View Poll Results: Is your brand new (non-refurb) Storm good or defective?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The brand new one(s) is/are good and working well so far

12 85.71%
  • Got brand new one(s) that are bad / had to go back

2 14.29%
    From my time in the forums, it seems the general practice is avoid the refurbed Storms if possible, but of those who got brand new replacements, were they better, or defective / failed in the short term?

I am trying to get an answer as to whether the build quality has improved as time goes on.

This should only include:
    1. Hardware related problems like buttons falling off, screen click issues, dust under the screen, screen colors being off, etc.
    2. Good means without modifications (screws loosened, shims / stickers, etc.)

If you comment, can you give your PRD number, when you got it, and where it was made?

I handle some I.T. where I work, and would like to give informed answers to those who have bad Storms whether asking for a brand new one makes any difference.

I've been lucky - my December built unit works fine to this day, so I need some outside input.
    Last edited by TBacker; 04-26-09 at 11:33 AM.
    04-26-09 09:43 AM
    I got an unlocked Storm from a guy and I believe it was a refurb. It seems fine to me. The screen sort of floats around and can wiggle back and forth, but I think that is true for all storms.

Back when I had trouble with my Bold, I had to call AT&T and swap out my refurb three times, then they ended-up giving me a new one that worked great.
    04-26-09 09:54 AM
    You make two assumptions that aren't necessarily true.

1. "Most everyone here knows to avoid the refurbed Storms if possible"

2. This sentence implies there is something inherently wrong with the refurbs which I don't believe is true.

The only real advantage of getting a new phone versus a refurb is you get the accessories that come in the box and may not be asked to return the old ones.

Just a brief search of this forum would reveal that most returns are due to user problems not the phone and the ones returned for real defects have been "refurbished" to correct the defect.

There are guys on here who have gotten 5 or 6 phones for click problems or others because they didn't like the screen color, this list is endless of BS problems.
    04-26-09 10:40 AM
    You make two assumptions that aren't necessarily true.

1. "Most everyone here knows to avoid the refurbed Storms if possible"

2. This sentence implies there is something inherently wrong with the refurbs which I don't believe is true.
    This is based on what I have generally seen on the forums. I'll expand this poll to confirm or rebut this (if I can figure out how to add poll options).

The only real advantage of getting a new phone versus a refurb is you get the accessories that come in the box and may not be asked to return the old ones.

Just a brief search of this forum would reveal that most returns are due to user problems not the phone and the ones returned for real defects have been "refurbished" to correct the defect.
    This is more your opinion, and again, the reason for this poll. I am trying to get an answer as to whether the build quality has improved as time goes on. I don't subscribe to the idea that most returns for mechanical issues are because of picky or uninformed people.
    Last edited by TBacker; 04-26-09 at 11:13 AM.
    04-26-09 11:06 AM
    Anyone know how to add poll questions, or if it even possible?
    04-26-09 11:21 AM
    After my Storm was stolen, I received a replacement made in Hungary. I adjusted the click with the adjustment screws and after that It was great. The hardware works great but the OS and the software leave a bit to be desired.

George
    04-26-09 11:21 AM
    bump

10 char
    04-26-09 07:04 PM
    I personaly cant agree with staying away from refurbs. Ive had 3 differant Storms, 1st one would not click at all at the bottom of the screen so i took it back to a Verizon store and they gave me another brand new one, within 2 days it wouldnt stop rebooting every hour so i called Verizon corp. and they sent me a refurbed and havent had a problem since. My refurbed one works flawlessly, im running .132 and have 10 apps. on it. Battery and memory is great. I know all differant phones have differant problems but refurbs arent always that bad. Just my 2 cents.
    04-26-09 08:45 PM
    I personaly cant agree with staying away from refurbs. Ive had 3 differant Storms, 1st one would not click at all at the bottom of the screen so i took it back to a Verizon store and they gave me another brand new one, within 2 days it wouldnt stop rebooting every hour so i called Verizon corp. and they sent me a refurbed and havent had a problem since. My refurbed one works flawlessly, im running .132 and have 10 apps. on it. Battery and memory is great. I know all differant phones have differant problems but refurbs arent always that bad. Just my 2 cents.
    I would have to agree. Refurbs have been gone over by the refurb department of RIM so if anything they shouldnt have any hardware issues.
    04-26-09 09:01 PM
    They sure do a good job going over those refurbs before they send them out....but I guess a phone with a screen that doesn't click is easy to miss...

But if you're phone doesn't work because of a defect, you should get a new phone not a refurb. Complain, complain, complain, and be mean...they will send you a new one!
    04-26-09 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD