I have been thinking about this for a little while. The thing with the keyboard and how you have to press it down for each letter (depending on if you're on landscape or not) to get it to register that letter can get annoying and takes longer. I love the SurePress when I am browsing though, but when I type it just feels slower and I have to do more, not lazy, but I'm looking for convenience.

So, I was thinking, would it be possible to get rid of the SurePress/screen press with software? At least an option to turn it off for typing e-mails or text messages? I saw that the screens will light up if you put your finger on them, so my question was if it would be possible to pass the SurePress and to use that highlighting feature as a registration of what key I want pressed?? Just a thought, and like I said it would be a must to make it optional for e-mails or text messages or whatever, and keep it to the keyboard at least. This little thing would make the storm easier to use, at least for me, but it was just a random thought that just hit me

EDIT: Even if it would mean that the software would be "illegal" by any other contracts RIM, Verizon or any other party have with each other.
    Last edited by nemo-maritime; 02-23-09 at 01:42 PM.
    02-23-09 01:06 PM
    A lot of people, myself included are in the habit of leaving their thumbs on the screen the whole time. So for us, we would have to re-teach our thumbs. But it would be a great option, thats for sure.
    02-23-09 01:14 PM
    There's a big difference between what's possible and what is probable.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probably going to happen any time soon? No.
    02-23-09 01:32 PM
    as far as probable, I would just say no... and leave out the "anytime soon" part.

IIRC, RIM has a deal with the folks who released SurePress and SureType (damned if I don't know the name of the company, tho). I heard that VZW employees even have to say "SurePress screen" when referencing the click feature because of some legalities... they can't just say "the screen clicks". Of course, I'm sure not all of them say it, but whatever.
    02-23-09 01:36 PM
    as far as probable, I would just say no... and leave out the "anytime soon" part.

IIRC, RIM has a deal with the folks who released SurePress and SureType (damned if I don't know the name of the company, tho). I heard that VZW employees even have to say "SurePress screen" when referencing the click feature because of some legalities... they can't just say "the screen clicks". Of course, I'm sure not all of them say it, but whatever.
    this is true they do want us to say sure type and sure press when refering to the screen on the storm.
    02-23-09 01:48 PM
    When the storefront comes out, I think its possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 02:00 PM
    I hope so, I wish the storm was like the iphone, the click screen is the worst part of this thing. I still have 10 days to return this phone just sucks because there's nothing from Telus worth going to.
    02-23-09 02:40 PM
    I think it would be GENIUS!! for RIM to make it possible for us to enable/disable surepress on the keyboard. If they really made a deal with whatever company that made surepress, hopefully they can reconstruct the contract or something. Its not like they're getting rid of surepress entirely. We'd still be using it for everything else on the phone, just not the keyboard. And just think about how much longer the screen will last without the wear and tear of typing with the keyboard. Especially for those who send a lot of emails and texts. I dont have a problem with typing with surepress, I just think it would be better and easier to enable just touch capabilities on the keyboard. Hopefully this happens. By the way, I LOVE MY STORM!!
    02-23-09 02:44 PM
    I wish the storm was like the iphone
    um... yeah... bought a blackberry but wanted an iphone... FWIW - if you wanted an iphone, you should have bought an iphone. If it's not available where you are, then either wait until it is or enjoy what YOU decided to buy.
    02-23-09 02:55 PM
    um... yeah... bought a blackberry but wanted an iphone... FWIW - if you wanted an iphone, you should have bought an iphone. If it's not available where you are, then either wait until it is or enjoy what YOU decided to buy.
    There are several problems with what you said.

1: It's practical
    2: It's rational
    3: It's not a crazy knee-**** reaction
    4: It requires someone accepting responsibility for their actions
    02-23-09 03:35 PM
    Probably true. While it's technically possible, even if it was turned off just for the keyboard, and even if it was just an option that could be toggled on and off... It would break a lot of the continuity of the UI to have such an option. It's one thing if it's a 3rd party app, where RIM can just blame the app developer when Bolt or Opera Mini behave differently from all other Storm apps... If they were to add the option, even just for the keyboard, then it would be THEIR fault every time some user got confused about why sometimes they needed to click the screen and other times they didn't.

Long before you get into any potential contract issues if they are licensing SurePress from someone else, you have a whole host of practical issues.
    02-23-09 03:46 PM
    you have a whole host of practical issues.
    I couldn't agree more. and how would you edit just enough code to say "I don't want to have to click to type, I just want to have to click to select"???

Is it possible? yeah, just about anything is. But if you want a touchscreen phone that you don't have to click to type, there's the voyager or dare or krave or glyde .... part of the appeal of the Storm IS the click screen, er SurePress *TM* (Sorry!), because it helps minimize/eliminate the "oh sh*t, I didn't want to press THAT one. damnit! stop going into other things!!!"
    02-23-09 04:01 PM
    Except I have just over 2 years left on my contract and I pay $49 a month total with tax for unlimited evenings weekends from 5, 500 daytime mins, unliminted incoming calls, 250 ld minutes, unlimited data, email, im, text messaging, call display and voicemail so there's no way in **** I'm cancelling that to go to Rogers just for the iPhone.
    02-23-09 06:09 PM
    how would you edit just enough code to say "I don't want to have to click to type, I just want to have to click to select"???
    In THEORY, if the BB OS is written with strict object orientation, encapsulation, and all the other programming buzzword goodness, it should be fairly easy from a technical standpoint. But making it possible and making it practical are two entirely different things.

All things that most people don't really have any concept of, because they only see the end product which is the result of many many hours of painstaking work. When you have absolutely no idea how much work goes into doing something like this, it's easy to say what a great idea it'd be to put in some feature or another.
    02-23-09 06:12 PM
    Of course it's easy to say it would be nice to have a certain feature, who doesn't do that?
    02-23-09 06:16 PM
    Of course it's easy to say it would be nice to have a certain feature, who doesn't do that?
    Lawn Gnomes?
    02-23-09 06:34 PM
    Snarky little bastards those gnomes...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 06:37 PM
    I thought it would be more fit for a third party app. I doubt that RIM would release something like this, but when (its sure taking long) the App Store ever rolls out, I kind of have a tiny little bit of hope that someone does this down the road. If not in the app store, then as a private project. I agree that it would have to be an app with an on/off option, because it would get old/confusing/annoying at some point.

Its true that there are other phones with this feature, but my thing is with the Storm, so it was just a thought/hope that they would put in something like this some day. Even if its third party (as it most likely would be), free or not. I, and I speak for my self, would be interested in such a feature.

As for people getting the Storm partialy because of the SurePress I cant be sure about that, I think the phone sells itself because of the features. I for one did not care about the SurePress, BUT it is the concept that makes it work after all.
    02-23-09 10:13 PM
    There is a free 3rd party piano app on the forum that works by just touching the screen. It allows u to play the keys with out the sure-press...same thing we all want
    02-23-09 10:23 PM
    There is a free 3rd party piano app on the forum that works by just touching the screen. It allows u to play the keys with out the sure-press...same thing we all want
    That is a start in the direction for sure
    02-24-09 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD