Will there be 3rd party applications that enable the pinch to zoom feature on the Storm? Is the storms hardware capable of such a feature, and why would they not implement such a great feature? If we lived in an ideal world we would have a phone as great as the Iphone on Verizon!
    11-09-08 05:03 PM
    Hmm, very subjective. My ideal world is the Storm on Verizon...Oh wait!
    11-09-08 05:04 PM
    Apple has patented that pinch to zoom stuff. Do a quick search for the manual and you will see it uses a double tap. Also the iPhone is not as great as you would think and the storm is gearing up to be so much better.....
    11-09-08 05:06 PM
    yeah the pinching is overated. The double tap zoom should function ok. Plus, would pinching really work since you have to physically press the screen. I guessing with the double tap you physically have to press the screen down twice.
    11-09-08 05:09 PM
    Maybe for you personally the pinch feature is not great but for the 10 million Iphone users it's absolutely amazing! It is my favorite feature of the Iphone! Well the web browsing is, this is the most important for me. I hate AT&T with a passion so I had to resort carrying an Iphone and a very underachieving Lg Dare for voice! The funny thing is I read many reviews that have the Iphone an Dare at a pretty much equal! That's why you can never trust what you read! It is getting tiresome carrying 2 phones, 1 for internet and the Verizon for voice.

Edit: Also the dare has the double tap feature for zooming. Anyone who says this i scomparable to the pinch to zoom feature is flatly lying or has just never used the great pinch to zoom feature.
    Last edited by Faker; 11-09-08 at 05:25 PM.
    11-09-08 05:23 PM
    Basically my question is what is the probability for this feature to be implemented? They have already made fake Iphone UI for the blackberry why cant they do this? I am desperately looking for an excuse to get rid of the iphone and AT&T
    11-09-08 05:28 PM
    Basically my question is what is the probability for this feature to be implemented? They have already made fake Iphone UI for the blackberry why cant they do this? I am desperately looking for an excuse to get rid of the iphone and AT&T
    apple has a patent on pinch to zoom in/out. it won't happen on rim's native browser, but that doesn't mean they will come out with something equivalent.

don't forget 3rd party browsers like opera and (joy) firefox mobile which is due soon.

11-09-08 05:30 PM
    That is/was a theme. That has nothing to do with the way the device functions. The Storm in and of itself is enough reason to switch from the Iphone. IMHO, it's a much better overall device. I believe sales will prove my opinion.
    11-09-08 05:30 PM
    Maybe for you personally the pinch feature is not great but for the 10 million Iphone users it's absolutely amazing! It is my favorite feature of the Iphone! Well the web browsing is, this is the most important for me. I hate AT&T with a passion so I had to resort carrying an Iphone and a very underachieving Lg Dare for voice! The funny thing is I read many reviews that have the Iphone an Dare at a pretty much equal! That's why you can never trust what you read! It is getting tiresome carrying 2 phones, 1 for internet and the Verizon for voice.

Edit: Also the dare has the double tap feature for zooming. Anyone who says this i scomparable to the pinch to zoom feature is flatly lying or has just never used the great pinch to zoom feature.
    Wow.... you really are obsessed with this whole pinching thing. Who really cares along as you can easily get the job done. A double tap (while not as cool) is just as easy as the pinch. If you're really this concerned about not having this feature, the storm is probably not for you.
    11-09-08 05:32 PM
    Anybody getting the feeling this faker character is a BGR groupie?
    11-09-08 05:33 PM
    Personally, I prefer the double tap to zoom over the pinching method.
    11-09-08 05:34 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will have to wait and use the storm before I can decide. I want a browsing experience that will be similar to the iphone. I feel the double tap doesnt give you as much control and precision as the pinch to zoom feature.

I already looked at operah and they have the double tap feature. Hopefully they implement it and hopefully the storms hardware is capable of executing it. I dont know enough about the blackberry community, but is there any programming buffs that sit around and make software to make such a feature work? For instance if someone figures out how to install safari on the storm will this feature work?
    11-09-08 05:48 PM
    That is/was a theme. That has nothing to do with the way the device functions. The Storm in and of itself is enough reason to switch from the Iphone. IMHO, it's a much better overall device. I believe sales will prove my opinion.
    So this phone will sell more than the iphone, ok.
    11-09-08 05:52 PM
    i wanna see someone "pinch to zoom" one handed??? any youtube links...faker?? pinch to zoom = worthless, unorthodox and unoptimized
    Last edited by biclocal; 11-09-08 at 06:14 PM.
    11-09-08 05:56 PM
    I want the storm as much as everybody here, but if you think its going to outsell the iPhone, you are out of your mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 06:00 PM
    I want the storm as much as everybody here, but if you think its going to outsell the iPhone, you are out of your mind.

Think about what you just said, now think about how many corporations supply there workers with Blackberrys.
    11-09-08 06:01 PM
    Not much precision? it zooms to the location where you double tap...that's more precise than pinching....
    11-09-08 06:02 PM
    Think about what you just said, now think about how many corporations supply there workers with Blackberrys.
    The newest iPhone sold over 10 million units in 2008. I don't care how many units companys buy (in this awful economy), it won't be more than that.

11-09-08 06:17 PM
    Pinch-to-zoom is a cool feature. I can't argue the merits of it vs. double-tap to zoom unless I have both in hand.

Still, I have to wonder why a company that creates a feature as cool as that, thinks cut-and-paste has no value.
    11-09-08 06:22 PM
    Maybe I am lucky since i have never used a pinch zoom device before so I have nothing to compare the double tap to. I have seen many people trying unsuccessfully to use that pinch feature before... Reminds me of a kid playing with gum

From a convenience \ usability stand point I would think the double tap is a better solution.

Like many features that both devices share I think the BB implementation is more thought out. Iphone seems to be ... look at this, wow that is cool... but after you get through the novelty of the pretty features it is a pain to use.

Again I have never used an Iphone. I am only going off other people who have relayed their experience to me.
    11-09-08 06:37 PM

Please show me where I said it will out sell the Iphone? Or any device for that matter. Don't put words in my mouth.
    11-09-08 06:51 PM

think about what YOU just said, apple recently just moved ahead of RIM in the smartphone sales department, RIM has several models that are sold worldwide. Apple has one generic device that is sold worldwide. You do the math

Apple, just a year and a half into the smartphone business, now has a higher marketshare than Canadian giant Research in Motion, and is second place only to Nokia. Apple's 17.3% share is just barely beating out RIM's 15.2%, and of course is nowhere near Nokia's 38.9%, but it's just one more sign of how important the iPhone really is.
    I am in love with the storm, i think its a great phone, but by no means will the storm sell more phones then apple's iphone.
    Last edited by NFLBlitze1; 11-09-08 at 07:03 PM.
    11-09-08 07:00 PM
    pinch to zoom would be a nice option IMO, but i like the double tap b/c i want to have the ease and accuracy of using a phone with one hand. although u can pinch with one hand, it's not has easy/quick as double tapping where u want IMHO
    11-09-08 07:04 PM
    Cx or someone else posted a link a while back that went to an article about the company that made the click technology and it mentioned one of the gestures was pinch to zoom. For some reason, RIM didn't include this in the OS. I guess RIM thought double tapping was better. I wonder if RIM will allow third party apps to use pinch to zoom but i believe it does work if programmed. Correct me if i'm wrong Cx.
    11-09-08 07:09 PM
    The phone would be totally capable of doing it, the screen allows you to use multi touch, it was left out for some reason. Personally I find that feature neat on the iPhone, it is well executed. I dont think Apple came up with the idea first if you watch the youtube video of the microsoft surface it used the same idea. The phone would have been cool if it included it but I think it needed to be seperated from the iPhone not a copycat.
    11-09-08 07:24 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD