First of all, I've had the Storm since launch. I'm satisfied with it, but not wowed.

Also, I've had a few Windows Mobile devices in the past and haven't had any issues with the OS. I love the software available for Windows Mobile and think it far surpasses what's available for the Storm.

Here are some things you should know...I don't use this for work. I use yahoo and gmail. I'm assuming they both do push email, so that shouldn't be any different. Also, I use the phone for 1) internet/text 2) phone 3) media player 4) email...in that order.

I'm hoping someone who's familiar with the Omnia can help me out. I've used it in the Verizon store, but they put that stupid security thing that stays in the middle of the screen. It makes the phone unusable. So stupid for a touch screen.

My main issues with the storm:
    - Browser speed. It takes minutes to load certain pages. I love the scrolling, but the speed is unbearable. I've tried Opera, but it's not made for the Storm just yet, so I didn't care for it.
    - Calls. This should be #1 for a phone, but I text and use the internet more than I talk on the phone. I hate that I can't use this phone pressed against my ear without accidentally hitting buttons. Also, I call into a lot of conference calls where I need dial extensions and also to quickly switch between speaker/handset and mute/unmute. I find this to be extremely annoying and not intuitive.
    - Media player. It's as basic as you can get. Fast forwarding and rewinding songs is terrible. I use this as my primary media player (walking, in-car, etc) and it's blah.
    - No reliable XM player. I've used this on WinMo devices and really enjoyed it.
    - No slingbox player. Again...I've done on windows and it's not there on BB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to wait until my 30 days and up and be stuck with this device for another year. What should I do?
    12-08-08 11:07 PM
    if those are your complaints about the storm, double it with the omnia. The touch screen is horrible. its very unresponsive and with the lag between applications it could cause some annoying issues. Overall i dont recommend any samsung touch screen devices. browser speed on the omnia is nothing better then the storm. I work in a corporate store and as new as this phone is we get a lot of them back. More then we get from most phones. I would recommend looking at the htc touch pro maybe. but as a tech that works with this phone on a daily basis i highly recommend staying away from this phone. since its your only exchange i would really do your research and to be as honest as i can i would pick any other phone but this one.
    the cons to this phone outway the pros by far. 1. horrible touch screen. 2. lag when switching applications and menu's. 3. media player is nothing outstanding. 4. battery life is poor
    Last edited by bong_water; 12-08-08 at 11:18 PM.
    12-08-08 11:16 PM

My main issues with the storm:
    - Browser speed. It takes minutes to load certain pages. I love the scrolling, but the speed is unbearable. I've tried Opera, but it's not made for the Storm just yet, so I didn't care for it.

You can see from my sig, I have had a lot of winmo phones. PIE is horrible for browsing. You would go with a thirdparty browser - but add the cost onto the phone.

- Calls. This should be #1 for a phone, but I text and use the internet more than I talk on the phone. I hate that I can't use this phone pressed against my ear without accidentally hitting buttons. Also, I call into a lot of conference calls where I need dial extensions and also to quickly switch between speaker/handset and mute/unmute. I find this to be extremely annoying and not intuitive.
    I think you will have to hit a button to lock the phone on the Samsung in order not to hit buttons. This of course inhibits your ability to do the above tasks. On the Storm, you can hit the notes button to not worry about hitting buttons with the face - but your left with the same issue. Honestly, only two phones handle this gracefully while still giving you easy access to functions. If this is big - I would go with a non touch screen. I don't see either being much different.

- Media player. It's as basic as you can get. Fast forwarding and rewinding songs is terrible. I use this as my primary media player (walking, in-car, etc) and it's blah.
    You honestly think Windows media player is better?
    - No reliable XM player. I've used this on WinMo devices and really enjoyed it.
    your right
    - No slingbox player. Again...I've done on windows and it's not there on BB.
    Yeah sling has it it beta - waiting too

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to wait until my 30 days and up and be stuck with this device for another year. What should I do?

My thoughts above. If you have had winmo non touch screens in the past - I think you will be underwhelmed. I like winmo on a smartphone but their OS is not suted for a touchscreen at all. You will have many of the same issues with dialing and some new ones.
    12-08-08 11:19 PM
    yeah I have the HTC touch - good phone - I am just gonna wait until windows introduces a new OS for touchscreens. To each his/her own . . but if you have not used the wm on a touch screen - it will frustrate.

hope this helps.
    12-08-08 11:21 PM
    its not even the fact that its a windows OS. Samsung makes horrible touch screen phones lately. There i series pdas were good but ever since they started using the touchscreens they use on the glye, they have been horrible. ive never seen so many new phones returned so fast. Im telling you, stay away from this phone. you only have one exchange within your 30 days. after that your stuck. take a look at the HTC Touch Pro
    12-08-08 11:24 PM
    I did have the Samsung i760 and really enjoyed it. It wasn't a full touch screen and had a full keyboard and dial-pad. The touchscreen was slightly annoying now that I remember.

Hmm...

It seems like everyone favors the Storm (or other device) over Omnia.

The only thing I'm certain of is I'll make the wrong decision.
    12-08-08 11:26 PM
    The omnia is very tempting indeed! I have seen some great customizations for it that make me really want to get my hands on one and make it exactly how I want it!

I wish the BlackBerry took better pictures! if it could at least snap quicker, I'd be satisfied, but that issue really pushes me towards the omnia, since I don't own a digital camera, and would really like to have my mobile double as that.

But honestly I'm leaning towards the storm now as well. From what I've read the Omnia's GPS is locked down by Verizon, and I don't know if anyone will find a hack to unlock it. As you put it it's your primary music device, I hope you have a good bluetooth headset! I'd hate to carry the dongle around all the time just to plug in.

Quick question: I had an LG Dare before my storm, exchanged within 30 days. Does this mean that I can't exchange my storm for the omnia when it comes out? 1 exchange then I'm stuck for the contract?
    12-08-08 11:37 PM
    if you had a dare and exchanged it for a storm then no you cant exchange that for an omnia. You are only aloud 1 exchange within 30 days. Thats part of your contract that you signed when you got the phone. Only way you can get the omnia now is to purchase it at full retail price. Even if they make an exception and let you exchange it again, you will end up being charged a 35.00 restocking fee. Most likely they wont let you exchange it though

The omnia is very tempting indeed! I have seen some great customizations for it that make me really want to get my hands on one and make it exactly how I want it!

I wish the BlackBerry took better pictures! if it could at least snap quicker, I'd be satisfied, but that issue really pushes me towards the omnia, since I don't own a digital camera, and would really like to have my mobile double as that.

But honestly I'm leaning towards the storm now as well. From what I've read the Omnia's GPS is locked down by Verizon, and I don't know if anyone will find a hack to unlock it. As you put it it's your primary music device, I hope you have a good bluetooth headset! I'd hate to carry the dongle around all the time just to plug in.

Quick question: I had an LG Dare before my storm, exchanged within 30 days. Does this mean that I can't exchange my storm for the omnia when it comes out? 1 exchange then I'm stuck for the contract?
    12-09-08 12:08 AM
    Like I said before if I have a touch screen then I shouldn't need a mouse. They have a mouse on the Omnia because a lot of the OS isn't clickable with your finger. So you have to use a stylus (which can't be placed inside like on a palm) or you have to use the mouse. What's the point of that? It could just be me but I like using my fingers, it's faster. As for the camera it's just a software issue that will be fixed.
    12-09-08 12:12 AM
    speaking of stylus... the omnia comes with a stylus but it comes with a tether that attaches to that little piece where you would put those charms or a strap to. We have had a few customers come in with cracked screens because the tether would swing around and the stylus would hit the screen. Not the best design if you ask me.
    12-09-08 12:18 AM
    Thanks for the clarification! I'm loving my storm more every day and doubt that I'd want to exchange it anyways! BB's OS is still improving, whereas Winmo 6.1 has been around for a while... not much more improvements they can make... just try to hide mistakes
    12-09-08 12:19 AM
    Windows mobile not for me.
    12-09-08 12:19 AM
    speaking of stylus... the omnia comes with a stylus but it comes with a tether that attaches to that little piece where you would put those charms or a strap to. We have had a few customers come in with cracked screens because the tether would swing around and the stylus would hit the screen. Not the best design if you ask me.
    Yeah if you provide a stylus at least integrate it into the phone. I would be okay with this design if it was the first touch screen. But after years and years of touchscreen phones you would think they would have thought about this.
    12-09-08 12:20 AM
    First. Ok well i have only used a WINmo phone a couple of times and, each time, it was so boring i just put it down.

Second. Samsung must believe that you need a touchscreen, stylus, and a mouse to use their phone, or else they would not have included them. All that to use a phone?

I am not a believer in the idea that 3 sub par input methods are better than one simple and innovative input device a.k.a(Storm touch screen)?
    12-09-08 01:58 AM
    dousent the samsung have an internal collapsable stylus?

also, Windows media player sucks but TCPMP is amazing, the storm has nothing like that.

PIE sucks but windows has Skyfire, an amazing full flash browser, storm does not.

i am sticking with storm but wish it had better softrware.
    12-09-08 04:32 AM
    Does the Omnia support push email for a POP account?

I was told in the VZW store that only Blackberries support push for POP accounts (sadly, I lack IMAP access)
    12-09-08 05:06 AM
    I have the Touch Pro right now, but am waiting for my Storm to get here. I like the Touch Pro, but I still love my BB. WinMo is slow, buggy, and just not that great. You will be sad to give up your Storm just to go to another phone that has the same issues with no intention of providing updates anytime soon. At least RIM is constantly sending out updated OS's and the phone will continue to improve.
    12-09-08 05:50 AM
    its not even the fact that its a windows OS. Samsung makes horrible touch screen phones lately. There i series pdas were good but ever since they started using the touchscreens they use on the glye, they have been horrible. ive never seen so many new phones returned so fast. Im telling you, stay away from this phone. you only have one exchange within your 30 days. after that your stuck. take a look at the HTC Touch Pro
    I spent 4 days with the Omnia....It was the most stable WinMo phone I have had! It NEVER froze up, or really lagged at all! Everything was very finger friendlly! And the optical mouse works well in the actual windows menu's I liked the Omnia A LOT better then the touch pro! The touch pro was just SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!! All said and done......I kept my Storm, and sent the omnia back! I wouldn't trade the storm for either! If I HAD to...I'd pick the Omnia!
    12-09-08 07:14 AM
    ive messed with the omnia, the screen sucks and is super hard to navigate on. all the issues with the storm youve mentioned are much improved with leaked firmware (i use .85, i prefer it over 86 and havent wanted to try 90 due to the bugs on it) for those things you described you needed the storm is definately the way to go. as far as the screen pressing buttons while talking, download talklock. its free and works great. other than that theres nothing much more to complain about other than the camera on the storm being practically worthless, and the one on the omnia is actually very nice. other than that thats all the omnia has for an advantage IMO
    01-26-09 02:15 PM
    storm will surpass every phone with better software available
    01-26-09 02:20 PM
    i had the lg dare and upgraded to the omnia but to find out that my dare was actually better . the omnia is set up way to difficult and is slow. i traded it in for the storm and love it. storm is an overall better device in everyway possible dont trade in your storm for the omnia not worth it in anyway .
    01-26-09 02:53 PM
    The Omnia has that dangling stylus. Yuck!
    01-26-09 03:01 PM
    The thing I would think about is how the phone handles data. MMS, email push/pull and web data require an active data connection. If you leave that on constantly, ur battery will be drained in a few hours ... Also the #777 prompt wiL drive you mad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 03:19 PM
    I use yahoo and gmail. I'm assuming they both do push email, so that shouldn't be any different.
    Do they both push?
    01-26-09 03:36 PM
    yeah I have the HTC touch - good phone - I am just gonna wait until windows introduces a new OS for touchscreens. To each his/her own . . but if you have not used the wm on a touch screen - it will frustrate.

hope this helps.
    Thats the key, the os needs to be more suited for life without a syuls. Once the OS gets an overhaul i think the omnia or similiar winmo phones will become more friendly touch devices.
    01-26-09 03:40 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD