View Poll Results: Did you order a replacement storm?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, mine works great!

83 38.43%
  • I've ordrered/received 1 replacement now

80 37.04%
  • I've ordrered/received 2 replacements now

26 12.04%
  • I've ordrered/received 3 replacements now

8 3.70%
  • I've ordrered/received 4 or more replacements now

6 2.78%
  • I have not ordered a replacement yet, but will soon!

13 6.02%
    Did you get a replacement storm?

I saw somebody else wanted to see a poll to find out how many people actually ordered/received a replacement storm. So here it goes.

Everybody vote yes or no. If yes say how many replacements you have had now. Also please post why you had it replaced.
    Last edited by dcoy82; 12-12-08 at 08:15 PM.
    12-12-08 07:52 PM
    The main option SHOULD be...No, I'm not a whiner.
    12-12-08 07:56 PM
    LOL agree.

"Did you have User Error or did you get a replacement?"
    12-12-08 08:30 PM
    Why they were replaced (all had official update .75 software)

Storm #1 (Made in Canada) - Bought on launch day, after 4 days the "END" key fell off, otherwise it had a perfect screen, not too laggy.....

Storm #2 (Made in Mexico) - Bottom-left corner does not click at all, cannot activate keys in that corner while typing, accelerometer is defective, almost always stays in Landscape mode.

Storm #3 (Made in Mexico) - 3 out of 4 corners of the screen do not click properly, accelerometer still faulty.

Waiting a week or so before requesting Storm #4, hopefully I will get a later build date.

Love the phone and its various features, will keep sending them back until I get one that works properly.
    12-12-08 08:38 PM
    I ordered a replacement but I'm sending the replacement back...

I loosened the screws on the back of mine about 1/4 of a turn and it clicks fine now...the replacement clicked worse and was slower than my original...

The replacement came with .65 on it, I did a wipe and upgraded it to .75...

Overall I'm happy with the storm... I get a bit frustrated answering calls sometimes, but I'm sure that will be addressed in a future update. I upgraded from a Voyager and the touchscreen and functionality are alot better on the Storm, so I'm satisfied...and it'll get better
    12-12-08 08:42 PM
    Why they were replaced (all had official update .75 software)

Storm #1 (Made in Canada) - Bought on launch day, after 4 days the "END" key fell off, otherwise it had a perfect screen, not too laggy.....

Storm #2 (Made in Mexico) - Bottom-left corner does not click at all, cannot activate keys in that corner while typing, accelerometer is defective, almost always stays in Landscape mode.

Storm #3 (Made in Mexico) - 3 out of 4 corners of the screen do not click properly, accelerometer still faulty.

Waiting a week or so before requesting Storm #4, hopefully I will get a later build date.

Love the phone and its various features, will keep sending them back until I get one that works properly.
    Way to hang in there Most non-BB fans would have gave up after the first replacement phone that was truely defective from a hardware perspective.
    12-12-08 08:43 PM
    Decloaking to make my first post. Former Treo user, waited patiently for Storm and picked up on launch day. After allowing a few days to learn BB architecture, I realized that all my issues were not due to learning curve. Experienced click problem with screen, but worse was the rubberband when scrolling and lack of touch response on screen. Installed leaked .0.75 which provided all the previous ly noted improvements. CS rep at Verizon ordered replacement that arrived in two days Fedex. FRU was shipped with all accessories in original VZW packaging (broken seal), and loaded with 0.65 OS. Installed update OTA before synching up. Has been pretty much okay since. I expect further software updates will address some of the continuing issues. A dedicated touchscreen OS would probably remedy most of the quirks. Nonetheless this device has tremendous capability.

P.S.-Both units had the first part# that has been posted throughout the forum and both were built in Canada. This forum rocks!
    12-12-08 09:32 PM
    Or how about "Yes, because I do not want to have a piece of credit card under the battery of a device I paid $250 for."

It's not whining when you're right.
    12-12-08 09:34 PM
    Or how about "Yes, because I do not want to have a piece of credit card under the battery of a device I paid $250 for."

It's not whining when you're right.
    Agree 100%
    12-12-08 09:35 PM
    Decloaking to make my first post. Former Treo user, waited patiently for Storm and picked up on launch day. After allowing a few days to learn BB architecture, I realized that all my issues were not due to learning curve. Experienced click problem with screen, but worse was the rubberband when scrolling and lack of touch response on screen. Installed leaked .0.75 which provided all the previous ly noted improvements. CS rep at Verizon ordered replacement that arrived in two days Fedex. FRU was shipped with all accessories in original VZW packaging (broken seal), and loaded with 0.65 OS. Installed update OTA before synching up. Has been pretty much okay since. I expect further software updates will address some of the continuing issues. A dedicated touchscreen OS would probably remedy most of the quirks. Nonetheless this device has tremendous capability.

P.S.-Both units had the first part# that has been posted throughout the forum and both were built in Canada. This forum rocks!
    Decloaking...I like that. Welcome to the daylight.
    12-12-08 11:12 PM
    Bump for votes
    12-13-08 10:13 AM
    I also am a newbie! Just switched from my treo on release day. Love the phone but it has had a few bumps along the way. I just got home from the store and charged up the new storm and saw that the screen had a dead spot that wouldn't click. They replaced it for me on the spot. I almost feel guilty now because my replacement storm will arrive Monday. I was having the battery issues that we have all heard about so VZ replaced it. I think it is amazing that they won't admit that there may be an issue with battery life. Anyway my battery life has started to improve so I feel guilty about getting the replacement but we will see how the battery life goes.

Overall I love the phone. Is my first BB and there is a definite learning curve.

Different question: Is it possible to view and edit calendar and contacts from the desktop and sync them to the storm like you can with the treo?
    12-13-08 11:37 AM
    I also am a newbie! Just switched from my treo on release day. Love the phone but it has had a few bumps along the way. I just got home from the store and charged up the new storm and saw that the screen had a dead spot that wouldn't click. They replaced it for me on the spot. I almost feel guilty now because my replacement storm will arrive Monday. I was having the battery issues that we have all heard about so VZ replaced it. I think it is amazing that they won't admit that there may be an issue with battery life. Anyway my battery life has started to improve so I feel guilty about getting the replacement but we will see how the battery life goes.

Overall I love the phone. Is my first BB and there is a definite learning curve.

Different question: Is it possible to view and edit calendar and contacts from the desktop and sync them to the storm like you can with the treo?
    If you use Outlook for your canendar and contacts, it'll sync with that through Desktop Manager
    12-13-08 12:23 PM
    I got 2 replacements, both of them are pretty much the same.
    12-13-08 12:32 PM
    Got replacement storm on Monday and it was worse then the original. Its a cool phone but I don't have the patience to wait. Sure there are going to be problems but seriously.....I went back to my curve yesterday. Kudos to those who are holding out. FYI to anyone thinking about changing: Verizon tried to charge me a $35 restock fee. After a little arguing over the fact that the second phone was worse then the first they waived the restocking fee. Not to mention this is the first phone I have returned in 6 years. I am very interested in the stats on returns and exchanges. And no, thats not whining- the flamers have almost become as obnoxious as the new people complaining.
    12-13-08 12:33 PM
    First time post here. This my first Blackberry, and my first smartphone (though I've been a Palm user for years). Mine is working great, I have no problems clicking, and no preconceived ideas about how fast it should work. Battery life isn't great, but I've kept running programs to a minimum and turned GPS off unless I'm using it, and can get a full day out of it. (I have used the phone a lot, though.) Long story short, no replacement for me, at least yet.
    12-13-08 12:39 PM
    Got replacement storm on Monday and it was worse then the original. Its a cool phone but I don't have the patience to wait. Sure there are going to be problems but seriously.....I went back to my curve yesterday. Kudos to those who are holding out. FYI to anyone thinking about changing: Verizon tried to charge me a $35 restock fee. After a little arguing over the fact that the second phone was worse then the first they waived the restocking fee. Not to mention this is the first phone I have returned in 6 years. I am very interested in the stats on returns and exchanges. And no, thats not whining- the flamers have almost become as obnoxious as the new people complaining.
    I agree. I think most people who are complaining about hardware have legit reasons for it. nobody wants to put out that much money and have a defective phone. some of the hardware problems have been pretty bad.
    12-13-08 01:03 PM
    Replacement #1 was for dead pixels and the ever famous mushy corner near the BB button.

Replacement #2 was for a different click issue, the screen was hitting the housing or something and resulted in two distinct clicks when typing, making the screen "crunchy".

So far so good with the second replacement, flashed with .76, fast, great clicking, solid phone.
    12-13-08 01:12 PM
    I'm on my second storm. First storm had dust under the screen. My replacement doesn't have any...yet. Both don't have screen click problems. End button on my second feels a little loose. If it falls off or if there is dust, ill get a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 01:55 PM
    I'm on my third one and this one is generally good.

On the first on the accelerometer sometimes wouldn't work for up to a minute (probably would have been fixed by updating the OS to .75 but didn't wait)

The second one had a bad corner for clicking that was driving me nuts.

I got mine at Best Buy. When I took the second one back I asked to try the one they were going to replace it with before changing the number over and it had some bad screen spots for clicking as well. They opened another box and that one was good.

It seems to me that there are some definite quality control problems with the Storm. However, I like the features enough to stick with it until getting a good one - which I now have.
    12-13-08 02:50 PM
    I'm on my third one and this one is generally good.

On the first on the accelerometer sometimes wouldn't work for up to a minute (probably would have been fixed by updating the OS to .75 but didn't wait)

The second one had a bad corner for clicking that was driving me nuts.

I got mine at Best Buy. When I took the second one back I asked to try the one they were going to replace it with before changing the number over and it had some bad screen spots for clicking as well. They opened another box and that one was good.

It seems to me that there are some definite quality control problems with the Storm. However, I like the features enough to stick with it until getting a good one - which I now have.
    it's frustrating because there is so much difference between the ones with good hardware. it seems like they need to crack down in the quality control department.
    12-13-08 06:09 PM
    Keep the votes coming in and let us know why you replaced it
    12-14-08 07:34 PM
    lower left corner stopped, "clicking." my replacement is expected this tuesday.
    12-14-08 08:09 PM
    I replaced it because the camera sucks its worst than my curve so this is my third place it won't render some websites other than that i think its the greatest device of all times honestly.
    12-14-08 09:56 PM
    Both lower left and right corners don't click. A replacement is on it's way.
    12-14-08 10:12 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD