I've been checking out the forum for a week now and am nervous about my Storm. Specifically, I am wondering how "perfect" should the Storm be in order to keep it? Mine has exhibited several buggy behaviors with no permanent major ones. Once, I got a spontaneous "file application error" in black text against a white screen. Upon reset, a black banner popped up saying "media card inserted" and locked the unit up until I removed the card, reset(bp) and then reinserted the card. The other weird behavior involved a battery that wouldn't hold a charge (got it replaced at a Verizon store) and the screen seems to change orientation at its own whim. Also, when a call comes in, sometimes clicking Answer doesn't answer the call, but just makes the screen change orientation. Bottom line: are the things I've just described bugs that I should tolerate for now and expect fixes in future OS updates, or should I pull the plug and request an exchange?
    01-04-09 09:26 PM
    The storm is awesome! Its got its bugs but I think its worth it!
    OS updates over time will address all these bugs so hold tight.

You can always get a replacement if you dont like yours. What os are you running anyway?
    01-04-09 09:28 PM
    Yeah i experienced all those "bugs" and decided I wanted to try the leaked .85 and really all those issues went away. Sure there are a few more issues but I think it shows that they are working through the bugs and the phone will act like you expect after a few more OS releases. If you can't wait you can always try the leaked .85 OS version. I really love it and would never go back. All those bugs you described drove me buggy LOL
    01-04-09 09:31 PM
    If you like it now..It will only get better. I wouldnt update unofficially without doing your homework first. Make sure you are comfortable on what you are doing and enjoy!
    01-04-09 09:32 PM
    I think all those things have happened to me. It is VERY annoying. I've had 4 other Blackberry devices and none have ever given problems.

I do believe that RIM rushed the storm and bold out and did not take the time to make it right for release and figured it would work all the kinks out later.

I'm pretty sure within the next two updates %96 of errors will be fixed. these errors you mentioned are all software and not hardware related. i am sticking with mine because RIM has a great history of devices so i'm looking forward to updates. RIM will make it right just give them a little bit of time.
    01-04-09 10:16 PM
    I am running .85 by the way, with all the glitches I described.
    01-05-09 02:30 PM
    If the hardware is fine I wouldn't exchange it. OS updates will fix the software.
    01-05-09 02:34 PM
    the screen seems to change orientation at its own whim.
    I cannot address the other issues, but I can say with absolute certainty, that no, the phone does not actually have a life of its own and thus is unable to change orientation "at its own whim". The phone changes orientation when you tilt it in such a way that the accelerometer kicks in. This could happen when you place the phone on a table or hold it sideways in your hand.

Also, it is a little strange that you are complaining about so-named "bugs" when you are running a leaked, unofficial version of the operating system that is not currently ready to be released to the public. Perhaps some of your issues will be solved by downgrading to an official, supported version.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-05-09 at 02:39 PM.
    01-05-09 02:36 PM
    85 is buggin' on my phone as well but my phone is flawless as far as build quality so it would be insane to exchange and risk a flawed build. A new piece of hardware won't fix your ills anyway.
    01-05-09 02:40 PM
    Well, forgive me, OS policeman, sir! To quote Kevin: "My opinion? This is what the Storm should have launched with. Definitely worth an install if you're a 9530 Storm owner." Strange, eh?
    01-05-09 08:32 PM
    I am not "complaining". I am simply trying to dtermine if the bugs I have warrant an exchange or not. At least I'm fact-finding before just exchanging it.
    01-05-09 08:34 PM
    I don't think it's fair to the phone to load an unreleased OS and then complain about bugs.
    01-05-09 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD