I'm liking this phone, but have a few questions still

1) How can I delete many texts at once, like "delete all sent messages", or "delete all text messages before xxxx date"? (1 at a time takes forever!)

2) What does "Content protection" do in the config/security/general settings?
    2b) What does "Content compression" do?

3) Is the $29 dataplan that they sold me with this phone really unlimited? I dont want a surprise bill at the end of the month

4) Can I set the browser to open in a larger font automatically, so that I dont have to open a web page, then click on "+" 2 or 3 times for it to be readable?

Thanks!
    12-24-08 10:50 AM
    1.) tap the date bar in the messages list hit menu + delete prior messages.

2.) I have no idea, I never mess with this.

3.) Yes. You won't get a surprise bill.

4.) I don't think so.
    12-24-08 10:55 AM
    1. Highlight the date in the inbox or sent box and hit the blackberry button. Then hit "Delete Prior". To delete more than one that are not all under just one date, tap on one with your finger, then use another finger and tap another. All of the ones in between should highlight.

2. Dont know.

3. It is unlimited to 5GB. Don't worry, I have never heard of anyone going over.

4. You can set the browser fonts in Browser>Options>General Properties.

Merry Christmas!
    1. place one finger where you want to start, and a second finger where you want to stop, this will multi-select. Then you can click delete. The other option is go to the menu and click delete prior.

3. Yes, up to 5 gigs I believe.

4. Open browser, click menu, options, general properties, default font.
    Highlight the date, hit menu, and select "Delete Prior". I've never used the Content Protection/Compression so I can't speak for that.

The $29 plan is unlimited so no worries. I believe if you tether it and use it as a modem, theres a 5 GB limit so be careful with that.

No you can't adjust the zoom prior to opening a webpage, but instead of clicking the zoom in key, if you press the webpage without clicking a link, it will automatically zoom in.
    12-24-08 10:56 AM
    1. Click on the actual date and u can click"delete prior"

3. I believe there is a 5gb cap

I havent checked for answers for question 2 and 4.
    12-24-08 10:56 AM
    1. Click on the actual date and u can click"delete prior"

3. I believe there is a 5gb cap

I havent checked for answers for question 2 and 4.
    No. There is no cap. Unlimited data through vzw is just that - unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 11:48 AM
    Unlimted doesn't quite mean unlimited when it comes to Verizon actually, but the only way to really go over is if you're connecting your Storm to your computer to use as a connection and are downloading movies, games, or anything else that's huge. If you're just using the data on your device alone, you will be fine.
    12-24-08 11:52 AM
    Unlimted doesn't quite mean unlimited when it comes to Verizon actually, but the only way to really go over is if you're connecting your Storm to your computer to use as a connection and are downloading movies, games, or anything else that's huge. If you're just using the data on your device alone, you will be fine.
    This refers to tethering. You are correct.

12-24-08 11:58 AM
    By "just using data on your device alone", do you mean avoiding internet browsing? I just noticed that if I go to YouTube I get a warning that I should consider an Unlimited Plan. Now Im getting a little nervous!!!! VW told me when I bought this phone that I do have an unlimited dataplan, but they also offer a $44/month plan, so I am not so sure. And from this thread it sounds like there isnt real agreement on what the $29 plan actually includes.
    12-24-08 12:00 PM
    I have hit the 5 gig cap by downloading attachments via email onto my blackberry.
    12-24-08 12:01 PM
    There is no 5gb if a vzw rep told you its unlimited its unlimited if you get a surprising bill call tell them thy told you it wad gonna b unlimited that they never metion 5gb and they will credit that off your bill trust me I went tru this twise and they always end up takin it off my bill but I had to call a coupl of times and tell them they told me it was UNLIMITED SO DNT WORRY

12-24-08 12:02 PM
    Forgot to mention I have the 29,99 plan

12-24-08 12:04 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/pow...mazing-100705/

Read this post for more info on content protection.
    12-24-08 12:05 PM
    Also forgot only the 24,99 plan only gives you 5gb to 10gb the rest of the plans are unlimited
    Peolpe don't yall read yals plans

12-24-08 12:07 PM
    If they're telling you it's a 5GB plan, there's a reason they're telling you that.
    12-24-08 12:30 PM
    ok, this is not what I wanted to hear. 1st of all they never told me that I have a 5GB limit, even though it may exist in the fine print. 2nd - I dont know how hard it will be to hit the 5GB limit, but a few big downloads, some video streaming, and Im sure it could happen.

I guess I was right to ask this question. Ill probably find out the hard way at the end of the month.

This is very disappointing. Ill use the internet only when necessary from now on.

Is there an easy way to check, to see how many GB's Ive used so far?

Thanks...... I guess
    12-24-08 12:35 PM
    Give them a call from your phone and confirm it so you don't drive yourself nuts.

These are your only 2 plans

Blackberry� Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month (if you will do tethering to a computer)

Email and Web for BlackBerry� $29.99/month (what most of us have)

No where on their site did i see a cap on the data but call so you'll feel better

************From their site
    Additional Plan Information
    Required Equipment
    NationalAccess or BroadbandAccess�capable device

Required Minimum Term, Activation Fees, and Early Termination Fee

* One-year or two-year minimum term required per line
    * Activation Fee: $35 per line
    * Activation fees may vary or be waived for business customers that have a Major Account Agreement with Verizon Wireless.
    * Early Termination Fee: Up to $175 per line
    * In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.
    * In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.
    * In the Bermuda, China, Dominican Republic, India and Israel Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.02 per KB or $20.48 per MB. You must add I-Dial to your account to roam in many destinations. To add I-Dial to your account, and for more information on Wireless Data Roaming in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, China, Dominican Republic, India and Israel, call (800) 922-0204 or . Only the Canadian Broadband Rate and Coverage area supports EVDO.

Taxes, Surcharges, and Fees

* 1-year or 2-year contract term required.
    * Tolls, taxes, surcharges, and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of November 1, 2008, add between 5% and 36% to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.
    * Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 11.4% on interstate and international telecom charges.
    * Monthly Regulatory Charge (subject to change) is up to 2� per line.
    * Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 6� per line.
    * The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory, and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call (888) 684-1888.

Important Customer Information
    For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Plans not available in all areas. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end�user address must be within the Verizon Wireless licensed and service areas where the wireless phone number is issued.

NationalAccess / BroadbandAccess
    Subject to VZAccessSM Acceptable Use Policy.To make sure you have coverage in newly expanding markets, from the VZAccess Manager, go into "Options" and click "Activation," while in the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area every three months. This may alter your Rate and Coverage Area. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service.

NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess is for individual use only and is not for resale. Charges for Quick 2 Net� or dial�up calls will be based on the cell sites used and time of day at the telephone switching office that carries your call, which may be different from the time of day shown on your device. Rates do not apply to credit card or operator�assisted Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls, which may be required in certain areas. Usage rounded up to the next full minute. Charges start when you first press CONNECT or the call connects to a network on Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls. Time may end several seconds after you press DISCONNECT or the call otherwise disconnects. For Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls, we only bill for those calls that are answered (which includes Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls answered by machines). Quick 2 Net or dial�up calls to "toll�free" numbers are toll�free; you will be billed airtime.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; (iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company); (iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. You may not use our Data Plans and Features for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others� intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users� service, interferes with the network�s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users, or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections, or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable �bots� or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (iii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (iii) �auto-responders,� �cancel-bots,� or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or e-mail use by others; (iv) generating �spam� or unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such e-mail); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless� services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware, or �denial of service� attacks; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless� or another entity�s network or systems; or (vii) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer�s connection would otherwise be idle, or �keep alive� functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless� requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time. By way of example only, you may not use a Data Plan or Feature for web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices.

You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Account online, or by contacting Customer Service.

Approximate Data Usage Examples: Basic information and examples showing the approximate data usage for several common Internet activities appear below.

The speed of the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobits (kb) per second. However, the amount of data transmitted over the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB).
    Bit A unit of information that respresent a single character.
    Byte A unit of information composed of 8 bits.
    Kilobyte 1024 bytes (measuring the number of kilobytes tells you the size of a file and/or the amount of data you have used).
    Megabyte 1024 Kilobytes (measuring the number of megabytes tells you the size of a file and/or the amount of data you have used).
    Gigabyte 1024 Megabytes (measuring the number of gigabytes tells you the amount of data you have used).

Examples

Application

Approximate Size
    E-mail (1 text page without attachments)
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to send and/or receive approximately 1,747,627 e-mails in a month to reach 5 GB) 3 KB
    Word Document (5 text pages)
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to download approximately 74,897 Word Documents in a month to reach 5 GB) 70 KB
    Typical Web Page lookup
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to look up approximately 34,952 web pages in a month (or over one thousand per day) to reach 5 GB) 150 KB
    Low Resolution Digital Photo
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to download approximately 10,485 low resolution digital photos in a month to reach 5 GB) 500 KB
    PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics) (Based on this assumption, you would need to download approximately 1,707 PowerPoint presentations in a month to reach 5 GB) 3 MB
    V CAST Music Over-the-Air Download (3-minute song)
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to download approximately 2,560 songs in a month to reach 5 GB) 2 MB
    V CAST Music PC Download (3-minute song)
    (Based on this assumption, you would need to download approximately 1,280 songs in a month (or over 40 per day) to reach 5 GB) 4 MB
    Note: The above examples are just estimates, based on approximate size assumptions. Actual file sizes and user experiences will vary.

The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale.
    We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

We may monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law.

Connecticut Customers: If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at: 1�800�922�0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we cannot resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC): Online: Phone: (866) 381�2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.

Last Updated: 10/14/2008
    12-24-08 12:52 PM
    Thanks, good idea. I just called and was told that the $29 plan IS unlimited. I dont know where so many people are getting the 5GB cap limit, but I was just told not to worry, and to browse all I want, and that there was NO cap. (maybe VW used to have a 5GB cap, and thats what many of these posts are refferring to). Lets hope my customer rep knew what she was talking about!!!!
    12-24-08 12:58 PM
    Listen, I have heard of the 5gb cap too. All that will happen is that they will send you a friendly letter telling you you're using a lot of data and if you keep using lots of data, they'll slow your connection down a bit.

I've had that happen with my unlimited plan for my laptop wireless card before
    12-24-08 01:24 PM
    Listen, I have heard of the 5gb cap too. All that will happen is that they will send you a friendly letter telling you you're using a lot of data and if you keep using lots of data, they'll slow your connection down a bit.

I've had that happen with my unlimited plan for my laptop wireless card before
    As many others have said there is a 5GB with Tethering Only. It does not happen on just the phone. Surf away. it is hard to get to 5GB just using the phone. I have streamed video and radio and not come close.
    12-24-08 01:53 PM
    ok, this is not what I wanted to hear. 1st of all they never told me that I have a 5GB limit, even though it may exist in the fine print. 2nd - I dont know how hard it will be to hit the 5GB limit, but a few big downloads, some video streaming, and Im sure it could happen.

I guess I was right to ask this question. Ill probably find out the hard way at the end of the month.

This is very disappointing. Ill use the internet only when necessary from now on.

Is there an easy way to check, to see how many GB's Ive used so far?

Thanks...... I guess
    You won't hit 5gb, probably won't even break 750mb.
    12-24-08 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD