Hi everyone,

So my Verizon Storm (run on PagePlus) was plugged into a wall charger yesterday when the dog tripped the cord and took the phone down about two feet onto a wood floor. It turned off and then on again on its own. I was able to use it, with the caveat that once the backlight turned off with inactivity, I could not turn it back on. I was able to get it to work to text and make one brief phone call. I planned to back everything up, but at the next restart,it would get to my homescreen and then give me about 30 seconds after login before shutting off. The backlight would stay on and the buttons would stay lit up, but no image. Then, on the next startup, I would get to my login screen (custom wallpaper, VM indicator, and correct time displayed) and then go to white screen with a 523 Error/Reset message. On next restart, it only gets through 28% of "verifying security software" and then I get the 523 message.

Current status: Get "Uncaught Exception 0 > 5" (or something like that) on normal-looking wallpaper and then quickly into App Error 523.

[B]Update[B] It now just starts up normally, passes the security checks, and then goes to the 523 Error/Reset screen at the login screen.

I tried to connect to Desktop Manager and can get to "Enter Password" screen (on laptop) and the password goes through. The computer-to-BB screen lights up on the BB but it never asks me for the Mass Storage password on the device itself. Then Desktop Manager says it cannot communicate with the device, even though it recognize it and beeps whenever I connect/disconnect the BB.

Re: 3rd party apps, I have never loaded any and there is no BES connection. It came with Google Maps.

I'm sure the phone is shot, but I would ideally like to grab some data off there. I read a tip on the official BlackBerry forum:

OK. First start off with the battery out of the phone and the usb cable unplugged. Next open the Desktop Manager, then go into Application Loader. When you get to the part where it asks for the connection type just plug in the usb cable (still leaving the battery out). If the connection changes to usb<pin> or usb<unknown>, hit Next. Keep going through the wizard till you're on the last step, before you hit Install. Now put the battery in and see if the loading operation completes.

Is this at all relevant to my situation? Why can I not located this Application Loader on my laptop (I have newest Desktop Manager version).

Two big questions for you kind folk who help people every day:

1) What would you suggest I do to get my data off of this thing? There appears to be some connectivity and if my custom background shows up, then those media files are still there.

2) Are there any people/firms out there that I could ship this thing to for data recovery? Again, I accept the phone is toast for future use.

Also, what is the reset function, how do I use it, and does it wipe my entire device?

Feel free to castigate me for not backing up regularly. I'm sure kicking myself!

Thank You!!!
    Last edited by savemybb; 10-30-13 at 03:28 PM.
    10-30-13 02:50 PM
    Hi....I've never had a Storm, so I searched for you. I hope this can help.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/error-codes.html
    10-30-13 04:00 PM
    Hi....I've never had a Storm, so I searched for you. I hope this can help.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/error-codes.html
    Thanks! If anyone out there has any info on ideas for getting the data off this device, which is still partially working, I would be very grateful. I understand data recovery is expensive but I would be willing to pay if there's a service or firm that could do this.
    10-30-13 08:27 PM