After going into the ocean with my first iPod (I was drunk) and getting my second iPod stolen from my car with the window smashed, I haven't had a mobile mp3 player for a while. Needless to say, I was greatly pleased to have the ability to play mp3's on the Storm.

I go on Desktop manager, and I see three options for synching music. I choose the one that synchs from my iTunes as that is what I use. First try was a no go. After it finished synching, all the files were corrupted and I couldn't play a single song. I try it again, and this time it works. I might have done something wrong on my end the first time, so I won't blame RIM for that (even though I don't recall doing anything different the second time). I like how the album art comes out with the songs and that the sound quality is better than I expected from the speakers. I also like the fact that I can plug in my iPod headphones directly and use it as if its an iPod. Unfortunately, the battery life isn't too great on the Storm, so I'm always semi-stressing about the battery while enjoying the music (just ordered a car charger, so hopefully that will help my worries).

Although I appreciate the music function (as opposed to not having it), I noticed that it's not really perfected yet. I was playing a song and wanted to do something else. Just press the red button and be done with it, right? WRONG. The music keeps playing and playing and playing. One time I was in my room listening to music on the storm, my friend received an incoming call. Just to be courteous, I decided to turn off my music in case he couldn't hear the caller. I press the END button and it just goes to the menu screen and continues to play the music. I had to physically go back into the music app and press stop. IMO, pressing the RED button while playing music should automatically stop the music from playing.

Last night I was charging my phone through the wall charger. I wanted to listen to some music and started playing a song. Lo and behold, the music buttons (play, stop, next song, etc.) on the screen flash like crazy as if im having a seizure. the buttons look fine if im not charging, but there seems to be a glitch for the buttons when playing music while charging.
    12-18-08 01:04 PM
    You could always use the mute button on the phone rather than stopping the music in that situation.

I like being able to play music and surf the internet at the same time.
    12-18-08 01:36 PM
    I'm not a fan of the music player on the Storm either. I was kind of hoping that w/ an 8g sd card I was going to be able to get rid of my iPod but w/ the music and volume quality on the Storm in addition to the lack of functionality (like rew or ff a song - not the entire track) I had to keep my iPod. I'm hoping for an update that improves the music player but we'll see...
    12-18-08 01:41 PM
    I'm not a fan of the music player on the Storm either. I was kind of hoping that w/ an 8g sd card I was going to be able to get rid of my iPod but w/ the music and volume quality on the Storm in addition to the lack of functionality (like rew or ff a song - not the entire track) I had to keep my iPod. I'm hoping for an update that improves the music player but we'll see...
    Tapping the screen on the song name will bring up the play bar. From there you can drag the marker to rewind or fast forward to a differnt part of the song. Overall, I think the media player on the storm is fine. Sound quality over A2DP is excellent and volume is more than adequate.
    12-18-08 03:27 PM
    Tapping the screen on the song name will bring up the play bar. From there you can drag the marker to rewind or fast forward to a differnt part of the song. Overall, I think the media player on the storm is fine. Sound quality over A2DP is excellent and volume is more than adequate.
    Agreed, its LOUD by comparison to my 6800. The media player is also excellent, the only improvement for me personally would be a cover-flow of some type. S2P for winmo had a great version of this.
    12-18-08 03:31 PM
    you can mute the player by pressing the button on the top right corner or hit the stop/pause button on screen. I am quite happy with the media player... my only issue is its not as fine tuned when ff through tracks... not that i do that much at all but that is my only complaint... (small one)
    12-18-08 03:38 PM
    I love using my Storm to listen to music. My iPod touch has been collecting dust! I hated carrying around two devices. I have all of my album art on the Storm and they look great on that beautiful screen. I have Spiderman, The Matrix, and a bunch of my own films on my Storm as well and they look amazing. Could not be happier with the Storm media player.
    12-18-08 03:42 PM
    just an FYI if you guys didnt know this already. you can change tracks by pressing and holding the volume button. volume up is next track and volume down is previous track. this even works with the screen being locked. which is wonderful for me when i have my storm in my pocket knowing nothing will open by accident and allowing me to change tracks on the fly rather than taking it out and clicking the screen.
    12-18-08 03:47 PM
    just an FYI if you guys didnt know this already. you can change tracks by pressing and holding the volume button. volume up is next track and volume down is previous track. this even works with the screen being locked. which is wonderful for me when i have my storm in my pocket knowing nothing will open by accident and allowing me to change tracks on the fly rather than taking it out and clicking the screen.
    very cool, thanks!

is this in one of their user guides or something? why dont they tell us this crap lol
    12-18-08 04:05 PM
    my favorite thing to do.. is use my storm with my s9 bluetooth headphones... I can change tracks, change volume, pause, etc. All without being tethered. I can put this baby in my pocket and listen away or have it sit across the room. I love A2DP bluetooth... nothin better
    12-18-08 04:26 PM
    A2DP is the best....thanks for the tip on getting the rewind and fast forward menu to appear. Was wondering why once in a while the menu showed up and then I couldn't get it to come up....was ocassionally touching the track title!!
    12-18-08 06:34 PM
    I like the player for the most part, but did have some questions:

1. Is there a way to get it to play music with one click? From what I have found, you have to click on the player icon, then on Playlist, then on the specific Playlist. Then it plays. What I was hoping for is to be able to set an option to get it to automatically play the one single playlist I have when I click on the player icon.

2. Is there a way to switch the playlist between being organized by artist to being organized by song? I am guessing I might need to create two playlists?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the sample song?

Thanks in advance.
    01-21-09 04:50 PM
    i just use windows media player to put music on my storm. it puts album art on and everything. i have too much music and it just crashes itunes and the media manager kinda sucks too.
    01-21-09 06:06 PM
    If you hit the BB button on the home screen you can go to "Now Playing..." and that will take you to whats playing.

You can organize by artist, album, or song. Theres is also shuffle play, and then playlists that you make. The Storm is all I use for a mp3 player, I also used my previous Pearl but only had 1 gb of space. I love that the phone has bluetooth and so does the deck in my truck, so I just keep the phone in my pocket and it auto connects within 3 ft, and I can use the controls on my deck to change the songs. When I get out it auto disconnects and I don't have to do a thing.

And yes you can go into the folders and delete the songs. I just plug my BB into my computer and it pops up that the memory card is there so I just add new music out of my music folder on my computer, and take out what i don't want there. Such as the sample songs.

I like the player for the most part, but did have some questions:

1. Is there a way to get it to play music with one click? From what I have found, you have to click on the player icon, then on Playlist, then on the specific Playlist. Then it plays. What I was hoping for is to be able to set an option to get it to automatically play the one single playlist I have when I click on the player icon.

2. Is there a way to switch the playlist between being organized by artist to being organized by song? I am guessing I might need to create two playlists?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the sample song?

Thanks in advance.
    01-21-09 06:22 PM
    If you hit the BB button on the home screen you can go to "Now Playing..." and that will take you to whats playing.

Thanks. I meant sort of a on-touch start feature where you assign the music player to one of the buttons on the side, and when you pressed that not only did it go to the player but also started playing.

Is there an option that lets you choose to have it start playing when you fire it up? I didn't see any on the menu.

And yes you can go into the folders and delete the songs. I just plug my BB into my computer and it pops up that the memory card is there so I just add new music out of my music folder on my computer, and take out what i don't want there. Such as the sample songs.
    The sample song is not on the memory card. It looks like it is on internal memory, and that does not appear to be accessible from FileMangler on the PC.

I tried using Media Manager that was included with the phone, and that does not show any songs in the "music" folder.

So I can't find a way to delete the sample song. My guess is it is part of the music player software and would take some digging into the phone software itself (i.e.- not just the media files). Not worth the effort, especially since the sample song does not show up in the playlist anyway.
    02-02-09 02:20 PM

I knew about changing tracks with the volume button, what I need to know is how to control the volume when playing music.

I often play music from my Storm as it sits on my desk (no cradle, just a naked storm) and when I want to lower the volume on a song I can't figure out how to do it without pressing pause/stop. Does anyone know how to raise or lower volume while a song is playing? Remember, I don't use headphones, just the storm itself.

Thanks .... Tifosi
    02-02-09 04:02 PM
    I knew about changing tracks with the volume button, what I need to know is how to control the volume when playing music.

I often play music from my Storm as it sits on my desk (no cradle, just a naked storm) and when I want to lower the volume on a song I can't figure out how to do it without pressing pause/stop. Does anyone know how to raise or lower volume while a song is playing? Remember, I don't use headphones, just the storm itself.

Thanks .... Tifosi
    To increase the volume press the volume up button (side of phone). To lower press the volume down. It's the same as changing the tracks without holding the button down.
    02-02-09 04:28 PM
    To increase the volume press the volume up button (side of phone). To lower press the volume down. It's the same as changing the tracks without holding the button down.
    Thanks. I get it now! Hold down the volume button to change tracks and just tap the volume button for volume.

Tifosi
    02-02-09 09:26 PM
    am i the only one that uses my storm as an external hard drive when transferring files. I dont have the patience for the media manager to load, so i have mass media mode enabled, when i plug in my storm to my pc, the drive comes up, from there i just copy and paste the files i want, especially since im addicted to house md, i just drag the whole season into there and it transfers 6-7 gigs in a min or two, i think it is the quickest method.
    02-03-09 09:30 AM
    Thanks for the tip I've been struggling with this for about 10mins! I love Crackberry!
    02-07-09 08:13 AM
    am i the only one that uses my storm as an external hard drive when transferring files. I dont have the patience for the media manager to load, so i have mass media mode enabled, when i plug in my storm to my pc, the drive comes up, from there i just copy and paste the files i want, especially since im addicted to house md, i just drag the whole season into there and it transfers 6-7 gigs in a min or two, i think it is the quickest method.
    I do the same thing, also did it with my Pearl. Desktop manager always crashed when I tried to go through. Use mass media mode and all you have to do is copy and paste into the music fold and it's there.
    02-07-09 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD