I realize that the iPhone has been released for quite some time compared to my beloved Storm (and I am a Mac user). The new commercials for the iPhone are aimed at the ability of the iPhone in a business environment (apps for tracking packages, printing from the iPhone). I do have to say that it is pretty impressive. I was wondering, specifically, if anyone has heard of apps for the Storm that allow you to print to a printer from the phone (without connecting it to a computer). I bring that up because I am a Mac user and you all know how cheesy and limited you are when connecting a BB to a Mac. Also, anyone heard of any package tracking apps for the BB Storm? These seem to be the very items that need to be heavily targeted, otherwise the iPhone is treading on BB territory and putting it to shame when utilizing it for basic office type functions like printing, tracking and faxing.

SP
    04-23-09 03:12 PM
    I do realize that Apple (big fan) makes a big deal out of simplicity and ease of use to accomplish what seems to be, at least to the PC world, difficult tasks. They have continued that with the iPhone, according to their new commercial. Is there any hope that simplicity and ease of use (and setup) will be a standard commodity with RIM and BB? I love my Storm, it has features that the iPhone won't have until their new update, which makes it "ahead of the game" in some areas, but severely lacking in others. I am not looking for all the features that make my Storm better than my 21 friends' iPhones, I know them. What I guess I am asking is, are we looking at having to go through 27 different procedures to setup and perform basic procedures, or is BB going to emulate Apple in their #1 selling point (ease of use and user friendly GUI). For instance, the simple fact that I had to borrow a friends PC to upgrade my phone to Bell's current official release. Not only that, it took hours because I was using Vista and didn't know about having to right-click when I opened the file and had to select open as an administrator (or something similar to that). Another example is, on my PBG4, I am running 10.4 and still can't even connect my BB Storm and get it to show up as a drive. After talking with a Verizon rep, he said he couldn't even do it in 10.5. I have been through the threads, none of them helped. These are just examples, curious what some of the more experienced BB users have to offer.

I don't want to get off subject, keep it focused on printing, but just wanted to mention some observations.

SP
    04-23-09 03:40 PM
    No one knows of any printing options from the Storm to a printer? Can you add a usb/bluetooth device to make a printer (with a usb port) bluetooth compatible? Any help would be appreciated.

04-24-09 08:55 AM
    Ah Ha! We will show those fruits (apples) who is boss... We will out do them... We will put a 3.2 MP camera on here and forego the WiFi. That'll teach them. Our customers won't be able to print those photos unless they go through a series of steps and utilizing a PC, but we will wait to release an official update for so long that they will just be gracious to have a Storm that doesn't lock up and require multiple battery pulls a day. Sounds like a scheme that would be cooked up by Dilbert's pointy-haired boss.
    04-24-09 09:13 AM
    I have seen a printing app somewhere. Try app store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 09:56 AM
    I have been through App World, but I haven't seen the printing app you speak of. What would it fall under? Productivity, Business? I will keep looking, it just takes so darn long to load (just for previewing) the App World applications that I feel like I am using dial up internet to watch an episode of American Idol on the Fox website.

Thank you, I will look... AGAIN.

SP
    04-24-09 10:24 AM
    I know you can track packages with VIIGO
    04-24-09 10:46 AM
    There is a company that starts with a "C" that has a driver that allows other BBs to print wirelessly. Maybe they are working on the Storm.
    Last edited by jbdale; 04-24-09 at 11:01 AM.
    04-24-09 10:48 AM
    I hope so! soon!!!
    04-24-09 11:04 AM
    There is a company that starts with a "C" that has a driver that allows other BBs to print wirelessly. Maybe they are working on the Storm.
    How could anyone offer Wi-Fi (not BT) printing on a phone with no Wi-Fi? Were still talking about the 9530, aren't we?
    04-24-09 08:58 PM
    How could anyone offer Wi-Fi (not BT) printing on a phone with no Wi-Fi? Were still talking about the 9530, aren't we?
    Because they are two different features. Wifi works much like a radio and picks up a sequence/channel from a transmitter. There is no data transfer, only the signal. BT, is completely different. It offers open wireless communication with data transfer. So, someone could create a driver for the Storm much like they have already for other BB devices. I wish I could remember the name of that company, darn.
    04-25-09 08:10 AM
    Cortado is the company I think you're thinking of. I was looking at it. Problem is it requires a specific type of BT adapter that I can't find. I think it is OBEX or something like that. eoffice also allows print, but I'm not sure how it functions From there...need to do more research.

04-25-09 08:26 AM
    Cortado is the company I think you're thinking of. I was looking at it. Problem is it requires a specific type of BT adapter that I can't find. I think it is OBEX or something like that. eoffice also allows print, but I'm not sure how it functions From there...need to do more research.

Cortado thats it! Nice work. Even creating an adaptor for the Storm wouldn't be difficult, as the other devices have adaptors. I just remember that I can't print directly from the device, but our phones work with server at work. So I can send or fax a doc from just about anywhere using my email or sms.
    04-25-09 08:41 AM
    04-25-09 08:43 AM
    I have found several programs that claim to work on the storm, but none of them do. I need to print out PDF's on my BB, and done extensive searching on the web, and nothing as of yet. The blackberry talks to my printer, (BT adapter receives the signal and flashes) but nothing ever happens. I have tried it with a ip90 and ip100 both made by Canon. I have tried dynoplex, Cortado, and eoffice. None work!!!
    04-25-09 10:09 AM
    I have been through App World, but I haven't seen the printing app you speak of. What would it fall under? Productivity, Business? I will keep looking, it just takes so darn long to load (just for previewing) the App World applications that I feel like I am using dial up internet to watch an episode of American Idol on the Fox website.

Thank you, I will look... AGAIN.

SP
    Go to the Crackberry App Store - they have an app called Cortado Basic Print. Lets you print photos and text documents. Haven't tried it yet (I just sent the trial to my Storm)
    04-25-09 11:35 AM
    Thank you for the app. I will go look at it now to see how it is supposed to work and what it will require (and if it even works with the Storm). Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

SP
    04-27-09 03:09 PM
    Cortado utilizes Bluetooth technology. I will talk to my employer and ask them to upgrade all 498 printers to ones with Bluetooth capable technology. Then, when I am traveling to a customer site and I need to print an email, I just received that is pertinent to the customer's account, to the localized color laser jet, I can get within just a few feet of their printer only to realize that it is not Bluetooth capable either.

I know this is an elaborate scenario, but is it really going to be this hard to utilize what many would refer to as a premier business tool as a business tool? I guess I could always downgrade to another Blackberry, but even then, it still worries me. Is Bluetooth still the only option on BB phones that have WiFi capabilities?

I have noticed this is one area untouched and unanswered by many of the crackberry experts. Is it all just a mute point? Maybe, if Verizon contracts with iPhone, I will have a Blackberry for fun and an iPhone for all my business needs.

SP
    04-28-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD