Okay. Not a rant, but a question.

My replacement Storm is much dimmer than my old Storm. For perspective, Setting 10 on my old Storm is brighter than 100 on new one.

Questions:
    - Has RIM intentionally made its setting less bright?
    - Is this necessarily a HW issue? (both are on .75)
    - Is there any fix?

Thanks,
    Roger
    01-07-09 06:48 PM
    There are 2 distinct screen temps out there , one being a "warm" like your new phone, the other being the "cool" with the bluish hue. I had the cool on a replacement and sent it back for other issues. I suspect your battery life will be better on the dimmer "warm" screen. Unless the 2 phones are side by side, you probably won't notice. If the new phone functions as it should..keep it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 07:30 PM
    On my phone (12/22/08 build date running 0.75 firmware) I don't see much of a difference between 10 and 100.
    01-07-09 08:14 PM
    I wish I knew if this were a correctable issue downstream. If so, I would keep the replacement. But the difference in brightness is absolutely dramatic and I prefer the brighter version.
    01-07-09 08:25 PM
    i thought i had the same problem, but i turned the "automatically dim blacklight" feature off under screen/keyboard options. It will probably use up a bit more battery, but it is as bright and wonderful as ever. hope this helps
    01-07-09 09:34 PM
    i thought i had the same problem, but i turned the "automatically dim blacklight" feature off under screen/keyboard options. It will probably use up a bit more battery, but it is as bright and wonderful as ever. hope this helps
    No, that's not the issue. Wish it were though.
    01-07-09 09:36 PM
    My original was made in June of 08 and the replacment was made 12/08 and both screens are exactly the same
    01-07-09 09:37 PM
    I have noticed that between my friends storm and my own. His is cool and mine is warm. Its most notable when in landscape looking at your app launchers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 10:32 PM
    Agreed....
    01-08-09 11:53 AM
    I also had that problem, so i returned that one. I got another one and this one is a little brighter and crisp. I do wish I had my first one though!
    01-08-09 12:11 PM
    My 2 Canada builds were way brighter than the Mexico build I had. All were the same build number.
    01-08-09 12:45 PM
    Okay. Not a rant, but a question.

My replacement Storm is much dimmer than my old Storm. For perspective, Setting 10 on my old Storm is brighter than 100 on new one.

Questions:
    - Has RIM intentionally made its setting less bright?
    - Is this necessarily a HW issue? (both are on .75)
    - Is there any fix?

Thanks,
    Roger
    Your eyes are not playing tricks on you, you are correct in your observations. Heres the best and most noticeable way to compare a "cool" with a "warm" storm.

First make sure that the brightness levels are set to 100, also, turn the auto dim off so that you can take a good look at the screen without the brightness being adjusted.

Once youve taken the auto dimmer off, simply go to the main screen and hit your green phone/answer button so that you can see your dialpad. Youll notice that the dialpad on the "cooler" screen shows a much more vibrant blue throughout the dialpad, and the blue is noticeable even into the 1,2,and 3 buttons, whereas on the "warm" blackberry youll notice the dial pad to be darker, and show much less blue. The blue doesnt even make it into the 1,2,3 buttons on the warmer screen.

ALSO, if you look at the number entry field above the dial pad, youll see that the white just isnt nearly as vibrant and crisp as the "cool" storm is.

I was very dissapointed when I got my storm b/c I am a digital arts major, and noticed this difference immediately. I had seen a "warm" storm before but thought the person just messed it up in some way.

I don't know yet whether it was a design change, or a software change. I believe though that its related to the phones RGB (red, green, blue) display settings, just like on an lcd monitor. I do not think its a brightness issue.

I'm going to research this some more and I'll post any further info I find. I do think that if it was possible to somehow "hack" into the RGB levels of the lcd and adjust the blue a little higher, and then red and green down a tad that the screen could be made to look just like the "cooler" screens.

If anyone has any further info about this, PM me or post here. I know that alot of people may not care, but honestly the screen is just far "too warm". You can see that there is too much red/green and not enough blue, white should never be discolored that much and thats due to an improper imbalance of rgb levels.

PS: I've also noticed that with the "warmer" screens, they tend to be a little harder to press on just the bottom part of the screen. So, I dunno, flaw perhaps? Different factory, screen source, parts supplier? Who knows but I'm sure we'll figure something out!

Peace for now!

iLLPHiL
    03-10-09 07:12 PM

Left Storm : Less then a week old
    Right Storm : Received December 12ish

Might be something to this
    03-10-09 07:18 PM
    Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I just received my replacement Storm about 5 hours ago. And IMMIDIATLEY notices it was significantly darker then my current one.

I checked the setting, all the same. The new one at 100% is about equal to the old one at 30%-40%.
    The screen on the new one is tighter and doesn't rattle, clicks nicer, but a bit hard to click at the top center.

I was thinking about sending it back, but then I tried the camera. BIG improvement in color saturation and much more defined image, although I am not sure if that is due to a better camera software or if it just "looks" better on that screen.
    03-10-09 08:25 PM
    i have the first gen cool one, and wife has the second generation warm one. I prefer my brighter screen even though her click is noticeably better.
    03-11-09 12:53 AM
    I just got a storm for my son and his screen was extremely dim. After I installed .109 and a couple resets the screen was bright and cool like it is on my "old" Storm. That is definitely a SW issue.
    03-11-09 05:55 AM
    IMO if you aren't happy with the brightness, take it back and get another replacement.
    03-11-09 06:00 AM
    Im interested in finding out whether its a physical hardware change that causes the difference in the picture or whether its software related, like just a contrast or an RGB setting or something that can later be changed with an app or crack.
    03-16-09 04:05 AM
    I had a replacement storm that was exactly like this! My entire family has blackberry storms, and when I got my replacement, I know somethign wasn't right with the screen.

I compared my storm to the rest of the familys and mine was 100 times darker, even when I had mine set to 100 and no auto dim on. My storm looks like it was set on level 10 even though it was set on 100.

I was very dissopointed, so I called up verizon told them something was wrong with my screen that is was so dark compared to my other storms and very dark compared to other storms.

they sent out another replacement and this one has been great!
    03-16-09 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD