This isn't necessarily a Blackberry question...well, it just isn't....however, can someone educate me a little bit on how unlocked phones work? In short, my daughter's phone is still under contract through verizon, but I want to get her something that has wifi (but not 3g and a data package). Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
    01-25-10 01:44 PM
    All unlocking does is allows you to use a phone from one carrier (verizon) to another carrier (AT&T, T MOBILE, etc.). Does you daughter have a blackberry already? I'm confused about why you would want Wifi without 3G or a data plan.
    01-25-10 01:49 PM
    She doesn't have a blackberry currently, she doesn't need a data package, and I don't want to pay $30/month for it. Wifi would be good enough for her.

How does a phone get unlocked?
    01-25-10 02:00 PM
    There are companies that will sell you an unlock code. Do a google search for BlackBerry unlock codes and you'll find several websites.

Remember, the Storm 1 does not have Wifi capabilities. You would have to go to a Storm 2 or some other BlackBerry model.
    01-25-10 02:44 PM
    You can't do a BlackBerry on Verizon, locked or unlocked, without the mandatory data plan. Most smartphones on Verizon require the data plan. There are a few that do not, and I think that one of them does have Wi-Fi.

From what I understand, Verizon will not activate any non Verizon branded phone onto their network. I have heard of a few people having success with it, but a majority are not allowed.

Unlocking usually refers to the GSM portion of the device, or for use with GSM carriers, which Verizon is not. Verizon is CDMA.
    01-25-10 02:56 PM
    thanks Heavy, that's the info i was looking for. and yea, i'm aware of the blackberry/smartphone rules with verizon, i was just wondering if you could buy your own phone, with wifi, from a 3rd party and use it on a verizon account.

my question is anwersed, but i would like to know more about the difference between gsm and cdma if you have the time. thanks again.
    01-25-10 03:21 PM
    Alex, this is a link I found that describes GSM v CDMA.
    What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?

And Verizon won't let you buy phones not with them and use them. Stinks, but not really something you can control.
    01-25-10 03:27 PM
    thanks Heavy, that's the info i was looking for. and yea, i'm aware of the blackberry/smartphone rules with verizon, i was just wondering if you could buy your own phone, with wifi, from a 3rd party and use it on a verizon account.

my question is anwersed, but i would like to know more about the difference between gsm and cdma if you have the time. thanks again.
    When you say third party, what do you mean? Verizon doesn't allow non Verizon phones on their network. So you would need a wifi enabled Verizon phone, which there aren't too many of, that are not smartphones or BB's. That is where you will run into problems.
    01-25-10 04:23 PM
    This isn't necessarily a Blackberry question...well, it just isn't....however, can someone educate me a little bit on how unlocked phones work? In short, my daughter's phone is still under contract through verizon, but I want to get her something that has wifi (but not 3g and a data package). Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
    Getting a unlocked device will not help you with Verizon as they only use CDMA technology.
    01-28-10 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD