I'm new to smart phones. My friend came over about a week ago and he had a curve. I liked it a lot but the browser was not was I was looking for. The Storm has caught my eye and so has the Bold. Which has the better web browser? Are they different? Can you, for example, get on your fantasy football in yahoo? Thanks!
    01-12-09 12:09 PM
    storm has a bigger screen. Browser should be the same, try setting it to IE with js on and not the bberry browser. I like the storm better because of the screen, and I really like the suretype keyboard in portrait mode. Other than that, they are very similar.

Oh and for the bold you will have to drop $$ for a big enough sd card where the storm comes with one.

Go to the store, try them both out. It's a preference thing to have a real keyboard or a touch screen.
    01-12-09 12:28 PM
    I personally never liked the "classic" style of blackberrys with keyboards on the bottom, and i like the big screen of the storm, so the decision was easy for me.

However I think that right now the Storm has major assembly issues, with screens not getting sealed and click assembly being adjusted badly, so buy at your own risk and be ready to adjust screws/make shims yourself.
    01-12-09 12:34 PM
    You can get an 8gb card for about 30-40 dollars-

Not so bad.
    01-12-09 12:36 PM
    Best thing for you to do is to go to Verizon and give both of them a test drive. Get the feel and functionality with hands-on. Also, read the CB reviews for both devices. There's pros and cons for both BB's (just like all of the other ones).

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 01-12-09 at 02:36 PM.
    01-12-09 12:37 PM
    I'm an alltel customer but my contract is not up until 12/09 At that point I'll be a verizon customer. Will the Storm and Bold be running on 3G? Can you get onto Yahoo and mess with your fantasy football teams? What are the limits to the browser?
    01-12-09 12:43 PM
    Although I do not yet own or use a Storm, I have been doing extensive research & familiarization regarding the phone in order to best prepare myself for getting one. So take my opinion and suggestions with a grain of salt, but to my credit I am pretty observant and have taken lots of time to weigh benefits/consequences. I also lust after a Bold but my Canadian carrier doesn't offer it and is not GSM, so there's no way I can get a Bold -without switching-; so hence the Storm.

If you go with a Storm you should mentally prepare yourself to experience lots of minor bugs & issues that will test your patience and dedication to the phone. You must remind yourself that it's still a very new & innovative product and that it won't be as refined as something that's been available for months or years. Everything I've read about a Bold is generally positive and it doesn't seem as though users are dramatically limited or enraged at using one. Obviously the biggest difference between the two are the keyboards (touch vs. actual). For some people the tactile response and typing speed is important thus a Bold is more appropriate. HOWEVER many people have stated that yes, the touch-click Storm keyboard does take getting used to, but after a while they are just as quick compared to using a Bold/Curve etc. Also to our benefit is that people have found ways to adjust the sensitivity, response, and overall interaction with the keyboard of the STORM; so that in & of itself can greatly enhance your using experience.

Obviously the Storm has a bigger & nicer screen than the Bold, so viewing real estate might be important for you in which case the decision is made.

The UI of the Bold is a bit more refined, so if a stable platform and good ergonomics are important than that'd weigh into your decision.

Since I've never used either I can't claim on browser comparability, however what I have been able to deduce is that it depends A LOT on memory used & available. It seems to me that if you sit down & compare a bare-bones Storm and Bold that they will both be equal, if not the Storm maybe slightly edging out the Bold.

In the end either are excellent phones, and represent a powerhouse in computing ability. For all the known Storm bugs & frustrations, I think if you set it up correctly and don't abuse applications, video, leaked OS's, etc. then it's a wonderful device and has really carved out a dedicated following.
    01-12-09 12:49 PM
    I've not had a problem with my storm. There were issues with it using too much memory, but after I found out how to clear it w/o a battery pull, life has been so much better. (options > security options > memory cleaning).

For browsing I use Opera Mini, which loads the site via proxy. This works soo much better than the native browser, and once you get used to it, you can simply double touch (w/o clicking) the link to get to the next page. I also like that I can page down using the scroll bar on the side.

The Bold is super stable, so I can see how it can be attractive, but the Storm can be just as good once you get used to all the nuances. Buy the one that suits you.
    01-12-09 01:28 PM
    i had the bold, then decided to switch to the storm, now i maybe looking to switch to the new 8900.

The bold was so reliable and so fast, and i am maybe regretting switching to the storm, i got caught in the hype about the storm so decided to get it.
    The storm is a lovely phone but sometimes doesnt respond and gap around the screen is annoying.
    01-12-09 01:39 PM
    another thing to keep in mind - verizon doesnt carry bold, so for alot of people its not even an option. Figure out which carrier has better coverage where you live, then pick the phone. For me, bold was not even an option, because i did not want to switch to at&t.
    01-12-09 01:42 PM
    What are the limits to Opera Mini? Can you do a Fantasy Football draft on yahoo?
    01-12-09 02:35 PM
    What are the limits to Opera Mini? Can you do a Fantasy Football draft on yahoo?
    It works fine on my Flip (Opera 4.1.11). I believe the Bold and the Flip have the same core OS build (4.6). I can't say if it will work with the Storm or not.
    01-12-09 02:40 PM
    another thing to keep in mind - verizon doesnt carry bold, so for alot of people its not even an option. Figure out which carrier has better coverage where you live, then pick the phone. For me, bold was not even an option, because i did not want to switch to at&t.
    Amen to that! AT&T coverage has problems in my area.

The Bold is just a variation on a successful style of phone. The Storm is completely new. Remember, the iPhone had its problems too when it was first released.

I've had my Storm since day 2, and I've experienced relatively few problems. Most of the complaints have come from those who experiment with leaked OS and/or 3rd party apps that are still in beta.
    01-12-09 02:44 PM
    Sounds like fantasy football is really important to you, so I'll step up for this one. Yes, you can do all the fantasy football stuff you need to do on it.

I owed teams in 3 leagues this year, and had no problems with it wherever I was. The biggest issue you'll face is constant zooming so you can read the correct information or click links/buttons on the web pages. Of course, this issue is prevalent in any mobile device; but the screen on the Storm is larger than most, so it's better than most in that respect.

As for Bold vs. Storm, also look at what's most important to you (other than fantasy football). If multi-media is important, then it's hard to beat the Storm. The video player is excellent, and good sized. You can synch music with iTunes, etc.
    01-12-09 02:49 PM
    They are both very good phones. Personally, the Storm fits my needs best. It will really come down to your preferences and how you intend to use the device.
    01-12-09 02:53 PM
    I agree they are both excellent phones. I would go w/the one that has better coverage in your area (AT&T=Bold, Verizon=Storm)
    01-12-09 03:16 PM
    Sounds like fantasy football is really important to you, so I'll step up for this one. Yes, you can do all the fantasy football stuff you need to do on it.

I owed teams in 3 leagues this year, and had no problems with it wherever I was. The biggest issue you'll face is constant zooming so you can read the correct information or click links/buttons on the web pages. Of course, this issue is prevalent in any mobile device; but the screen on the Storm is larger than most, so it's better than most in that respect.

As for Bold vs. Storm, also look at what's most important to you (other than fantasy football). If multi-media is important, then it's hard to beat the Storm. The video player is excellent, and good sized. You can synch music with iTunes, etc.
    Thanks! I think that I'm sold on the storm since it can synch with itunes and has a great video player. Have you used iTunes on yours? Is it difficult?
    01-12-09 03:32 PM
    Best thing for you to do is to go to Verizon and give both of them a test drive. Get the feel and functionality with hands-on. Also, read the CB reviews for both devices. There's pros and cons for both BB's (just like all of the other ones).

Good Luck!
    Pretty sure the Bold isn't available with Verizon.
    01-12-09 03:40 PM
    Thanks! I think that I'm sold on the storm since it can synch with itunes and has a great video player. Have you used iTunes on yours? Is it difficult?
    If you can wait a little while the Javelin will come out on VZW. Its basically the Bold as I understand it. Then you can compare just the phones without worrying about service.

I would always recommend choosing which carrier you want (VZW, ATT, Sprint, etc) and then choosing your phone. In this case whatever carrier you choose will determine which phone you get.
    01-12-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD