Ok so I went down to my local VZW store in Manhattan cash in hand ready to get a Storm to try it out. The sales rep/store manager told me that there was a restocking fee etc.. I said, fine let me just get it.. he basicly then told me to hold off till monday because there is an updated storm coming to the store "i'm expecting on monday but not definite".

Again, please don't jump down my throat, I know that store reps generally don't know anything, etc.. I'm just relaying what he told me and I found it odd he would turn away a customer ready to pay for the phone right now unless maybee there was some truth that there was an updated phone coming to the store on monday. Maybee its just a new stock of phones with the new OS loaded from the factory, maybee more, who knows really.
    12-12-08 05:25 PM
    first of all... thank you for posting this with a disclaimer.. too many people post stuff they hear as fact.

Based on the situation... it is odd that he would turn you away like that. If it was just a software update then you could easily do that yourself.
    12-12-08 05:31 PM
    Thanks for the info. I would bet that the clerk was referring to additional stock, not a new model.

Mods, can you please create a section for the posts that fall under the category of:
    * A clerk told me...
    * I heard from CS...
    * My cousin's friend's roommate's boss's sister works for RIM, and she told me...
    * I was drinking my tea today, and the tea leaves told me...
    12-12-08 05:33 PM
    yes but you also have to remember those guys assume that everyone who is buying a phone doesn't know a thing about them..

so it could very well be just the new os..

if you ever stood in a verizon store and watched the reps teach people there new phone.. they start with the assumption that the person doesn't have a clue..
    12-12-08 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the info. I would bet that the clerk was referring to additional stock, not a new model.

Mods, can you please create a section for the posts that fall under the category of:
    * A clerk told me...
    * I heard from CS...
    * My cousin's friend's roommate's boss's sister works for RIM, and she told me...

there is a entire forum for it

its called news and rumors which people fail to use..
    12-12-08 05:35 PM

* A clerk told me...
    * I heard from CS...
    Why is it that you find it necessary to post this useless nonsense? The OP was only trying to pass along some information. He didn't claim it was fact or that he even took it as such. If you don't put any stock in the information, then don't rely on it, but don't assume that it's at all necessary to post with some smart*** comment. Your immaturity is showing.
    12-12-08 05:36 PM
    I assume that your upgrading or returning a phone you just got to get this right, seeings how you said a restocking fee.

If that's the case, then he most likely only had a couple in stock and the VZW sales reps make a bigger commission off of new customers than they do on upgrades/swapouts.

This might not be the case, but I'm willing to bet that is the case, and he'll have more in stock on Monday
    12-12-08 05:38 PM
    Or maybe the store was just simply out of stock and wanted to get rid of you?
    yes but you also have to remember those guys assume that everyone who is buying a phone doesn't know a thing about them..

so it could very well be just the new os..

if you ever stood in a verizon store and watched the reps teach people there new phone.. they start with the assumption that the person doesn't have a clue..
    i have to agree 100%, i walked into a Verizon Store earlier today because i was interested in dropping the storm and making the jump to the curve, and i knew basically everything about the phone, and the place was dead empty so the guy was just sitting there waiting to answer my questions, i was asking him questions that i knew that answers to. you wouldn't believe how many wrong answers, or unsure answers he was giving me. it was ridiculous. He basically knew nothing about the phone if not just simple basics
    i have to agree 100%, i walked into a Verizon Store earlier today because i was interested in dropping the storm and making the jump to the curve, and i knew basically everything about the phone, and the place was dead empty so the guy was just sitting there waiting to answer my questions, i was asking him questions that i knew that answers to. you wouldn't believe how many wrong answers, or unsure answers he was giving me. it was ridiculous. He basically knew nothing about the phone if not just simple basics

yes and it's not necessarily that I am trying to down these people its more the fact that most of the reps are students and such and may not care about the job much or may not be a tech freak or they want to make there commission. When you stand in a store that gets all kinds of phones new etc after a while it may be hard for some people to keep up with knowing every little thing..

I have come across some pretty intelligent reps so It isn't all of them.. I am just saying in general if you walk into a car lot the guy wants to sell you the car its no different any were else..

if you return the phone at a later date the person loses there commission so maybe he wasn't turning you away but making sure he could keep his commission when you buy it
    12-12-08 05:46 PM
    Or maybe the store was just simply out of stock and wanted to get rid of you?
    Absolutly that was the assumption I made at first since I know these sales reps will say anything to keep a customer. I just assumed he told me that so I wouldnt walk down the block to another VZW store to get a phone from another store that had it in stock. Hes hoping I will wait for a 'new' storm and come back monday.

Again this is my assumption but I have no idea if there really is a new storm coming monday (which would likely be a model just preloaded with the new OS) or a new hardware revision or just a sales tactic to make sure I return to his store because they have no stock. Its a flip of the coin as to what the truth actually is, but interesting none the less.
    12-12-08 05:47 PM
    Why is it that you find it necessary to post this useless nonsense? The OP was only trying to pass along some information. He didn't claim it was fact or that he even took it as such. If you don't put any stock in the information, then don't rely on it, but don't assume that it's at all necessary to post with some smart*** comment. Your immaturity is showing.
    Because of the numerous posts that fall under those categories of "someone told me" and with non-descriptive titles.

If you're happy with a main forum filled with rumors and unconfirmed innuendo, then good for you.

I don't think the OP was a bad post at all; in fact I agree that he was trying to relay information, and moreover I'm glad he also understands it's just an employee at a store providing that info. I'm pointing out that we need to separate those posts into their own section (as in noaim's suggestion).
    12-12-08 05:50 PM
    A week (or less) before the Storm was launched, I asked a VZW sales rep if he knew anything about the Storm.

His response: "Storm? What's that?"
    12-12-08 05:53 PM
    * A clerk told me...
    * I heard from CS...
    Post of the day! LMAO!
    12-12-08 05:56 PM
    I think it's fair to say that if your Storm is built anytime in Dec, you're probably fine. I have seen some that were built after 11/27/08 and I can tell you they seem to be a bit better fit then the originals were back on release day.

The other thing the rep might have been talking about is the OS on the device. They are now shipping with .75 on them. Could have been that and he simply thought it was a completely new chassis.
    12-12-08 06:01 PM
    Civic, how do you know when it is built?
    I'm getting mine tomorrow so would that mean since Telus didn't release until Dec that it's a good possiblity that it was built in Dec or will I need to check something?
    thanks
    12-12-08 06:07 PM
    yes and it's not necessarily that I am trying to down these people its more the fact that most of the reps are students and such and may not care about the job much or may not be a tech freak or they want to make there commission. When you stand in a store that gets all kinds of phones new etc after a while it may be hard for some people to keep up with knowing every little thing..

I have come across some pretty intelligent reps so It isn't all of them.. I am just saying in general if you walk into a car lot the guy wants to sell you the car its no different any were else..

if you return the phone at a later date the person loses there commission so maybe he wasn't turning you away but making sure he could keep his commission when you buy it
    Thank you for not assuming the worst! It's VERY hard to keep up on all of the phones that are offered.
    12-12-08 06:12 PM
    Civic, how do you know when it is built?
    I'm getting mine tomorrow so would that mean since Telus didn't release until Dec that it's a good possiblity that it was built in Dec or will I need to check something?
    thanks
    There's a date on the side of the box (the side with all the bar codes).
    12-12-08 06:13 PM
    I think what VZW meant was the first batch of phones that came out the 21st of Nov. sucked A$$ (Bad screen click). So they are bringing in the updated ones with the fixed screens.
    Last edited by mudavo; 12-12-08 at 07:24 PM.
    12-12-08 06:14 PM
    There's a date on the side of the box (the side with all the bar codes).
    Thanks for the info.
    12-12-08 07:26 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    Anytime. I'm sure you'll be glad to have yours tomorrow I know you have been wanting it for a while now
    12-12-08 07:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD