Bought the Storm, and even after the leaked update, have been extremely frustrated with certain issues regarding the phone. Mainly the difficulty of using the keyboard, the crappy camera performance and the fact that I cannot seem to answer a call correctly because it doesn't register the Answer button right away. I upgrade every 2 years, and I want the best phone I can get when it happens. So I went in to test drive the phone BGR seemed to think was so great.

Spent 15 minutes trying to navigate the Omnia. Yes it has WiFi, the keyboard is brilliant and the camera is great, but sweet mercy Windows Mobile is a pain in the neck, and no amount of masking can hide it. There is no comparison. My slightly gimpy Storm is heads and tails a better device than the Omnia.

The Storm is just going to get better, and I appreciate it a lot more now that I've attempted to handle the Omnia.
    12-03-08 01:05 PM
    If you think the camera is crappy on the Storm(I do not) you should try the XV6800. That camera blows in a very bad way. I happen to like the Storm camera Auto focus and the flash is great. As for WinMo I used it from Feb 08 until last Wednesday when I got my Storm. I like the Storm much better. Still trying to get use to Blackberry software structure. At this point I don't think I could go back to a WinMo phone. It will be Blackberry's here on out.
    12-03-08 02:03 PM
    I was also looking at the Omnia to buy and was going to wait to compare to the Storm. Once I saw the Storm though I just couldn't wait. Just as well cause you couldn't give me the Omnia. Sometime, when you are in a Verizon store compare the Storm screen with the Omnia. Omnia screen looks like my old Kyocera 7135 next to the Storm. One happy Storm camper I am.
    12-03-08 02:29 PM
    Bought the Storm, and even after the leaked update, have been extremely frustrated with certain issues regarding the phone. Mainly the difficulty of using the keyboard, the crappy camera performance and the fact that I cannot seem to answer a call correctly because it doesn't register the Answer button right away. I upgrade every 2 years, and I want the best phone I can get when it happens. So I went in to test drive the phone BGR seemed to think was so great.

Spent 15 minutes trying to navigate the Omnia. Yes it has WiFi, the keyboard is brilliant and the camera is great, but sweet mercy Windows Mobile is a pain in the neck, and no amount of masking can hide it. There is no comparison. My slightly gimpy Storm is heads and tails a better device than the Omnia.

The Storm is just going to get better, and I appreciate it a lot more now that I've attempted to handle the Omnia.
    Oh wow...Are you serious?

I just got back from the Verizon store from picking up my Omnia and returning the storm. I'm NOT here to bash the Storm. It's a great phone. But you can't be serious about bashing the Omnia. I honestly haven't put it down since taking it out the box at almost 2 hours ago. The sales person and I were near fighting with each other on trying to play with all the features of the phone.

I purchased the Black Berry Pearl the day in came out back in 2006, so a big issue for me was getting a phone that had the suretype keyboard layout. Of which the Omnia has, and much, much, much more.

So, please don't hate on the Omnia.
    12-03-08 05:42 PM
    I was also looking at the Omnia to buy and was going to wait to compare to the Storm. Once I saw the Storm though I just couldn't wait. Just as well cause you couldn't give me the Omnia. Sometime, when you are in a Verizon store compare the Storm screen with the Omnia. Omnia screen looks like my old Kyocera 7135 next to the Storm. One happy Storm camper I am.
    hahahahaha! you did not just drop a kyocera comparison! that that priceless!
    12-03-08 05:51 PM
    Oh wow...Are you serious?

I just got back from the Verizon store from picking up my Omnia and returning the storm. I'm NOT here to bash the Storm. It's a great phone. But you can't be serious about bashing the Omnia. I honestly haven't put it down since taking it out the box at almost 2 hours ago. The sales person and I were near fighting with each other on trying to play with all the features of the phone.

I purchased the Black Berry Pearl the day in came out back in 2006, so a big issue for me was getting a phone that had the suretype keyboard layout. Of which the Omnia has, and much, much, much more.

So, please don't hate on the Omnia.
    I also express the same thoughts as the OP. I spent an hour with the Omnia after getting my Storm (I was torn on which to keep/buy).

My mind was made up within 20 minutes. WinMo is just plain bad. The phone is pretty, but that's it.
    12-03-08 05:51 PM
    I got to play with the Omnia and the HTC Touch Pro today while at my local VZW store and I just hafta say that IMO neither of them could even come close to comparing to my Storm. Id get an Omnia over the Touch Pro though...honestly, the Touch Pro felt like it was made of cheap plastic, and the Omnia just didnt do it for me as far as looks and functionability. Im sure some people will love the Omnia over the Storm, but Im a BB user for life so I guess different strokes for different folks. Good luck to those with the Omnia out there, Im sure you will love it in the long run.
    12-03-08 05:59 PM
    Ahhh, the Kyocera 7135... I loved that phone!!!! Those were the good 'ol days hahahha.

Back on topic though, I actually like winmo but after using a blackberry device, I found that having email pushed to me instantaneously is just too damn nice. The Storm has the perfect mix of functionality and multimedia features for me.
    Last edited by misdeismo; 12-03-08 at 06:04 PM.
    12-03-08 06:01 PM
    If you think the camera is crappy on the Storm(I do not) you should try the XV6800. That camera blows in a very bad way. I happen to like the Storm camera Auto focus and the flash is great. As for WinMo I used it from Feb 08 until last Wednesday when I got my Storm. I like the Storm much better. Still trying to get use to Blackberry software structure. At this point I don't think I could go back to a WinMo phone. It will be Blackberry's here on out.
    I'm stuck on the Blackberry bandwagon to and actually becoming a hardcore BB at the same time since I bought the Storm. My wife can't stand touch screens, she hates that they even smudge a little bit. So she wants a Curve, and once her NE2 is up hopefully the Curve 89xx will be on Verizon.
    12-03-08 06:05 PM
    How did u get the Omnia? I called 3 Verizon stores and they all tell me they have them in stock but will not sell them till the 8th.
    12-03-08 06:22 PM
    At my Verizon store in Carrollton GA. Go figure. And ya, the Kyocera 7135 was a great phone for its time. Ah, the good ol' days!
    12-03-08 09:10 PM
    At my Verizon store in Carrollton GA. Go figure. And ya, the Kyocera 7135 was a great phone for its time. Ah, the good ol' days!
    Omnia's back to $249.99 instore. It can still be gotten for $199.99 online.
    12-03-08 09:26 PM
    You think the lag is bad on our accelerometer? Wait til you use the Omnia. It takes a second and does the whole spinning animated action to change from landscape to portrait or vice versa.
    12-03-08 09:35 PM
    The XV6800 aka the HTC Touch has the best touch screen in the VZW lineup hands down. Touchflo is head and shoulders above the RIM push screen on the 9530. The Windows mobile interface is definitley outdated and mundane. The Omnia is a nice handset with great hardware, but WM 6.1 doesn't play out with me anymore.
    12-03-08 09:45 PM
    You think the lag is bad on our accelerometer? Wait til you use the Omnia. It takes a second and does the whole spinning animated action to change from landscape to portrait or vice versa.
    I've played with both, and the Omnia accelerometer was far and away faster. I expect that to change with further updates from RIM.
    12-04-08 07:58 PM
    I went into my local VZW, and they said they had the Omnia in, but didn't have the display out, but did offer to sell me one if I was willing to pay the $35 restocking fee on the Storm.

@WDrake I think the Omnia is a great phone, but the Storm menu system is much more functional. The Omnia accelerometer was painfully slow. Storm screen looks much better and bigger to me. But the biggest thing is WinMo drove me crazy. I think Samsung has a winner though. I really wanted to test it out and love it so I could stop thinking I am missing something with the Storm. But like I said, I preferred the Storm experience.

@BigDawg The Storm camera just takes too long to actually snap the picture. Other than that, it's fantastic. The Omnia was practically instantaneous, has AF and actually has face detection. But if RIM can get the Storm Camera to just take a picture when you push the button, I'd be more than satisfied.
    12-04-08 09:25 PM
    Biggest problem the Omnia has and will never rid itself of is the fact it is a Windows Mobile device.

Prior to switching to Blackberry phones about 2 years ago, I had a Window Mobile phone. Phone was complicated, difficult to do anything as simple as making a phone call, and most difficult of all, it was Windows! In other words these devices don't play very friendly with third party software. Most often resulting in me needing to reset the phone minimum 5 times a day.

The Omnia is no better. These are supposed to be smart phones, but all they do is complicate things.

I guess the 5.0 MP camera is supposed to make up for having a phone that's impossible to function.
    12-04-08 10:05 PM
    I saw vids of the Omnia in action; a sweet phone no doubt. But comparing the pics ( to me the screen seems wider on the Storm ) which both being a
    touch screen is a plus. The litte extra width. Also it appears that u have to use a stylus and it has no slot for it. Hey the Omnia looks to be pretty cool;
    but I decided to go with the Storm and I am lovin it. Plus the storm has higher res and that is the kicker for me. Njoy yor Omnia...........
    12-04-08 10:33 PM
    No one one said anything about the lack of Memory that the Omnia has compared to the Storm or HTC Touch Pro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 10:51 PM
    @Dolphinguy - According to VZW Site, Memory (Storm) 128MB Flash Memory, 192MB RAM (Omnia) 256MB Flash/128MB RAM .

@TrendyProfessional1 -The screen size for both are 3.2. The storm is wider, while the Omnia is longer. However, the acutal screen size is the same. BlackBerry Storm VS iPhone 3G: Will RIM's First Touch Screen BlackBerry be an iPhone Killer? - iPhone Hacks and Samsung Omnia | Reviews, Hacks, Tips & Tricks

@djjd311 - Only "windows" as a phone issue I personally have with the Omnia is the scrolling. Doesn't seem like the phone was designed for that.

@Jsnr75 - Yea the Omnia's menu is like that of Windows. Although I was able to use the phone out of the box, took me a few days to get used to how to use the menu. The acceleormeter is much more flexiable then the Storm. You have the ability to turn it on or off, as well as how it transitions between rotations (of which you can also turn off).
    Last edited by WDrake_98; 12-07-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fixed urls
    12-07-08 03:53 PM
    The XV6800 aka the HTC Touch has the best touch screen in the VZW lineup hands down. Touchflo is head and shoulders above the RIM push screen on the 9530. The Windows mobile interface is definitley outdated and mundane. The Omnia is a nice handset with great hardware, but WM 6.1 doesn't play out with me anymore.
    Sorry, but th XV6800 is not an HTC Touch.
    12-07-08 04:43 PM
    No one one said anything about the lack of Memory that the Omnia has compared to the Storm or HTC Touch Pro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Probably because for WinMo it doesn't matter. You can install apps to a memory card on WinMo. Something a Blackberry can't do yet.
    12-07-08 04:46 PM
    Sorry, but th XV6800 is not an HTC Touch.
    Correct, the HTC Touch is the XV6900 and the Touch Pro is the XV6950.
    12-07-08 04:47 PM
    My wife recieved her Omnia on Monday and I gotta say I am not impressed. Wimo interface needs to be updated it looks like a 15 year old OS. You have to use a stylus for a lot of things because the icons are so small.

On the plus side the accelerometer is extremely quick and responsive and I like the way the it looks when you open up a contact and it gives you four large buttons (if I remember correctly) Call Mobile, Call Home, Send Email, and Send SMS, something like that.

In know way would "I" consider it a replacement for my Storm.
    12-10-08 09:04 AM
    Ditto here bud; although I compared a dummy Omnia to my Storm no comparison. Storm screen is a tad wider. Yeah fargh it call me a fan boy k!
    12-10-08 09:29 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD