Okay so this may sound like an odd request. I have a Storm 9530 on Verizon.
    Love it, works great.
    I have an old voice plan that I love, b/c it's cheap and gives decent # of minutes. You guys know Verizon is pretty expensive, so I wouldn't touch any of these new voice plans with a 10ft pole.

In the rare months where I have a lot of calls to make, I want to be able to buy a Prepaid Phone, pop its sim card into my BB, and make calls with it, without touching my Verizon minutes. (i.e. Use Boost mobile or tmobile prepaid, or whatever really).
    I don't care about unlocking the data plan to work, since that's unlimited on Verizon anyways.

My Questions: Is this possible? How do I accomplish this? If so, do I need to unlock the phone before doing this?
    Will it mess anything up switching sim cards in/out every so often?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    06-05-09 04:33 PM
    well considering there have been many people who have unlocked their phones and gotten them to work on t-mobile/att etc it does sound possible but, if im not mistaken, you would have to tweak the phone to work for that service provider every time you put the sim in so i dont know if it would work the way you want. hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the subject will come by and clear things up more
    06-05-09 04:55 PM
    I don't quite follow the logic you re on VZW with a BB Voice/Data Plan and when you are going to heavy usage you will spend the money and buy a Prepaid sim card? Why not take the money and get a better plan????? As a mater of Fact with the Friends and Family Deal my wife and I REDUCED our monthly usage by over 600 Mins and I dropped our plan saving us about 30 bones a month....
    06-05-09 05:00 PM
    if all you'll need to use it for is voice (not data/mms/etc) you can call vzw global services and tell them you're going to japan (or any non-vodaphone country) and need to unlock your phone to use it there. they'll walk you through that process and give you your code free. at that point all you'll have to do is pop the sim in and it'll work for voice without any software modifications. (you'll have to disable the cdma radio when you do it but that's it).

I'm not sure what you're paying for your bill... but VZW does have a reasonable unlimited BB plan for $150 (Unl msg/data/voice/email). considering that's only $50 more than the $100 450 minute plan... that's what i'd do if i were you.
    06-05-09 05:17 PM
    If you were to use another carriers sim card (which you will) you need to unlock the storm. If its just prepaid then there would be no internet data and just minutes then what you do is put the sim in the phone -> battery pull -> and use the phone as you normally would on vzw. If you need to use the prepaid you go to manage connections -> mobile network options -> turn data services off -> then switch network technology from 1XEV to GSM/UMTS give it about ten seconds then BAM! it should work. then back to verizon you go from GSM/UMTS to 1XEV and then turn the data back on. Remember the device must first be unlocked. Ive tried this with a friends att and tmobile sim cards both worked for voice and text just find. Mind you i did not use any data ( browser, email, bbm, or apps) that require data.
    06-05-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD