OK, so I see a lot of posts on how to free up memory, but can someone post a 10,000 foot level explanation of how memory works on the Storm?

Right now when I check my memory, it says I have 22MB free for applications, 877MB free on the device and darn near the whole 8GB are left on the media card.

I guess I'm confused on the whole application memory thing.

One other thing but related, why the **** can't I quit out of the Application Center? It's always running. Same thing for the Browser.

Thank you in advanced, especially is these are dumb questions.
    12-17-08 09:55 PM
    I'll let someone else answer the whole memory thing... But the Application Center remains perpetually open if you have the automatic update option turned on. Disable that, restart the phone, and it will go away. The browser is one of 5 apps that are ALWAYS running on the Storm: The Browser, Mail, BB Messenger, Phone, and Home screen. Those you cannot disable unless you want to risk bad things happening to your phone.
    12-17-08 10:00 PM
    uncheck "auto refresh" in the app center
    12-17-08 10:01 PM
    the 22m is your file free memory, the only one that is somewhat critical, if that drops below 10m on most BBs, your call log and messages are at risk to start vanishing.

If you pull your battery, leave it out for 3o seconds and put it back in, that # will go back up to around 47m.

Switching apps or leaving more than the 5 running in the background is the major cause of the # dropping
    That is why apps like softreset and quickpull are so popular, saves you from having to actually physically pull the battery. All that being said, it's nothing to be hyperparanoid about, you shouldn't need to do a reset, but maybe once a week, unless something goes buggy on you. A pearl, then hyper-paranoid

Bigman hit everything else
    12-17-08 10:12 PM
    Opened App Center, unchecked auto-refresh and powered off (by holding the End Call button). When I restarted, App Center was also started. Tried to close it and it is still there. Did I miss something?
    12-17-08 10:13 PM
    Opened App Center, unchecked auto-refresh and powered off (by holding the End Call button). When I restarted, App Center was also started. Tried to close it and it is still there. Did I miss something?
    Red button, is not what you want, battery pull is what you want, I also deleted app center, CB is my app center so I can't tell you much about checkboxes.
    12-17-08 10:16 PM
    Thank you fort he help. I downloaded Quickpull, used it, and now the app center is no longer running. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and I deleted BB Messenger as I don't know anyone else with a BB. There shouldn't be a problem with that should there?
    Last edited by schandor; 12-18-08 at 09:39 AM.
    12-18-08 09:34 AM

If you pull your battery, leave it out for 3o seconds and put it back in, that # will go back up to around 47m.
    If you need to leave the battery out for 30 seconds, do programs like Quickpull or Soft Reset really work optimally. When they reset your phone (simulate a battery pull), they turn it off and right back on immediately.

I do a soft reset daily, and it makes a tremendous diffrence. If I do a full blown 30 second "real" battery pull, will the benefits be even greater?
    12-18-08 09:43 AM
    If you need to leave the battery out for 30 seconds, do programs like Quickpull or Soft Reset really work optimally. When they reset your phone (simulate a battery pull), they turn it off and right back on immediately.

I do a soft reset daily, and it makes a tremendous diffrence. If I do a full blown 30 second "real" battery pull, will the benefits be even greater?
    30 seconds is just a # some members came up with quite a while back, battery pulls were much more necessary and some folk were a bit quick on the reinstall draw, which created more issues then it fixed.

One of the reset programs is really all you need, even with a pearl, I shut down the event log, did a weekly cache clear & softreset and never took off the snap on case for over 6 months.
    12-18-08 09:51 AM

You don't have to leave the battery out for that long. Some people exaggerate a little too much. As long as a full reboot is triggered, the memory will clear.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD