Are the mods asleep? Why do we still have a ridiculous thread about jamming paper in your phone stickied and a thread that shows the *right* way to fix the biggest issue on this product occasionally slipping off the first page?

And while we're on the subject of stickies, why are we still looking at ten mostly pointless threads at the top of EVERY PAGE of this forum? Does this forum exist solely for the amusement of the mods or is it intended to be a user community?

--bg
    12-08-08 08:42 AM
    Woah...calm down.
    12-08-08 08:52 AM
    he does make a good point, i cant seem to grasp why the paper trick still up there and the real fix isnt. doesnt add up
    12-08-08 09:04 AM
    There is already a thread protesting the stickies. Most everyone agreed and nothing happened so I would not have too much faith in anything happening.
    12-08-08 09:07 AM
    Woah...calm down.
    Kindly do not confuse righteous indignation with lack of calm!
    12-08-08 09:07 AM
    I add my name to this petition. I am typing on my proper screen fixed storm. Sticky the screen fix thread 90% of storm owners will leave customer service alone once they adjust their screen!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 09:08 AM
    There is already a thread protesting the stickies. Most everyone agreed and nothing happened so I would not have too much faith in anything happening.
    Yes, I noticed that poll and participated in it. Stop the Sticky nonsense won 77-14, and today we have... wait for it.... 9 stickies instead of 10!!! And all but one or two pretty much totally useless

I've had a lot of tech interests over the years that have made me a big participant in forums, one of the best was at dpreview.com, for my dslr lunacy. Now that was a well designed and run forum!

--bg
    12-08-08 09:24 AM
    Rather than the admittedly silly foot-stomping I've just engaged in, does anyone know an email address that might reach the real decision maker behind this forum? Is it Kevin?
    12-08-08 09:25 AM
    PMI, but which is the correct click fix among the various proposed ones? A link to or even the name of that particular thread would be appreciated.
    12-08-08 09:46 AM
    Good lord. What is it about the release of the storm that has brought out every noob wanting to be a mod.

Why can't you guys just try to enjoy CB for what it is and stop b*tching???

12-08-08 09:49 AM
    I agree. The stickies are getting out of hand.

There are just so many people on ths forum that a lot of good questions are hiding by a lot of stupid threads being made. This thread might not be helping because I don't think much will get done but it is worth a try.

There should only be a few stickies. One for apps, one for problems and how to fix them and one for tips/tricks. And not the kind we have up now but more of a list by one person instead of having 100s of people post in the sticky.
    12-08-08 09:52 AM
    Good lord. What is it about the release of the storm that has brought out every noob wanting to be a mod.

Why can't you guys just try to enjoy CB for what it is and stop b*tching???

--- WORD! ---
    12-08-08 09:53 AM
    If more people knew or actually used the Search function, the stickies may not be needed!
    12-08-08 10:01 AM
    PMI, but which is the correct click fix among the various proposed ones? A link to or even the name of that particular thread would be appreciated.
    This one:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/scr...method-109036/
    12-08-08 10:15 AM
    Ditto. Get by with 4 stickies tops. One of them being: HOW TO SEARCH THE FORUMS FOR THE INFO YOU NEED
    12-08-08 11:04 AM
    Thank you very much.
    12-08-08 01:16 PM
    Thank you very much.
    Let us know how it works for you, in either thread. Don't worry if you see a notice of "Sim Card Error" after playing with the screws. Just do a battery pull afterwards and the error message won't come back unless you've *really* loosened the screws too much! As little as a half turn has been all most needed, from what I can tell.

--bg
    12-08-08 01:28 PM
    Look, I tried the screw loosening method and I went back to the paper method for my screen. Here's why:

1. After reviewing Storm teardown video and photos, it is obvious that the screws are, in fact, structural and not just there for adjustment purposes. They bolt the guts of the phone to the back panel in the middle of the device. Anyone who has assembled electronics (particularly with printed circuit boards) will tell you that it is crucial to hardware longevity that the board be (virtually) rigidly supported in lots of places to minimize board flexing, which is very bad for all those tiny interconnects, especially for multi-layered boards.
    2. After loosening the screws, I noticed that the clicking across the screen was, in fact, more even. However, I also noticed that the spring back force of the screen became weaker the more I loosened the screws. This is probably because there is now more play for the screen to move around between the front plate of the phone and the guts behind the screen.
    3. The device has a vibration motor in it for the purpose of silent "ringing" (obviously). I'm not really all that keen on the screws becoming more loose over time as vibrations tend to do to loose screws.
    4. On my phone, the paper method created more dramatic and desireable results without bowing the body of the phone or increasing heat generation (something people have worried about). Frankly, it didn't even take enough paper for me to have to force the battery door shut. All it does is support the back of the guts of the phone better, but only when under pressure. There is no risk of "fatigue failure" in this case, as some have suggested. In fact, any fatigue failure risk is reduced by this fix (for my phone, anyway) because there is less internal flexing of the guts, as opposed to more.

There's nothing wrong with the screw loosening fix. I think it's great that someone figured out that it works. Still, it doesn't mean that the paper fix doesn't have its uses. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages and users should choose whichever one works best for their phone. That being said, I don't think either method's thread should be stickied. This is something that someone could easily find with a search.

-SR-
    12-08-08 02:12 PM
    Let us know how it works for you, in either thread. Don't worry if you see a notice of "Sim Card Error" after playing with the screws. Just do a battery pull afterwards and the error message won't come back unless you've *really* loosened the screws too much! As little as a half turn has been all most needed, from what I can tell.--bg
    Will do. There is a reason why my brother is a surgeon and I am not. So I am going to approach this very carefully. Thanks again.
    12-08-08 02:22 PM
    the screws are, in fact, structural and not just there for adjustment purposes.
    Well... If you have ever worked on a car, you might be aware that typically valve covers have big ol' bolts holding them on, but they're supposed to be only tightened to a very few foot pounds, otherwise the force of the bolts squeezes the soft gasket material so much at the bolt location that the valve cover bows upward between the bolts ... and leaks like a sieve! Obviously this is a berries and oranges comparison (apples and oranges just didn't sound right ), but the point holds, for every bolt there's a "just right" torque setting. It's obvious to me that these screws in my phone reefed down way too tightly, and so are many other people's. I'm sure RIM will address this in future production, they may even redesign the phone so that these particular screws don't pull the screen tighter to the back of the phone as much as they do. Until then, my phone is now so perfect (mechanically) that I don't mind one bit if I have to occasionally nurse the tightness of these screws a bit, as long as it's not every week or whatever, which I'm sure it will not be. If they do move about on their own too much, I won't hesitate to put some Locktite or similar compound on the threads to get them to maintain the perfect position.

On the other hand, the problem with the "add filler" approach is that all materials short of some exotics like titanium, relax more and more over time if pressure is applied to them. Structural materials should not have bending stresses maintained against them *unless they and the product they're in were designed* to be kept under that stress (i.e. bridge trusses). As the material relaxes the problem will worsen and/or return. Unlike the "correct the screw torque setting" fix, the "add filler" approach goes against the physical design of the phone's structure.

Wow, I need to get a life! (Or get back to it )

--bg
    12-08-08 02:42 PM
    blackberryforums has the right topic stickied and that forum is a LOT cleaner than this.. maybe mods can wake up, clean up this forum. its out of hand when page 5 or 6 still has posts from only 3 hours ago and within the first six pages there are at least 6 threads with the same topic
    12-08-08 02:53 PM
    Ditto. Get by with 4 stickies tops. One of them being: HOW TO SEARCH THE FORUMS FOR THE INFO YOU NEED
    Quoted for truth....

If all the new members would use search a little and take the time to look we would have a ton less garbage in this forums and others. Seriously how many threads do me need for the .75, .76, or even the default .65 for installing it or doing a jl_wipe? How many threads for a bad battery? Why not add on to one keep all the info in one place?
    12-08-08 03:01 PM
    Geez whats going on ... sorry, I just woke up.
    12-08-08 03:23 PM
    I think that might be the issue. LOL!
    12-08-08 03:30 PM
    Are you making fun of my title???
    12-08-08 03:32 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD