Somebody on here mentioned not being able to use polarized glasses when using the Storm in landscape view.
    So I tried this and they are correct, but
    I noticed that the the build number starting with 2 made in Mexico does not allow this but the model build starting with 1 made in Canada is not affected by the Polarized glasses.
    This would make it 2 different types of screen right?

What makes it do this one one and not the other?
    01-15-09 12:28 AM
    How can I check to are where my storm was made

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 01:03 AM
    I have a pair of polarized Oakley GasCans and my unit is Mexico 5 and I have not had any trouble with landscape while wearing them. Weird. Maybe it's because I just have the shipping film over my screen and not an after market screen protector?
    01-15-09 01:08 AM
    different brands of polarized lenses will have slightly different effects. I have no issues with my oakley polarized lenses and my storm.
    01-15-09 01:09 AM
    Shouldn't matter if it says made in Canada or Mexico.... The screen is made by a 3rd party manufacturer. When you see the made in Canada or Mexico sticker, all it means is that the parts were put together there to assemble the phone... Global manufacturing 101.
    A bigger factor is the angle you're looking at the screen from, and whether or not you have the screen protector on.
    Last edited by widdlewade; 01-15-09 at 01:29 AM. Reason: left out info and spelling
    01-15-09 01:22 AM
    All polarized lenses do anyway is cut through glare, so I'm not sure how they would affect seeing the screen in a negative way.
    01-15-09 01:40 AM
    I know all the different factors but....
    I am using the same polarized glasses and looking at my new storm from Canada and my old storm from Mexico and the screen in landscape mode for the Mexico model darkens where as the Canada one does not.
    I just thought it was a little weird.
    There is a guy on here who had also mentioned not being able to use his Storm in Landscape mode when wearing his polarized Glasse
    01-15-09 02:37 AM
    To quicken the explanation of LCD panels, I took an excerpt from "How stuff works". I don't have a problem on my Storm, but my MacBook Pro limits the angles I can rotate my head clock/counterclock/wise with polarized lenses on. Here's the read.

To create an LCD, you take two pieces of polarized glass. A special polymer that creates microscopic grooves in the surface is rubbed on the side of the glass that does not have the polarizing film on it. The grooves must be in the same direction as the polarizing film. You then add a coating of nematic liquid crystals to one of the filters. The grooves will cause the first layer of molecules to align with the filter's orientation. Then add the second piece of glass with the polarizing film at a right angle to the first piece. Each successive layer of TN molecules will gradually twist until the uppermost layer is at a 90-degree angle to the bottom, matching the polarized glass filters.
    01-15-09 02:57 AM
    Yeah my Maui Jim sunglasses do this. but only sometimes. Some of the time the screen is completely blacked out when looking at it, sometimes its only dimmed significantly. Its weird and i'm trying to figure out what causes the sometime this, sometime that. And yes I am looking at it in in landscape
    01-15-09 03:35 AM
    Rudy Project Itialian Sports Frames makes a Lens that is 30% clearer than the Poly Maui and Oakley use and is designed to let you read LCD displays (polarized Film). It was reviewed and given the award as Best Sports Sunglass in Outside Mag last year.
    It the Rudy Project Zyon with Impact X Check it out i have some an went back to a pair not impactx and the difference in readability was remarkable.
    01-15-09 05:56 AM
    Polarizing films has an interesting effect on screens in case you guys don't know. It does exactly that. Polarizes the screen. Here's an example with a digital watch;

Normal:

But when you turn it 90 degrees look what happens:

So when you turn your Storm 90 degrees, guess what happens.
    01-15-09 06:57 AM
    That's a great demo of the effect. Thanks!

I posted this link when this discussion came up before...

Randolph Engineering - Aviator

The "Neutral Gray non-Polarized" is the Air Force approved ones because they won't affect your view of aviation instruments. I've had mine for over ten years now and I never leave the ground without them.
    Last edited by GpCaptMandrake; 01-15-09 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added link
    01-15-09 07:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD