Under options, advanced options, at the bottom, there is a function to wirelessly upgrade your OS. THis only works for official OS releases. I was wondering if anyone had tried to wireless upgrade their OS and whether they can post their experience. I have the 9530 but feel pretty confident that an official version will be coming for us by the end of the week (and maybe even tonight)
    03-12-09 12:04 PM
    Hope you own a Nomex suit......
    03-12-09 12:05 PM
    Rofl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-12-09 12:06 PM
    What official release? Somalia releases one OS for the 9500 and that makes it official? Until Vodaphone UK, Verizon, or Telus come out with something, I don't think you can call anything official quite just yet.
    03-12-09 12:08 PM
    I think most Mac users end up having to go that route. AFAIK it works, though it might be a bit slower than doing so via your computer, and it might also be a bit more error prone if your phone runs out of space trying to store the downloaded file or the battery dies, etc.
    03-12-09 12:09 PM
    Guess it depends on how you define official. For me, an official release is when DM can detect an official without you having to download a leaked OS. Anyway, I am really just curious about the wireless updating and think its futile to speculate when verizon will release an official.
    03-12-09 12:10 PM
    What makes you feel so confident?

03-12-09 12:10 PM
    Under options, advanced options, at the bottom, there is a function to wirelessly upgrade your OS. THis only works for official OS releases. I was wondering if anyone had tried to wireless upgrade their OS and whether they can post their experience. I have the 9530 but feel pretty confident that an official version will be coming for us by the end of the week (and maybe even tonight)

Yep, it has been tried...and tried....and....tried...but to no avail.....when an office release is upon us (whenever it is) there will be a new icon on the phone saying there is an OTA update...click there and watch the fun!!!!
    03-12-09 12:11 PM
    I think most Mac users end up having to go that route. AFAIK it works, though it might be a bit slower than doing so via your computer, and it might also be a bit more error prone if your phone runs out of space trying to store the downloaded file or the battery dies, etc.
    Ah, I see. And you prolly also risk losing apps/data if you dont backup prior to the update.
    03-12-09 12:11 PM
    What makes you feel so confident?

Nothing really. I dont have any insider info and dont mean to speculate. Its just that when the official releases for the 9500 came out for 109, it came out a day later for 9530. I dont think there is too much different in coding between the 9500 and 9530 so I would assume its really just testing.
    03-12-09 12:13 PM
    Yep, it has been tried...and tried....and....tried...but to no avail.....when an office release is upon us (whenever it is) there will be a new icon on the phone saying there is an OTA update...click there and watch the fun!!!!
    But wasn't 113 an official release for the 9500 or am I missing something?
    03-12-09 12:14 PM
    im going to duck now , and hope the flaming goes right over me
    03-12-09 12:14 PM
    Incoming!!!!!!!!
    03-12-09 12:17 PM
    I'm beginning to think that people that create these threads just like the attention.
    03-12-09 12:17 PM
    But wasn't 113 an official release for the 9500 or am I missing something?
    According to these boards yes there was for the 9500...NOT for the 9530 which Verizon uses...the carriers for the 9500 have deemed .113 fit for an official release...Verizon on the other hand feels differently...which is why we have not seen an Official yet from them....
    03-12-09 12:18 PM
    Ha. Flaming really doesnt bother me. People can get as pissed as they like I dont really care. I will ask my questions anyway...

Thanks all for the info. I just assumed that if an official for the 9500 is out that an official for the 9530 is also just about to be out.
    03-12-09 12:20 PM
    According to these boards yes there was for the 9500...NOT for the 9530 which Verizon uses...the carriers for the 9500 have deemed .113 fit for an official release...Verizon on the other hand feels differently...which is why we have not seen an Official yet from them....
    Ok, so what I am asking is that for the people who have upgraded their 9500, has anyone done it wirelessly? And if so, how well did it work.
    03-12-09 12:20 PM
    I was on the phone with verizon customer service last Thursday 03-05-09 about getting a new storm because my two week old storm was acting up. She told me that there is an update coming in about two weeks so we should see something soon.
    03-12-09 12:23 PM
    I was on the phone with verizon customer service last Thursday 03-05-09 about getting a new storm because my two week old storm was acting up. She told me that there is an update coming in about two weeks so we should see something soon.
    GRRRRRRRRR , im sorry but please dont believe anything a CSR says , the longer you are around here the more you will uinderstand . They tell you thos things so they dont have to accept returned phones and things like that , they really have no idea when a OS will come out
    03-12-09 12:26 PM
    if you think its a hardware related issue, go back and tell them to give you a new phone now. in 2 weeks you wont be able to do that, which is why they told you an update will come then (when in reality it probably wont, as their track record on these things suggests.)
    03-12-09 12:29 PM
    I wirelessly upgraded from .65 to .75 in the grocery store with my wife and kids. It worked fine, it still works fine. Ummmmmm, what was the question again?

03-12-09 12:30 PM
    I wirelessly upgraded from .65 to .75 in the grocery store with my wife and kids. It worked fine, it still works fine. Ummmmmm, what was the question again?

Awesome.

Thanks thats all I wanted to know. I am at work and in the event that an official comes out today, I want to update.
    03-12-09 12:31 PM
    Awesome.

Thanks thats all I wanted to know. I am at work and in the event that an official comes out today, I want to update.
    Generally speaking, they wouldn't offer this feature if it didn't work. Though there's also devices like the LG Dare, which is OTA firmware capable, but for the V05 update you had to go into the store to get it installed.
    03-12-09 12:37 PM
    I keep trying the wireless upgrade but it's always disappointing. Verizon seems to have abandoned 8330 users.
    03-12-09 12:50 PM
    Yeah, I must confess I check the wireless upgrade waaaaaaaay to often! But yes, when the time comes it will work.

03-12-09 01:35 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD