I just got a VZW Storm (my first blackberry) and have a question (first of many, I'm sure...) I am using our Blackberry Enterprise Server to sync w/exchange 2003. My question is, can I set this up so it syncs emails and calender with exchange, but syncs contacts with my desktop?

Also, can this play .wav's or mp3's as ringtones and notifications?

Thanks
    01-23-09 04:18 PM
    you can turn off wireless sync in the address book and use Desktop Manager to synchronize via wire. You do not want your Outlook contacts from the Exchange server on the device?

Yes it can play wav and mp3 files
    01-23-09 04:23 PM
    you can turn off wireless sync in the address book and use Desktop Manager to synchronize via wire. You do not want your Outlook contacts from the Exchange server on the device?

Yes it can play wav and mp3 files
    Excellent, thank you. No, my exchange contacts are all business contacts, while on my blackberry, I want my phone contacts.

So, where do I put the wav files so I can assign them to events?

Thanks again!

(this is a bit different from my old windows mobile)
    01-23-09 04:32 PM
    Just turn on mass media in options > memory

Then plug your device in and you will get 2 drives. The one with 8 gbs is where you put your ringtones in the ringtone folder.
    01-23-09 04:36 PM
    Your exchange contacts will synchronize upon activation. I would put all your business contacts in a subfolder within outlook so they do not automatically appear on your device upon activation.
    01-23-09 04:38 PM
    Your exchange contacts will synchronize upon activation. I would put all your business contacts in a subfolder within outlook so they do not automatically appear on your device upon activation.
    It's too late. I'm already activated. So I have to delete the entire contacts folder on the bby, install the desktop manager and set it to sync my personal outlook to get those contacts?
    01-23-09 04:43 PM
    Just turn on mass media in options > memory

Then plug your device in and you will get 2 drives. The one with 8 gbs is where you put your ringtones in the ringtone folder.
    Cool, thanks. Trying it now...
    01-23-09 04:43 PM
    It's too late. I'm already activated. So I have to delete the entire contacts folder on the bby, install the desktop manager and set it to sync my personal outlook to get those contacts?

move all your contacts into a subfolder now, with wireless sync on. Then go into your address book > menu > options > and type RSET. This will clear your address book and reload from the server (which wont find any information) thus your address book will be blank. then go to menu > options in your address book > "Desktop" and turn off wireless sync.
    01-23-09 04:46 PM
    move all your contacts into a subfolder now, with wireless sync on. Then go into your address book > menu > options > and type RSET. This will clear your address book and reload from the server (which wont find any information) thus your address book will be blank. then go to menu > options in your address book > "Desktop" and turn off wireless sync.
    Sorry, not to be too dim, but why do this? Why not just shut off sync, reset, and sync with my desktop?

Which leads to my next question. Installing the desktop software, it askes if I want to integrate with a personal or work account?
    01-23-09 04:52 PM
    You can disregard my last. I got it exactly as I wanted it. Mail and calender off BES exchange, contacts off Outlook. Nice! Now, to start copying music... I think I will need a bigger card. Off to Best Buy, I think.

Thanks again!
    01-23-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD