Upon receipt of many calls, PM's, emails and posts, we have compiled a set of Tech Tips for the Application of the PhantomSkinz Full Body Kit to the Blackberry Storm, along with much requested pictures.

I am going to post in 6 sections so please wait until I get the final post up on the thread before you comment. I would appreciate that.

After the final post, please feel free to comment openly or directly to me. We hope this help alleviate some of the concerns voiced about doing your own installations. It really is not that difficult and with patience, your own installation can look like ours. BTW, we posted final photos on another thread so we will not be repeating those, unless you cannot find them.

Guru
    12-04-08 05:00 PM
    For this particular phone, we like to start with the piece that covers the bottom and sides.

1) Center the bottom piece so that both sides will go on without stretching.
    2) Squeegee the bottom and then focus on one side of the phone (Do not worry about where the piece wraps over the chrome yet) working your way up the side of the phone.
    3) Once one side is completely stuck and looks good, go to the other side, re-wet that part of the film, and repeat your procedure.
    4) Wait for the pieces of the pattern that actually cover the chrome "S pieces" to completely dry.
    12-04-08 05:09 PM
    We call the pieces of our pattern that are shaped like an "S", "S pieces". Not so original in the description but it is obvious what we are referring to.

1) Use your finger in a rolling motion to push the air out between the film and the chrome.
    2) Each "S piece" must be stretched slightly so that they **** up to the piece in our previous section that covers the chrome.
    3) Remember that these pieces are better installed after they are dry.
    12-04-08 05:14 PM
    1) Align this piece so that the piece is centered and the cutout for the camera lens is centered.
    2) Squeegee out the bubbles.
    3) Wait for the pieces that cover the chrome to dry.
    Use the technique outlined in the post above to install the pieces on the chrome.
    12-04-08 05:24 PM
    Next we suggest that you cover the battery door. Our normal application techniques and directions apply.

1) Wet the adhesive side of the film.
    2) Align the the piece on the door so that it is centered.
    3) Squeegee out the bubbles.
    12-04-08 05:28 PM
    Next we install the Top and Bottom pieces that cover the front of the phone. Again no special tips or tricks are needed here. Wet the film and align the film's cut-outs to match the phone. Squeegee the bubbles out.
    12-04-08 05:31 PM
    OK everyone. This is definitely not as scary as people have posted. It just takes a few minutes and a little common sense. Just do not spray the phone.

1) Spray the adhesive side of the film.
    2) Align the film to the screen.
    3) Use a small squeegee stroke to "tack" one end of the film to the screen.
    4) Use your "lint free cloth" that we recommend in our instructions to absorb any water solution from the area just squeegeed.
    5) Use your squeegee in the opposite direction to completely remove any bubbles between the screen and the film.
    6) Again use your "lint free cloth" to absorb any water solution.
    7) Repeat until the Screen coverage is adhered and there are no visible air bubbles.

Special Note: It is perfectly normal to see a "haze" or shadow" between the film and your screen. This will disappear within 24 hours.
    12-04-08 05:40 PM
    No pictures here. Just wet each piece on the adhesive side of the film. Set the piece in place so that it is on squarely and does not have an edge hanging off the button. Push it down with your thumb. Let it sit overnight until dry.
    12-04-08 05:42 PM
    I wanted to give a special thanks to "the1sen" for taking all of these photos during the installation of PhantomSkinz on his phone.

Remember, if you mess up installing a piece of PhantomSkinz, remove it as quickly as possible, re-wet it, and install it again. PhantomSkinz can be removed and re-applied within 5 minutes of the original application without damage.

Keep your fingers wet and have some patience!

Guru
    12-04-08 05:51 PM
    Thank you for this, my order is in the mail from you and my Storm will be here tomorrow. Its always nice to have pics to associate with
    12-04-08 05:58 PM
    Great post guru. I'll be sure to subscribe to this thread, and then come back to it when I get my PS and Storm. Thanks Guru!
    12-04-08 11:59 PM
    Thanks great post!
    12-05-08 01:25 AM
    Excellent post. Thanks for everything. You too, the1sen!!
    12-05-08 02:24 AM
    What Is That Yellow Device You're Using in the first group of pics? What's it so? And, is there something similar that we can use to accomplish the same thing?

Finally, you mention "spary" the skin... The instructions that come with it (recv'd mine today) talk about submersing in water...

Submerse or spray or both?
    12-05-08 03:04 PM
    Yep, same deal here, mine came today and the instructions say to completely submerse the whole thing and be sure to keep your hands real wet.
    12-05-08 04:14 PM
    Hey Guru, i would like to know how i could get a hold of a squeegee, like the yellow one you guys were using in the first set of pics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 05:24 PM
    Wish I had this a few nights ago. I wasted one of the skinz for the storm. I will attempt with my second skin next week.
    12-05-08 05:27 PM
    Hey Guru, i would like to know how i could get a hold of a squeegee, like the yellow one you guys were using in the first set of pics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tumaz,

We use that squeegee for designing, etc. as we kept wearing out our Application card. It only comes in large pieces and we cut them down. FYI, we are releasing a "Pro Installer Kit" in the first quarter that will have a different squeegee in it, one that is made from rubber and will last longer. Hopefully we can get this done and released in January.

guru
    12-06-08 03:20 PM
    What Is That Yellow Device You're Using in the first group of pics? What's it so? And, is there something similar that we can use to accomplish the same thing?

Finally, you mention "spary" the skin... The instructions that come with it (recv'd mine today) talk about submersing in water...

Submerse or spray or both?
    Cat,

Please see the response to Tumaz about the squeegee. I know that automotive parts supply stores like AutoZone, Checkers, etc. have squeegees available for window tinting that will work as well.

As far as your second question, you can do either. Some people have used a competitors kit for previous installs and have a sprayer. Or you can use a cheap "trigger sprayer" that you can purchase anywhere. Just add a drop of soap to the water. We use sprayers at our office as we constantly use it while doing applications and designing patterns. They help prevent a mess when we knock them over.

guru
    12-06-08 03:26 PM
    So can I order just a cover for the screen? What will it come with?
    12-06-08 05:42 PM
    I just applied the screen kit to my phone. Messed up the first one and I think I got the second one on okay. I have a few tiny bubbles or a wrinkle? near the bottom that I tried and tried but couldn't get rid of. Hopefully it doesn't start pealing off or messing up the touch sensitivity. It's at the bottom on the black part of the screen so I don't think it will affect anything.
    12-06-08 09:04 PM
    Excellent tutorial and pics. Thank you, this is going to make my installation soooo much easier.
    12-07-08 01:01 AM
    So can I order just a cover for the screen? What will it come with?
    long,

You can order Screen Only protection from us. You will receive 2 patterns in the kit.

guru
    12-07-08 11:57 AM
    I ordered my skin yesterday and this thread is clutch...
    12-07-08 12:00 PM
    Man this is one tough job to do. I put a couple pieces on today, but patience became thin and I had to stop. The joys of having a replacement phone. Phantom, any chance you could install this for me hahaha...

But seriously
    12-17-08 08:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD