For those that have the Storm, how has your experience been viewing PDF documents? I currently have the Curve and the capabilities on that are awful. From everything I have experienced with the Curve when you zoom down on a PDF doc it locks into that area so you cannot scroll through the page to find what you are looking for.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
    11-27-08 09:53 AM
    Haven't tried it out yet. It comes with docs to go word, excel, and ppt but not PDF

However, the storm will open up PDF's in its own form and it looks really nice, I can attach photos if you would like

You swipe your thumb to switch pages, you zoom in by double tapping and then you CAN scroll around even when zoomed. Overall its very nice
    Last edited by imann101; 11-27-08 at 09:59 AM.
    11-27-08 09:54 AM
    REPLIGO - spend the money. It might be a lot to view PDF but it's the only way... and at least they did a great job on the app.
    11-27-08 09:59 AM
    REPLIGO - spend the money. It might be a lot to view PDF but it's the only way... and at least they did a great job on the app.
    Yes I tried this application when it was on beta testing. It's a great application. Only thing is that I don't view enough pdf files to pay for this.
    11-27-08 10:02 AM
    why pay money to view it if you can already view it on the phone though?
    11-27-08 10:03 AM
    why pay money to view it if you can already view it on the phone though?
    Because the Storm/Curve opens them up as a picture. So once you start zooming in it starts to get blurry. It use to be bad with the curve. But with the Storm, it's not as bad, probably cause of the screen size and resolution. So I guess if you really need to read some fine prints or if you deal with a lot of pdf's, you can't go wrong with repligo.
    11-27-08 10:15 AM
    whenever it zooms in on my storm i adjusts the focus of it as well so its clear. I guess with the curve when it opened it up you were zooming in on a resized image, but on the storm I think its the original size so you can zoom in without it getting pixalated.
    11-27-08 10:21 AM
    I just tried it with a pdf I sent myself on the Storm. It does adjust the focus until certain zooming. Than it starts to get a little blurry. Try zooming in a lot and see. Then download a trial for repligo and you'll see the difference. Also repligo has a "read view" which puts everything almost like a word file, easier to read instead of scrolling left and right.
    11-27-08 10:23 AM
    Yea I see what you mean, but thats when you zoom in a lot a lot. But I don't really get many pdf files so its fine for me. For a business person who uses it a lot I guess I could understand another program being used
    11-27-08 10:27 AM
    I had repligo beta for about two months which was great. But just like you, I don't really use pdf files enough to pay for an application.
    11-27-08 11:09 AM
    If the Strom manages to attract some of the geek crowd, I'm sure someone will write an open source PDF viewer for blackberry. There are already some PDF support libraries for Java on SourceForge. I might take a crack at it myself once I have time.
    11-27-08 11:39 AM
    For those that have the Storm, how has your experience been viewing PDF documents? I currently have the Curve and the capabilities on that are awful. From everything I have experienced with the Curve when you zoom down on a PDF doc it locks into that area so you cannot scroll through the page to find what you are looking for.

Thanks.
    Storm .PDF viewer is EXCELLENT! Much better than the viewer on my 4.5OS 8120
    11-27-08 11:50 AM
    How do you guys clear / focus on the PDF once you zoom in? For me it just starts looking distorted after a few zooms. Granted you can zoom so far that you can make things out, but then you lose the sight of the entire page. So far I do not like the viewer.
    11-27-08 11:54 AM
    Unless the storm has a special native pdf viewer, it zooms in. For most pdfs they will look like garbage. What the poster should have asked for is a FREE pdf viewer. The blackberry has always been a pita in this department.
    11-27-08 11:56 AM
    I use the pdf viewer all the time. When I had my curve I would view them in full page view. The storm zooms in but then auto focuses to clear up the puff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 12:28 PM
    How do you guys clear / focus on the PDF once you zoom in? For me it just starts looking distorted after a few zooms. Granted you can zoom so far that you can make things out, but then you lose the sight of the entire page. So far I do not like the viewer.

Mine auto sharpens after i zoom in. Works VERY nice. Zoom and pan are way faster than my 8120
    11-27-08 01:01 PM
    What are you using? If you're downloading an attachment and using the Blackberry viewer, the resolution is horrible. Zooming in is like making a bad graphic larger.
    11-27-08 01:29 PM
    What are you using? If you're downloading an attachment and using the Blackberry viewer, the resolution is horrible. Zooming in is like making a bad graphic larger.
    Just clicking view attachment. Then zoom and it will auto sharpen it takes a few seconds to go from "crap" to "clear" but it happens automatically and pretty fast. The .PDF viewer improvement is a HUGE upgrade from my previous BBs.
    11-27-08 01:49 PM
    if the image is already small, yes it will look terrible. But if you are sending a pdf that is in a normal size you can zoom in quite far without it getting distorted.
    11-27-08 01:57 PM
    Beamreader doesn't work for the storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 02:16 PM
    if the image is already small, yes it will look terrible. But if you are sending a pdf that is in a normal size you can zoom in quite far without it getting distorted.
    Unless the Storm has a completely different viewer and system, any PDF will look like crapola. All the PDFs I've ever sent do, especially if they have graphs. Spreadsheets and word processing docs are converted and read, not PDFs. They look like garbage when zooming in. This is why I download native documents and view them in Repligo or Docs to Go.
    11-27-08 04:20 PM
    No alterations made, opened .pdf attachment from email, zoom auto re-focused, sweep to the left went to page 2, worked great. Couldn't be happier.
    11-27-08 07:01 PM
    No alterations made, opened .pdf attachment from email, zoom auto re-focused, sweep to the left went to page 2, worked great. Couldn't be happier.
    I agree, me either.
    11-27-08 07:09 PM

Thanks.
    I can surf, download, and view a pdf. I can attach a pdf to an email
    and then send, open and view. Both work very well. I CANNOT figure out
    how to use either VISTA BUSINESS/sp1 or XP/sp3 with the Desktop Manager
    to transfer from PC to BB, but I'm stubborn. (My Vista Business Desktop
    Manager is still not working on all cylinders.)
    12-02-08 05:42 PM
    Is there any way to associate pdf content/filetypes within the browser to the image viewing application that the Storm uses for rendering email attached pdfs? It would seem like a fairly trivial task.
    12-06-08 11:54 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD