Hey all... I hope this thread is in the right place, I'm sorry if it's not. But having been the happy owner of an 8830, I am thinking about taking the leap and getting the Storm. While I love playing with my Blackberry and have downloaded themes & some apps, I don't see myself being comfortable enough to venture into the world of leaked OS updates. I would probably wait for official updates.

My question is, with all these beta OS leaks out there and lots of debate about how they improve or diminish certain functions, is now a good time to buy a Storm, considering how the OS on an out-of-the-box Storm currently is? Or should I wait for a less buggy Storm? Or should I have faith in upcoming official updates (which would render waiting silly).

I'm also trying to keep in mind that I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep it or go back to the 8830. So I'd hate to wait for an official update, only to come to the realization after the 30 days has gone by that the Storm has too many issues. Thanks in advance for the responses... I hope my question made some sense.
    03-11-09 03:54 PM
    It really comes down to is it for work or personal use. Personal use most ofthe bugs are out and it works great. Work there are still some issues that need to be addressed in some apps otherwise its great. I love mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 04:13 PM
    I've had mine about 45 days, and would categorize myself as the same type of user. I'll wait for official updates.
    It's not without some issues, but overall I've been happy with my Storm. For me the hardest thing to figure out is how to go back and edit an email I'm typing. It's very hard to get the cursor back where you need it. About 3/4 of the time I end up just erasing a big section and retyping.
    03-11-09 04:15 PM
    If it is a matter of waiting for the update I would say wait till end of march official os is supposed to drop this month. But if you prefer physical keyboard I would wait until the niagra comes out I had a storm for 20 days wasn't a fan returned it for a 8330 curve and love it I love having a physical keyboard. And will be buying the 9630 when it is released

03-11-09 04:20 PM
    I would definitely wait until you can purchase the phone with the next OFFICIAL update already PRE-INSTALLED.
    03-11-09 04:22 PM
    The biggest issue for many previous BB owners seems to be the touch keyboard. A lot people have said that they find that they type much slower and with more mistakes. This is my first BB and my first touch screen so I don't know any better. Seems to work fine for me. Again, just something to keep in mind.

03-11-09 04:48 PM
    Thanks all... I'm leaning towards waiting until the Storm has the next official update pre-installed. But after they release the update, does anyone have an idea how long it takes for those Storms with the newest update pre-installed to hit the shelves? And will the store know when they are getting Storms that have that update on them?
    03-11-09 04:49 PM
    Apologies for the self-serving bump, but might there be a CrackBerry user that has a rough idea how long it would take a Storm with the new OS pre-installed to hit store shelves once that update is released by Verizon?
    03-11-09 09:16 PM
    Hey all... I hope this thread is in the right place, I'm sorry if it's not. But having been the happy owner of an 8830, I am thinking about taking the leap and getting the Storm. While I love playing with my Blackberry and have downloaded themes & some apps, I don't see myself being comfortable enough to venture into the world of leaked OS updates. I would probably wait for official updates.

My question is, with all these beta OS leaks out there and lots of debate about how they improve or diminish certain functions, is now a good time to buy a Storm, considering how the OS on an out-of-the-box Storm currently is? Or should I wait for a less buggy Storm? Or should I have faith in upcoming official updates (which would render waiting silly).

I'm also trying to keep in mind that I have 30 days to decide whether I want to keep it or go back to the 8830. So I'd hate to wait for an official update, only to come to the realization after the 30 days has gone by that the Storm has too many issues. Thanks in advance for the responses... I hope my question made some sense.
    Buying a converged device is no different than buying a computer. There is no such thing as "the best time" to buy it, because the next one coming out is always better. If you need one (or want one), just dive in and buy it. If you are looking for the pot of gold, you will end up chasing the rainbow.

Hope this helps.
    03-11-09 09:22 PM
    If you are patient and can deal with an imperfect Device with some issues than yes. If u can't then you should probably wait for the next official Os.

03-11-09 09:31 PM
    I ordered my in Feb. and I haven't had a problem with it at all, but as some have said you have to have patience with it and wait for the OS to leak and all.

Without patience I wouldn't recommend going to this phone just yet lol
    03-11-09 09:34 PM
    now is the time to buy
    03-11-09 09:36 PM
    Seeing that I'm a little timid of leaked OS updates, I think I'm going to wait for VZW to issue the official update, since it will be this month. Hopefully, my local store could get a Storm with that on it within a few days of the release.
    03-11-09 09:51 PM
    If it is a matter of waiting for the update I would say wait till end of march official os is supposed to drop this month.

Not trying to diss you but where are you getting the date. I've seen various folks state that the official update was going to be release in mid-January, end of February, and now the end of march. Obviously, there hasn't been official release. I'm resigned to the fact that the official update will come out whenever the **** RIM feels like it.
    03-11-09 10:05 PM
    The biggest issue for many previous BB owners seems to be the touch keyboard. A lot people have said that they find that they type much slower and with more mistakes. This is my first BB and my first touch screen so I don't know any better. Seems to work fine for me. Again, just something to keep in mind.

it was MUCH easier to type on an iphone. definitely easier to type on a sidekick and bb 8830. I dropped all my devices to come to the storm as the cool end all be all device. parts of it make me happy. parts REALLy get me mad...like how terrible the accelerometer is... typing takes some getting used to and it's all not that bad.

for BROWSING on the web...games etc...stick with the iphone...
    but the bb is supposed to be the 1 device communicaton thing.
    email control, timliness of pop reception and push items.
    total control of calendar, syncing, etc go with a BB.

i'd say definitely WAIT if you're getting the storm. it can only get better.
    and maybe they'll fix the DUST control issue too.
    03-11-09 11:26 PM
    Help The Economy! Spend Your Money!!!
    03-11-09 11:33 PM

Exactly the case with me as well. Never had a BB before, so I really have no idea how it would be to feel how the physical keyboard feel would differ. I've learn to type fairly quickly with the touchscreen, though. I surprise myself sometimes with the lack of mistakes I make on it.

Anyway, as mentioned in above posts, the new OS is supposed to be out in a couple of weeks. I might wait if I were you... though I truly haven't had many issues at all with the current OS.
    good luck!
    03-11-09 11:35 PM
    I had the Curve and just got the storm a few days ago. So far this thing is awesome. Also couldnt beat the buy one storm and get one free as long as the person is on the acount with you
    03-11-09 11:42 PM
    I had the Curve and just got the storm a few days ago. So far this thing is awesome. Also couldnt beat the buy one storm and get one free as long as the person is on the acount with you
    That really is a GREAT promotion! I just got a flier in the mail from Verizon telling me that I still can get a second BB free, even though I've had it since mid/late January.
    03-11-09 11:46 PM
    Not trying to diss you but where are you getting the date. I've seen various folks state that the official update was going to be release in mid-January, end of February, and now the end of march. Obviously, there hasn't been official release. I'm resigned to the fact that the official update will come out whenever the **** RIM feels like it.
    everything i have read and be told in the report has indicated this month because it was said to be released around same time as the new app store from vzw for the storm. and yester the new official update dropped for the 9500 so i would imagine the 9530 is very soon to come.
    03-12-09 12:38 AM
    If you need to correct something you have already typed just touch and hold the screen (anywhere inside the text box), don't click, just touch. A box should come up, while still holding your finger on the screen, you can move the box up, down, left, right to the desired place and correct the mistake. Hope this helps!

I've had mine about 45 days, and would categorize myself as the same type of user. I'll wait for official updates.
    It's not without some issues, but overall I've been happy with my Storm. For me the hardest thing to figure out is how to go back and edit an email I'm typing. It's very hard to get the cursor back where you need it. About 3/4 of the time I end up just erasing a big section and retyping.
    03-12-09 01:20 AM
    If you need to correct something you have already typed just touch and hold the screen (anywhere inside the text box), don't click, just touch. A box should come up, while still holding your finger on the screen, you can move the box up, down, left, right to the desired place and correct the mistake. Hope this helps!
    Holy crap thanks for posting this. I have been looking through the tips, but hadn't found it yet. This really makes things easier.
    03-12-09 07:49 AM

It really depends on the person and not the device itself. I switched from a device with hardware keyboard, and I find the Storm keyboard is not bad at all. I am used to the blue light and the click now and I can type relatively fast. On the other hand, I tried the iPhone at the local Apple Store and I got more mistakes on the iPhone keyboard.

As I have always been saying, things that work for some people may not work for others. Keyboard experience varies from person to person. It boils down to personal like and dislike. The difference is the person and not the device.

03-12-09 08:21 AM
    everything i have read and be told in the report has indicated this month because it was said to be released around same time as the new app store from vzw for the storm. and yester the new official update dropped for the 9500 so i would imagine the 9530 is very soon to come.
    RIM has nothing to do with when an official OS gets released. That OS release is solely VZW's call. BGR about a month ago released some "inside" info that VZW was TARGETING a release date by the end of March. many have speculated that an official OS would come out in conjunction with the release of the new App Store. Of course, now that Vodophone has released and official OS, we are all hoping that VZW will follow suit sooner rather than later.
    03-12-09 08:40 AM
    It is up to you. Many people are telling you to wait but I am telling you to make the call yourself and take the jump. I was a release date Storm owner and used it for business. HATED IT !!!!! because of service issues but LOVED the touch screen idea. Went back to a curve for a while and said the h*ll with it and came back. Updated my OS with leaked versions and spent countless hours here searching and let me tell you I am a power email user. more than 100 a day and I am constantly making notes for my business and I LOVE the device. It is your personal preference. I would take the advise that others have given you and come up with a decision. remembering that every person may be using a different OS and their phones that may react different based on how they loaded it, if they wiped it etc.. Good Luck
    03-12-09 08:49 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD