ok, so i tried to follow the directions in upgrading my OS to .148 and my Storm is now stuck on a white screen with what looks like a BB and Computer with two arrows in the middle...did i F something up or is it installing?

please tell me its the later?!
    05-22-09 08:44 PM
    That's the right screen. What is your computer doing? Is it still loading things onto your Storm? It can take a while for it to finish but if it has been a LONG time it is possible that something froze up. How long ago did you start the process?
    05-22-09 08:55 PM
    ummmm i dont know....where do i find out what its doing?

my Desktop Manager says "Disconnected Blackberry" down in my taskbar but when i open it says "The Operation Was Successful!"

when i look at my computer to see if the light is blinking like it is doing something..it blinks a bit so im guessing its doing something. I leave for Italy and if I screwed up my BB i might cry grown man tears.
    Last edited by nodnarbnap; 05-22-09 at 09:00 PM.
    05-22-09 08:56 PM
    Just look at the computer screen and see if the progress bars are moving. It may be moving slow or not at all for a few minutes but should eventually move. You can ignore what the Storm screen is doing as long as the loader is doing something.
    05-22-09 09:00 PM
    That's the right screen. What is your computer doing? Is it still loading things onto your Storm? It can take a while for it to finish but if it has been a LONG time it is possible that something froze up. How long ago did you start the process?
    30-45 mins i would say....at most an hour. and thats pushing it big time.
    05-22-09 09:01 PM
    Are you using Vista or Windows 7 or are you using XP?
    05-22-09 09:02 PM
    Just look at the computer screen and see if the progress bars are moving. It may be moving slow or not at all for a few minutes but should eventually move. You can ignore what the Storm screen is doing as long as the loader is doing something.
    here is a screen shot....

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3356/65543198.jpg
    05-22-09 09:04 PM
    Are you using Vista or Windows 7 or are you using XP?
    I am running Vista 64
    05-22-09 09:05 PM
    Okay no big deal. You are just going to learn something new is all. First you are going to have to apply the Vista USB fix. Follow the instructions carefully and then when you are done we can move to the next step.

"Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
    Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub and then click Properties.
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
    Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager."
    05-22-09 09:10 PM
    Okay no big deal. You are just going to learn something new is all. First you are going to have to apply the Vista USB fix. Follow the instructions carefully and then when you are done we can move to the next step.

"Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
    Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub and then click Properties.
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
    Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager."
    ok, i followed those steps and all of my 8-10 USB Root Hubs are unchecked. The computer also says "Device is working properly"
    05-22-09 09:15 PM
    Okay, I just assumed that Vista put the USB to sleep and disconnected you. Check your phone and the loader and if they are still saying the same thing I would suggest that perhaps now is the time to unplug your phone and try a battery pull. It is possible nothing happened and your phone will boot normally. If not, it should throw up an error code. If it didn't install anything we will have to figure out what was wrong with your process.
    05-22-09 09:20 PM
    Okay, I just assumed that Vista put the USB to sleep and disconnected you. Check your phone and the loader and if they are still saying the same thing I would suggest that perhaps now is the time to unplug your phone and try a battery pull. It is possible nothing happened and your phone will boot normally. If not, it should throw up an error code. If it didn't install anything we will have to figure out what was wrong with your process.
    ok i unplugged my USB and it went right back to normal. like nothing ever happened. didnt even need to battery pull.
    05-22-09 09:22 PM
    Well, that is certainly good news. So the question is, leave it that way since you are leaving soon or still try to go for it?
    05-22-09 09:24 PM
    go to Options --> About

the third row, what does it say?
    05-22-09 09:28 PM
    go to Options --> About

the third row, what does it say?
    it says im still running .75
    05-22-09 09:39 PM
    Well, that is certainly good news. So the question is, leave it that way since you are leaving soon or still try to go for it?
    i would love to be running .148 but i dont know if its going to work for me...i think vista and DM dont like one another.
    05-22-09 09:40 PM
    I run Linux at home exclusively so I do all my upgrading at college. I just download the .exe for the OS I want to install and click on it. It loads everything and then it asks if I want to run Loader. I run it and then it backs everything up and loads the OS and then restores. So easy. Then I uninstall it off the school computer. That is XP but I know lots of people on here use Vista.
    05-22-09 09:43 PM
    i would love to be running .148 but i dont know if its going to work for me...i think vista and DM dont like one another.
    Since you applied the USB fix, it should work. I have performed numerous OS updates on Vista 64.

Look to be sure the new os is installed on your computer:

Program Files(86)/Comon Files/Research in Motion/Shared/Loader Files and you should see a folder for each OS installed on your computer. If the one you want is there then go back up to the Research in Motion folder and click on the AppLoader folder, scroll down and remove the Vendor file and then scroll back up to the Loader.exe and double click it and choose to install the OS.

If you do not see your new Os in the first part of this process, then you need to install it to your PC.

Be sure to have performed a backup of your data and third party apps using DM before beginning this process.
    05-22-09 11:19 PM
    Anyone mind walking me though upgrading from .132 to .148? I downloaded .148 already.

Thanks
    05-22-09 11:32 PM
    Anyone mind walking me though upgrading from .132 to .148? I downloaded .148 already.

Thanks
    install .148.exe file on your PC, uninstall any older OS builds you have on your PC, you can keep the .exe, just go to control panel and uninstall apps and remove any old OS builds...

once installed, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete "vendor.xml"

once that is done, disconnect from internet, run DM "as administrator" (vista only) and plug in your device. should prompt you to upgrade.

i've given you the "how to avoid crap' process, to cover your **** basically...
    05-23-09 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD