Hey everyone... I just got a new blackberry storm yesterday from verizon. Its my second one ( first one was replaced within 2 hours due to a few dead pixels on display). I am having a recurring issue of the spinning clock appearing. It did this before any 3rd party apps were installed. Nothing triggers it. Hard reset does not fix this nor does doing a battery pull. I have checked to make sure excessive programs were not running. What should I do? It can happen at any time...lasting for as few as 5 seconds up to a minute and a half or so. Sometimes when I'm not even using it the screen will light up and that clock will begin to spin...
    08-03-09 05:42 PM
    Hey everyone... I just got a new blackberry storm yesterday from verizon. Its my second one ( first one was replaced within 2 hours due to a few dead pixels on display). I am having a recurring issue of the spinning clock appearing. It did this before any 3rd party apps were installed. Nothing triggers it. Hard reset does not fix this nor does doing a battery pull. I have checked to make sure excessive programs were not running. What should I do? It can happen at any time...lasting for as few as 5 seconds up to a minute and a half or so. Sometimes when I'm not even using it the screen will light up and that clock will begin to spin...
    What OS do you have loaded on the phone?
    08-03-09 05:45 PM

oh and also i had the same problem with my 8830 world edition...it happened a lot more on the 8830 though...
    08-03-09 05:48 PM
    A phone this new should not be acting that way. It could be that the original installation of the OS had an issue. How much application memory free space do you have (options>memory)?

Personally, I saw this only occasionally on OS .148 and have not seen it at all (unless I've got a number of apps running at the same time) since upgrading to .151. This is the best OS I've had on my phone and would recommend you upgrade to it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/in...source-213706/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...-betas-123176/
    Last edited by grey; 08-03-09 at 06:26 PM.
    08-03-09 06:08 PM
    You just got it right? TAKE IT BACK AGAIN UNTIL YOU GET A GOOD ONE. Sheesh!
    08-03-09 06:39 PM
    I had issues with the OS then went to .151, and reverted to .148. My install of .148 fixed the major memory leak and battery issues I had when RIM or Verizon installed the OS on the phone which was .148.
    08-03-09 06:57 PM
    A phone this new should not be acting that way. It could be that the original installation of the OS had an issue. How much application memory free space do you have (options>memory)?
    it says i only have 2.5MB...i could have sworn it said something like 46MB when I looked there before...
    08-03-09 07:01 PM
    it says i only have 2.5MB...i could have sworn it said something like 46MB when I looked there before...
    That's not good. I would try to upgrade to .151 tonight if possible. Run it for a couple of days. It's probably going to work great on that OS. If not, take it back. If for whatever reason, you don't want to mess with the OS, just exchange it. I do think you've got a software problem that the OS would fix, but I've been wrong before.
    08-03-09 07:08 PM
    I would say try upgrading to atleast .151 and after the install do atleast three battery pulls 60 secs apart to get the OS to settle in.
    08-03-09 07:11 PM
    I would take it back till it got right
    08-03-09 07:34 PM
    love the icon gwtiff54...I actually have a NES controller belt buckle that I'm known to wear on occasion LOL...

speaking of...i could always just turn this brand new storm into a belt buckle...
    08-03-09 07:47 PM
    keep sending them back they have to give you a functonal unit or then give u a differrent phone
    08-03-09 07:51 PM
    love the icon gwtiff54...I actually have a NES controller belt buckle that I'm known to wear on occasion LOL...

speaking of...i could always just turn this brand new storm into a belt buckle...
    John-

Quit making fashion statements on CrackBerry. This is not the place for that. This is a focused discussion for BlackBerry only.

If you weren't one of my best friends I would curse you.... haha

Geek.
    08-03-09 09:41 PM
    Rotflmfao
    08-03-09 09:48 PM
    Why is my available memory constantly fluctuating after I download things from the app store? it goes up and down for no reason.

Why should I have to download and install this .151 leaked OS you speak of to fix the freezing problem...friends of mine have storms and do not have .151 they do not have this issue with the freezing...

What else am I going to gain by loading .151???
    08-04-09 03:07 PM
    Why is my available memory constantly fluctuating after I download things from the app store? it goes up and down for no reason.

Why should I have to download and install this .151 leaked OS you speak of to fix the freezing problem...friends of mine have storms and do not have .151 they do not have this issue with the freezing...

What else am I going to gain by loading .151???

151 comes with the secret Wifi code
    08-04-09 03:53 PM
    I just my BB storm yesterday it seems a little laggy.. But other then that I love it... Is there a big change going from 148 to 151?
    08-04-09 10:32 PM
    I am trying to decided if I need to do the update... Also I have nothing loaded yet so I dont think there is a need to do a back up... Am I right on that?
    08-04-09 10:46 PM
    151 comes with the secret Wifi code
    oh if only that were true...
    08-04-09 10:46 PM
    oh if only that were true...
    Did you try the update?
    08-04-09 11:01 PM
    I honestly believe the issues may be stemming from either a corrupt database or it just may be your specific type of usage of the phone.

People are recommending .151 because the memory management on this OS has been vastly improved when compared to previous iterations/versions of the software.

Let's try this: Backup your phone using DM, should you need any current data on it for later on, then completely wipe the phone including all 3rd party apps, and then finally install OS .151 from scratch. Make sure to perform a selective install and uncheck anything you may not need on the phone, i.e. blackberry maps, games, etc. - there are guides throughout these forums in greater detail that can assist you with this.

Then after when this is all said and done, selectively restore only 1 database from your backup at a time, such as your SMS messages, etc., and take note of your memory usage which can be found under Options -> Memory.
    Let us know how it goes!

Good luck!
    08-04-09 11:02 PM
    thanks kamika007z! i will give it a try and let you guys know how it goes...

EDIT: Why can the Palm Pre be synced with itunes and be recognized on the actual itunes program...but the blackberry storm cannot? I've read tons of threads on precentral about it and yes the way palm is doing it is kind of sketchy but still, if it works, it works...

I know how to unprotect the files...any future music purchases wont be from itunes...
    Last edited by jfriend33; 08-04-09 at 11:27 PM.
    08-04-09 11:21 PM
    Blackberry has a program that is called media sync. That should be able to sync to your itunes.
    08-05-09 12:31 AM
    Blackberry has a program that is called media sync. That should be able to sync to your itunes.
    yep...it syncs music on itunes and playlists...but not any of the purchased music... i just kind of admire how you can use a palm pre...operate itunes..and itunes thinks its an ipod...no need to worry about data rights management...
    08-05-09 12:48 AM
    yep...it syncs music on itunes and playlists...but not any of the purchased music... i just kind of admire how you can use a palm pre...operate itunes..and itunes thinks its an ipod...no need to worry about data rights management...
    From what I understand is that the Palm Pre syncs directly to I Tunes, but can not sync drm music files. Now that Apple is moving away from drm files, that should not longer be a problem.
    08-05-09 12:51 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD