnavigator if I received a phone call the call would go OK but when the call was over the phone would lock up on the call details screen. Battery pull was the only fix for that. Also while using VZnav if I received a text message I could reply to the text but the next time that I touched the screen the phone would restart. After 4 phones doing the same thing I was done with that phone. Other than that I loved the design and overall feel of the phone. I realize that it was not a smart phone but the ability to open email attachments would have made that phone a real nice phone.
    11-16-08 08:58 AM
    I went through 5 Dare's. The first one worked great for about 38 days. I was using it as a music player in the car. ...
    Thank you for your reply, because I was thinking about getting LG Dare for my wife, as second line upgrade. Now I will have to look for something else but have now idea what to choose.
    11-16-08 10:41 AM
    I got a Storm yesterday and my biggest initial issue (believe me, I've had several) is that it does NOT appear to have a proximity sensor - and it's VERY easy to press the screen in with you ear and click "buttons". When you enter a call 4 large "buttons" appear on the screen, including "Mute" and "Speaker". In an attempt you get the most volume possible I tend to hold phones against my ear, as opposed to just off of my ear, and every time I end up either muting or putting it onto speaker phone. It's incredibly annoying. Furthermore, it's not possible to lock the screen during a call. They really should at the very least make the user press and hold the in-call buttons for, say, 3 seconds before activating the functionality.

If it does in fact have a proximity sensor please someone post information here on how to activate it. Even Verizon support was shocked about this and was unable to locate information on it.
    11-22-08 07:39 PM
    I got a Storm yesterday and my biggest initial issue (believe me, I've had several) is that it does NOT appear to have a proximity sensor - and it's VERY easy to press the screen in with you ear and click "buttons". When you enter a call 4 large "buttons" appear on the screen, including "Mute" and "Speaker". In an attempt you get the most volume possible I tend to hold phones against my ear, as opposed to just off of my ear, and every time I end up either muting or putting it onto speaker phone. It's incredibly annoying. Furthermore, it's not possible to lock the screen during a call. They really should at the very least make the user press and hold the in-call buttons for, say, 3 seconds before activating the functionality.

If it does in fact have a proximity sensor please someone post information here on how to activate it. Even Verizon support was shocked about this and was unable to locate information on it.
    I've got the same issue. My face is constantly "clicking" the screen during calls. Especially if I quickly cradle it between the shoulder and face to grab something. I hope the new OS fixes it. And the light sensor is finicky too

I've also had an issue 2x with not being able to answer a call because I was typing a msg and the screen didn't work fast enough to switch to call mode and the call went to vm. I assume this is OS optimization as well and will be patient
    11-23-08 11:41 AM
    So is it worth getting a case with a proximity magnet for the Storm? My Storm seems to sleep or hibernate when it is not used for about 30 seconds. What would be the advantages of having one?

Thanks!

After reading some more, I can understand the need for a case with the proximity magnet. Hopefully someone will come out with some decent ones soon.
    Last edited by djohnson1810; 11-28-08 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Further understanding
    11-27-08 01:31 PM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about re: the proximity sensor. I did get a BB branded slip case for the Storm and have set my phone to not ring in "holster". When in the case it will not ring. So it seems to sense the magnet in the case. Is this the "proximity sensor" everyone is talking about? I came from a Treo 700w and that had a touch screen also. I have not had any problems with pressing "buttons" on either the Treo or the Storm.
    CB
    11-30-08 12:59 PM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about re: the proximity sensor. I did get a BB branded slip case for the Storm and have set my phone to not ring in "holster". When in the case it will not ring. So it seems to sense the magnet in the case. Is this the "proximity sensor" everyone is talking about? I came from a Treo 700w and that had a touch screen also. I have not had any problems with pressing "buttons" on either the Treo or the Storm.
    CB
    The OP is clearly speaking of the unwanted activation of mute or speaker when the phone is pressed even slightly against your ear or cheek. A proximity sensor deactivates the screen when the phone is in an call and near your face. The Storm does not have this feature and it is mind boggling that it does not have it. This technology is not new. It has been on the iphone and dare among several others. How could rim miss this one?
    11-30-08 01:47 PM
    anyone heard any recent info on what RIM is going to do regarding implementation of a proximity sensor?
    12-17-08 11:44 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD