Has anyone experienced a problem with receiving calls, not just that the screen goes blank or white, but that the call never comes through. I have had multiple time where people have told me they have called, and I have no record of it whatsoever, no ring, no missed call message, no listing in the call log, etc.

And then to make things worse, a few people have obviously left messages and they randomly appear anywhere from a couple hours later, to a couple days later (I just received a voicemail on Visual Voicemail that was left on 3/19!!!!!) The time and date stapm of when they left the message seems correct but when they are actually received is anybody's guess.

Just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this at all?? This is my second phone becuase verizon replaced the original one because it was doing the same thing so I'm guessing it is not specific to that hardware unit, and before i get the umpteen messages telling me to do so...yes i have done a battery pull, so please dont suggest that option.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    03-25-09 12:55 AM
    How many bars do you have? Poor coverage would explain the non-existant calls, and even the delayed voice-mail.
    03-25-09 01:21 AM
    Official or leaked os?
    03-25-09 01:22 AM
    The coverage is hard to narrow down, but to the best of my knowledge, the calls usually come when I'm at home, and I have 4 to 5 bars there, as with VMs if they are taking a couple days to be received, don't you think I would've gone through some point of decent enough coverage during that time? I move around quite a lot and usually have great coverage. Also, I'm in the same area as when I had my curve and never had this issue, so it could be the storm, or it could be something to do with Verizon's VVM as that is new too.

As for the OS, I'm using BBcrackman's .114 hybrid right now, but the problem started on my original phone which never made it past .76, and the problem has occurred on this phone in almost all the OSs i've used, official or leaked.
    03-25-09 02:05 AM
    Did you wipe before upgrading? I use CL, and I'd give it another try to the new .113 leak.

If the problem continues, I'd talk to your provider and complain about the coverage, see if you can get a new storm from 'em, as it sounds like a hardware malfunction, somehow.

I've never, ever, had anything close to such a problem.
    03-25-09 02:34 AM
    I did not do a complete wipe before upgrading, no. I used BBcrackman's instructions on replacing the loader file and such and then loaded through the loader app, not DM. I'm not sure i know what CL is, but I'm pretty sure as this issue seems to have happened on all OS's that I've installed it isn't due to this installation being botched in some way. As for being hardware, I guess it could be but I find it pretty hard to believe that both storm's I've had are experiencing the same hardware issue that it seems no one else has experienced. I'm really not sure what to do from here. I guess I can try a reinstall of the OS but not sure that's going to get me anywhere.

I'd really rather not get another storm as I really don't want to go through the hassle of reloading all the apps I have installed, and i really don't believe that a new unit will fix the problem. And as for speaking with the verizon reps, as i'm sure is pretty apparent from several posts on here, they aren't exactly what I would call 'up to spec' with most technical issues, therefore i would probably get some BS answer just in an attempt to pacify me.
    Last edited by IrishBrit; 03-25-09 at 03:29 AM.
    03-25-09 03:26 AM
    bump

10 char
    03-25-09 05:09 AM
    I believe the Storm has an inferior antennae compared to the other BB models. I have a friend that lives in just the right location that he cannot get very good reception on any phones from any carriers. He recently switched to VZW and got a Storm. When he ordered the Storm they had none in stock so they gave him a Curve to use while he waited for the Storm to come in. He was pleasently suprised that he got pretty good coverage at his house, which he had never had before. A couple of weeks later the Storm arrived and he activated it. Immediately he noticed that the coverage was not good at all at his home. He went through a couple of OS upgrades and the problem persisted. He ended up returning the Storm and got the Curve back and hasn't had an issue since.

This is just speculation mind you, as I have no concrete evidence other than personal experience.
    03-25-09 05:18 AM
    I believe the Storm has an inferior antennae compared to the other BB models. I have a friend that lives in just the right location that he cannot get very good reception on any phones from any carriers. He recently switched to VZW and got a Storm. When he ordered the Storm they had none in stock so they gave him a Curve to use while he waited for the Storm to come in. He was pleasently suprised that he got pretty good coverage at his house, which he had never had before. A couple of weeks later the Storm arrived and he activated it. Immediately he noticed that the coverage was not good at all at his home. He went through a couple of OS upgrades and the problem persisted. He ended up returning the Storm and got the Curve back and hasn't had an issue since.

This is just speculation mind you, as I have no concrete evidence other than personal experience.
    This is probably the closest thing to a solution, thanks for the info. It makes sense as I gave my old curve to my wife when I got the storm and she never has a problem at the house, but my storm shows good reception while at home and I really can't narrow down when the missed calls are happening, or what location i'm at when they happen. It'll take a little more investigating i think, but this is probably the first step. Thanks again.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Do i just need to wait for the niagra and switch?
    03-25-09 05:28 AM
    With CL cmder, you wipe your entire phone (including all antenna and radio codes) and install the desired OS onto a completely, brand new, untouched phone. I think there is one in a million chance that when you install the new OS over the old one (or using what ever you wipe with), some of the radio codes get carried through, but I would give that one last try. Google CL cmnder, try it, install the new 113 leak (though to me, the first 113/114 hybrid is the greatest - haven't tried 113 just yet.

If that fails, I guess you'll have to wait for niagara.

Im actually getting rid of the storm - it's causing way too much drama for me. I'm only happy with it half the time , and completely hate the key board. So I'm putting my contract on craigslist and getting the bold from rogers. I will never stick to cdma again.
    Last edited by paulDIAT; 03-25-09 at 08:00 AM.
    03-25-09 07:54 AM
    So, I'm still experiencing this problem. Went to VZ today and talked to about 3 different techs (no, I didn't ask about the OS upgrade), none of them had any idea what the problem was and said that they hadn't heard of anyone else experiencing the problem. they didn't exactly seem like they really knew what they were talking about as they all said, "well a battery pull should fix all of that, do you know how to do a battery pull?" which seems like a pretty stupid question seeing as i was telling them more about the phone than they knew to begin with, but that is more for the rants forum.

Anyway, they tried to get me to replace the hardware again, I said no as they tried that before and all it did was make me reload all my software and fix all the problems that their "data switch" created (i will never let them do that again as it causes more problems than it fixes).

This issue really is becoming a big one as not only am i applying for jobs lately and missing a call like that is kind of a big problem, but my wedding is in 6 days and with all my family coming into town, missing that call is even worse.

Any more ideas from anyone?? please!!
    03-29-09 06:55 AM
    So, I'm still experiencing this problem. Went to VZ today and talked to about 3 different techs (no, I didn't ask about the OS upgrade), none of them had any idea what the problem was and said that they hadn't heard of anyone else experiencing the problem. they didn't exactly seem like they really knew what they were talking about as they all said, "well a battery pull should fix all of that, do you know how to do a battery pull?" which seems like a pretty stupid question seeing as i was telling them more about the phone than they knew to begin with, but that is more for the rants forum.

Anyway, they tried to get me to replace the hardware again, I said no as they tried that before and all it did was make me reload all my software and fix all the problems that their "data switch" created (i will never let them do that again as it causes more problems than it fixes).

This issue really is becoming a big one as not only am i applying for jobs lately and missing a call like that is kind of a big problem, but my wedding is in 6 days and with all my family coming into town, missing that call is even worse.

Any more ideas from anyone?? please!!
    The reason: VZW's VVM sucks! I have this problem all the time. Receiving VM hours later, pretty pointless since I've prob already talked to the person before I get the message. It works about 50% of the time. Whenever I decide to stop being lazy I'm dropping it for YouMail. Their app was just updated and works very well. Not to mention the service is 10x better.

Reps gave me the same battery pull garbage, it doesn't even seem like a logical solution. I imagine it's a network issue. Have fun with the wedding!
    03-29-09 07:53 AM
    The reason: VZW's VVM sucks! I have this problem all the time. Receiving VM hours later, pretty pointless since I've prob already talked to the person before I get the message. It works about 50% of the time. Whenever I decide to stop being lazy I'm dropping it for YouMail. Their app was just updated and works very well. Not to mention the service is 10x better.

Reps gave me the same battery pull garbage, it doesn't even seem like a logical solution. I imagine it's a network issue. Have fun with the wedding!
    Ok, so based on your recommendation i have deleted VVM, I never really thought it was that useful anyway but it was fun to play with. I think before i install, or try out, VyMail i'm going to see if this helps at all.

I have noticed one thing now, there is no native voicemail indicator. I looked through plazmic to see if it is just a theme issue with the theme (maybe the dev deleted it) but I can't find one there either. Do you really have to use some sort of Visual voicemail to be told if you have a voicemail??? Seems kinda wierd to me.
    03-29-09 11:43 PM
    ok, so just as i posted that last message, i recieved a text message time stamped from 8:13 THIS MORNING!!!!! What is wrong with my damn connection?!?!?! It can't just be low signal cause I've been driving around all day and I must've gone through at least one area with good signal, at least for long enough to receive a 4 word text!!! I can't be the only one with this problem, can I?? there have to be other storm users around the Denver area, anyone experiencing this too???
    03-29-09 11:46 PM
    ok, so just to test, I sent a text message from my buddy's phone, didn't receive it, sent another one, didn't receive it. Then I tried calling my phone, got 4 rings then voicemail, nothing on my phone. I'm standing in an area where it says I have 5 bars of signal, and I know there is a verizon tower about 500 yds away so I know i have signal.

So I tried doing the *228 thing to relocate the towers, tried calling again my phone rings, then both text messages show up.

So do i have to relocate the nearest tower everytime i change locations just to get service?!?!? That's ridiculous!!!
    03-29-09 11:54 PM
    bump

10 char
    03-30-09 02:02 AM
    *228 = verizon's battery pull
    03-30-09 02:08 AM
    *228 = verizon's battery pull
    it's definately starting to seem that way, you would think a phone as capable as this would automatically relocate the nearest tower, that just seems like a basic thing of being a cell phone, doesn't it?
    03-30-09 04:10 AM
    OK, so here is an update, still unofficial, but something I am working on with my local engineer... There are some phones that will fail to authenticate on the network, causing a random "miss" in data coming to the phone. This can mean you don't get calls, msgs, emails, etc. What I have found that helps is when you get up in the morning, call a landline phone. Once you pick up and end the call, call yer cell back from that landline. This forces the network to authenticate your phone on demand. Doesn't always work, but it has the best helping rate so far. When I get more info (especially if a fix comes about) I will let you know more
    03-30-09 04:45 AM
    OK, so here is an update, still unofficial, but something I am working on with my local engineer... There are some phones that will fail to authenticate on the network, causing a random "miss" in data coming to the phone. This can mean you don't get calls, msgs, emails, etc. What I have found that helps is when you get up in the morning, call a landline phone. Once you pick up and end the call, call yer cell back from that landline. This forces the network to authenticate your phone on demand. Doesn't always work, but it has the best helping rate so far. When I get more info (especially if a fix comes about) I will let you know more
    I'm assuming you work for Verizon? if so, i have a question, there are many people that simply use their cell phone for a home phone (me being one of those people), if this is the case, how do we call a land line and then have them call back.

Also, is this specific to the storm? cause my wife's curve (my previous phone) never had this problem, it only started happening with the storm. What is causing it?

Can I PM you, cause this is friggin driving me nuts!!!!!
    03-30-09 04:51 AM
    yes i do work for the company... so yeah... officially I can only tell you the public info. No it is not specific to the storm.. actually, the storm is just the latest device to show any symptoms of the issue. What I would suggest for the landline then would be to call up a friend, or make the call when you get to school/work/family/whatever applies to you... all works the same. Ironic thing is, switch back to your curve, and the problem will more than likely go away. Switch back to the storm, problem MIGHT stay gone... might not... unfortunately it is all hit and miss... and is only affecting small regions. I am meeting with my network engineer today... I will see what I can do to come up with some answers and get back to you.
    03-30-09 05:21 AM
    yes i do work for the company... so yeah... officially I can only tell you the public info. No it is not specific to the storm.. actually, the storm is just the latest device to show any symptoms of the issue. What I would suggest for the landline then would be to call up a friend, or make the call when you get to school/work/family/whatever applies to you... all works the same. Ironic thing is, switch back to your curve, and the problem will more than likely go away. Switch back to the storm, problem MIGHT stay gone... might not... unfortunately it is all hit and miss... and is only affecting small regions. I am meeting with my network engineer today... I will see what I can do to come up with some answers and get back to you.
    So (no offense) how come when I go into the Verizon store, they have no knowledge of this whatsoever, and all they suggest is either a batt-pull or switch out the phone? wouldn't 'the company' want to at least make this somewhat known to people with issues? so they don't decide to switch carrier's? cause i'm close!!
    03-30-09 05:40 AM
    LOL no... I get that ALLLLL the time. I am the one that ignores my management staff telling me to drop the issue and move on to the next... The way I see it is, once i have the answer, then EVERYONE will have the answer. I just got tired of hearing the same old problems over and over again... so I did something about it. Nobody else really knows much abaout it cuz it is only affecting a couple of small regions, and not everyone on the customer service side of the store understands the back-end network structure like I do... I dunno, I guess i am just that extra-miler... hahaha what area do you live in? I assume Cali?
    03-30-09 05:44 AM
    what area do you live in? I assume Cali?
    No, I live in the CO, Denver area.
    03-30-09 05:49 AM
    so... I have to get up in 3 hours... oops. I am gonna hit the hay. If you like, you can give me a call later today, I will be in the office from 10A-7P PST 559-325-1420, ask for Charles. I can look over your acct and see if anything stands out as an issue. Otherwise... if you are testing any transport, don't send a txt msg, always send a picture message... That uses a different part of the network, and authenticates differently. Good luck, I will see what I can come up with. Spread the word as well... I don't like seeing people less than thrilled with their service. I will do what I can to help.
    03-30-09 05:52 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD