Omg! How can I stop this dam 9530 from leaking memory soooo bad. I installed the quickpull for the 5.0 and I start every morning with 21 mb and by 5PM its down to 0mb it just drives me crazy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 11:42 PM
    what apps you have installed? are you running a theme? more details please...
    12-14-09 11:44 PM
    Wipe it and reinstall the OS but back up ur contacts first. Also helps to not reinstall the languages or slide show apps or any of the other apps that come on the phone that u don't use. Or call ur service provider n complain about it n if its under warranty they will send you a replacement.

12-15-09 12:08 AM
    There is absolutely no need to wipe the OS at this point.
    The device is most likely not defective so there is no need to go through the hastle of getting a refurb.
    The most common reasons for memory leaks is a faulty app, leaving too many apps open, or a badly coded theme.
    Close apps properly by using the menu key and selecting close or exit. Using the end key does not close most third party apps but instead leaves them running in the background.
    Don't leave your browser open when you aren't using it.
    Try running a stock theme if you are currently using one from a third party.
    You may have to delete all of the third party apps that you have installed and reinstall them one by one untill you find the leaker.

12-15-09 12:29 AM
    Yes I do run a theme and my apps are as follow... bedroid theme, capture it, CB launcher, htc pure theme, empower central, I love my BB, Pandora, pattern lock, score mobile, threded iphone SMS, wells Fargo launcher, you tube, navigator, Facebook, google talk, docs to go, bbm, BB maps, BB app world, BB app center... Dam I guess I do have a lot of stuff huh. But I use all of them. Except BB maps, docs to go, BB app center, and maybe I can use youtube.com instead of the app... Is this what it is do I have to earse my favorite apps.

12-15-09 12:34 AM
    If you have Weatherbug installed, get rid of it. That's the biggest memory drain right there.

EDIT: nevermind
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 12-15-09 at 12:42 AM.
    12-15-09 12:37 AM
    You don't necessarily have to get rid of them all. You just need to find out what is leaking. It could be a theme or an app. Try what I suggested above and you should be able to find it.

12-15-09 12:41 AM
    Personally, by the way, I would start with themes since that will be the easiest to do. Just run a stock theme for a day and see if that helps. If you are closing out of your apps properly I think your theme is the likely culprit.

12-15-09 12:47 AM
    App world is a leaker, ditch that one. If you do wipe and reload, use BBSAK. I just did my first wipe and reload and it went flawlessly. Took less than 30 minutes start to finish and my Storm runs much better.
    12-15-09 08:57 AM
    It is your theme. PERIOD. END OF STORY.
    12-15-09 12:02 PM
    app world is a leaker, ditch that one. If you do wipe and reload, use bbsak. I just did my first wipe and reload and it went flawlessly. Took less than 30 minutes start to finish and my storm runs much better.

exactly!!!!!!

12-15-09 12:24 PM
    Yes some of the apps pointed here are known memory hogs. Also it seems RIM has some of it's own memory leaks.

I've recently shrank my OS, I never did it prior to 328, there was no need. But 328 seems to be a memory hog.

Now it seems to run great, I'm at 31MB right now last night I was at 12MB, with no reboot. It seems RIM OS does eventually kick in it's grabage collection but there is a big swing in between. I'd recommend you shrink your OS and remove some of the non essential apps.

=X=
    12-15-09 01:20 PM
    Yes some of the apps pointed here are known memory hogs. Also it seems RIM has some of it's own memory leaks.

I've recently shrank my OS, I never did it prior to 328, there was no need. But 328 seems to be a memory hog.

Now it seems to run great, I'm at 31MB right now last night I was at 12MB, with no reboot. It seems RIM OS does eventually kick in it's grabage collection but there is a big swing in between. I'd recommend you shrink your OS and remove some of the non essential apps.

=X=
    Interesting, when I went from 4.7.0.148 to 328 I gained about 5MB. After installing the few apps I use, and removing junk like WordMole, Brickbreaker, Help, App Center, VZ Nav and VZ VVM, I boot up with 40 and rarely drop below 38 unless I do heavy web browsing, then it'll dip to 35.
    12-15-09 01:30 PM
    I have deleted all unused apps and themes. Currently I have:

BN eReader
    Google Voice
    Facebook
    VZ Navigator

and the remainder of the pre-loaded apps except for password keeper which I deleted.

I am have done battery pulls and reboots and can't get my memory over 20mb. My question is what should be the baseline after a reboot? I don't have any other apps running and have moved all media files to the card.

I see that most of you are running more apps than what I have installed so I'm hoping there is something more that I can do to increase the app memory available.

Thanks in advance.
    12-15-09 03:44 PM
    I don't know what I had proir to 148. I did not pay attention. I started having memory leak problems with 148, I would start around 25MB. Then end the day around 5MB, by morning I would have to reboot. When I upgraded to 151 all those issues where solved and I stayrd between 15-25MB.

What I did notice however is from 151 to 328 I lost about 10MB. And started at 15MB and dropped to 0MB within the day.

I still lose 15MB but now I have enough memory to function before garbage collection kicks in.

Btw I'm at 19MB now and all that is changed is a few web sites I surfed.
    Last edited by _X_; 12-15-09 at 03:58 PM.
    12-15-09 03:56 PM
    Your theme is problaby the biggest problem with the leak, some of the apps are problaby doing it to.
    12-15-09 03:56 PM
    The only theme I have remaining is the default.

Is the memory carrier agnostic? Does it affect Verizon different than other carriers?
    12-15-09 04:10 PM
    delete your browser history and your texts and emails periodically and you will see your memory shoot up... end your bbm convos once in a while too it helps.
    12-15-09 06:32 PM
    to the op how many apps do you have running in the background. Open app switcher and will show how many you have it is running.
    12-15-09 06:57 PM

BN eReader
    Google Voice
    Facebook
    VZ Navigator

and the remainder of the pre-loaded apps except for password keeper which I deleted.

I am have done battery pulls and reboots and can't get my memory over 20mb. My question is what should be the baseline after a reboot? I don't have any other apps running and have moved all media files to the card.

I see that most of you are running more apps than what I have installed so I'm hoping there is something more that I can do to increase the app memory available.

Thanks in advance.
    20MB is more than sufficient for the S1 to run smoothly. As was wisely advised above, run the stock Precision Zen theme (options->theme) for a day (do a batt pull after to switch to it to give yourself a baseline), and see where you stand.
    12-15-09 07:13 PM
    Everyone is high jacking the ops thead.
    To pk. A freshly loaded and shrunken OS would probably be great for the op. But I think they should start by first finding the memory leak. Wouldn't do much good to do all that work to the OS and then reload the same leaky theme/app.
    To the op. Just switch to the stock theme and see if that fixes the leak.

12-15-09 08:15 PM
    To pk. A freshly loaded and shrunken OS would probably be great for the op. But I think they should start by first finding the memory leak. Wouldn't do much good to do all that work to the OS and then reload the same leaky theme/app.

It is the theme. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Themes leak so ridiculously that it is not even funny, even the good ones.
    12-15-09 11:19 PM

BN eReader
    Google Voice
    Facebook

VZ Navigator

Thanks in advance.

I've seen links in the apps I've highlighted in red.
    12-16-09 04:56 AM

If this was directed at me, I didn't hijack anything. The OP has BB App World installed, which is known to leak. I advised the OP to remove it.
    12-16-09 07:51 AM
    I've seen links in the apps I've highlighted in red.
    If this was directed at me, I didn't hijack anything. The OP has BB App World installed, which is known to leak. I advised the OP to remove it.

Yes while these apps do leak memory, NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING leaks memory like the themes do.
    12-16-09 10:10 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD