Good news is I finally got it done! This was my second attempt at this...the first time failed because I couldn't figure out how to transfer the small parts from the original bezel to the new bezel. This time I just painted the original bezel with all the parts attached. It took a lot of time and patience to figure out how to cover up the parts I didn't want painted while being able to get paint to the parts I wanted painted, but once that was done the sanding and painting (Krylon Fusion) went pretty quickly. I put 5 coats on and I think it looks pretty good.

While I was at it I also painted part of the cradle I bought recently off Amazon. It's one of those that charges a spare battery at the same time. There are two major pieces to it and I didn't want it all red, so I just painted the part that actually holds the phone. It turned out pretty good too, but I only put two coats on the backside and three coats front side on the cradle. It's easy to do again if I need to.

Now the bad news. I either broke something or forgot to connect something because the lock button doesn't work anymore. I think I just forgot to connect a wire, but I might have broken a ribbon cable under the top trim piece. I have a spare parts Storm, but I can't figure out how to separate the intricate parts up top so I can transfer them. Hopefully I just need to plug something back in though.

Anyway, aside from the little lock button issue, I think I would call it a success at this point. Here are a couple pics. In one pic it looks like there's a bubble or something on the bezel, but the camera picks up imperfections I can't see with my eyes. Oh yeah, I was getting strange looks again while I was tearing my phone apart!
    03-15-09 11:18 PM
    Nice Job it Looks great. Only thing what happens if you should need a warranty exchange?
    03-15-09 11:21 PM
    you can buy new bezzels i think
    03-15-09 11:23 PM
    Nice Job it Looks great. Only thing what happens if you should need a warranty exchange?
    Thanks! I figured I'm four months in and it hasn't had any problems that I haven't caused, but if need be I guess I can use insurance and just say it fell in some red paint...lol!

Or I'll just put the bezel in that I have off my junk Storm and send it in that way.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 03-15-09 at 11:26 PM. Reason: edit
    03-15-09 11:24 PM
    Looks nice, but I think the paint is going to rub off quickly and then its gonna look nasty and you'll have to redo the whole thing... just my 2cents
    03-15-09 11:39 PM
    Great job man it looks good.

Sorry if I missed your first attempt, did you by any chance post a How-To? Id love to try this myself seeing that if I mess up and brick my phone somehow itll give me even more reason to buy the Pre when it comes out. lol.
    03-15-09 11:42 PM
    Great job man it looks good.

Sorry if I missed your first attempt, did you by any chance post a How-To? Id love to try this myself seeing that if I mess up and brick my phone somehow itll give me even more reason to buy the Pre when it comes out. lol.
    No, I haven't. Maybe tomorrow I will take more time and put it in this thread. It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

And yeah, I took it apart again and found a wire unplugged. Unfortunately it was an antenna wire, so my lock and unlock doesn't work. Don't think the mute does either. Oops!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 03-16-09 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    03-16-09 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD