Hi everyone,

I'm new to CB and am about to get my first BB. After debating between the Bold and the Storm, I think I've settled on the Storm for a few reasons:
    1. I'm already on Verizon and like the network, and heard AT&T can suck
    2. The price *may* be cheaper than the Bold w/ 2yr contract
    3. I was worried about typing speed, but now think it may not be that big of a deal
    4. The larger screen seems like it will be very nice

I've tried to do my research and will attempt to keep the dumb questions to a minimum and use the search function often. However, I do have a few questions.

1. Will the GPS on the Storm be unlocked from the start, or is there just a rumor that Verizon plans to open up GPS on devices to 3rd party apps sometime in the near future (I don't want to pay for VZ Nav, but want GPS)?

2. I have email through an Exchange server now. A Verizon salesman told me I may be able to access it with BIS. Is that true or will I need BES?

3. I am starting my own company and will likely be setting up a web presence and some type of email system to be ready when we [hopefully] grow. Are there any best practices for BB integration for outsourced Exchange server hosting and the like, or just small businesses in general?

4. Is there anything else I really need to know?

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to being part of the community.
    11-10-08 12:55 PM
    1. Will the GPS on the Storm be unlocked from the start, or is there just a rumor that Verizon plans to open up GPS on devices to 3rd party apps sometime in the near future (I don't want to pay for VZ Nav, but want GPS)?
    Welcome!!

The regular GPS will be open. The aGPS (assisted initial location with cell towers) will be reserved for VZ Nav.

Gotta leave the others for someone familiar with the BIS accounts.

Hope that helps!
    11-10-08 01:17 PM
    I get vz nav for free on my premium plan. Don't know if it will be different for the storm though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 01:28 PM
    I get vz nav for free on my premium plan. Don't know if it will be different for the storm though.
    Hmm... I would think that if you keep the non-BlackBerry stuff the same it would still be included.
    11-10-08 01:34 PM
    Welcome!!
    The regular GPS will be open. The aGPS (assisted initial location with cell towers) will be reserved for VZ Nav.
    Thanks! I've never used GPS on a phone before. If this just increases startup time to find itself, I'm ok with it. Is there often any trouble with regular GPS in crowded areas like a downtown, from reflected signals and stuff, or is it usually pretty good?
    11-10-08 01:35 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    11-10-08 01:35 PM
    Thanks! I've never used GPS on a phone before. If this just increases startup time to find itself, I'm ok with it. Is there often any trouble with regular GPS in crowded areas like a downtown, from reflected signals and stuff, or is it usually pretty good?
    With GPS it really boils down to how good the antenna is. On my iPhone I'm pretty impressed with how well it holds a signal, even in non-ideal conditions (inside my house for instance.) I have a REALLY good car nav GPS that the iPhone can hold its own with.

The aGPS really only functions on initial start up so that it knows roughly where to look for the satellites. Once you're locked on, it's all GPS. Cell tower triangulation can only get you to about a 1/2 mile to a mile.
    11-10-08 01:41 PM
    From what i have used in my experience with email addys is this; If you have a webbased email server, (ie, godaddy, squirrel..ect) you will be fine. They are POP's and IMAP's so no problem. Just make sure you gather the same info (smtp in and out server name) as you would for Outlook or Entourage and you'll be jammin push email.
    11-10-08 01:42 PM
    Welcome to the CB family!
    11-10-08 01:43 PM
    From what i have used in my experience with email addys is this; If you have a webbased email server, (ie, godaddy, squirrel..ect) you will be fine. They are POP's and IMAP's so no problem. Just make sure you gather the same info (smtp in and out server name) as you would for Outlook or Entourage and you'll be jammin push email.
    Also, make sure you have your Outlook/ Entourage set up to retain emails on the server until deleted. I cant tell you how many people i know complain about not getting emails on their berrys because their Outlook pulled it off the sever before the berry, and vise-versa.
    11-10-08 01:46 PM
    Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I do want to use an Exchange server. I haven't seen a way to get POP or IMAP to behave the same, but if there is a way I'd enjoy reading up on it. I guess I need to do a little more research before I ask more questions about that.
    11-10-08 01:46 PM

2. I have email through an Exchange server now. A Verizon salesman told me I may be able to access it with BIS. Is that true or will I need BES?

I use microsoft exchange with bis right now and have no problem at all... you just need to know your server addy... ex. mail.crackberry.com/exchange or whatever
    11-10-08 01:49 PM
    I use microsoft exchange with bis right now and have no problem at all... you just need to know your server addy... ex. mail.crackberry.com/exchange or whatever
    Thanks.

Does anyone rent Exchange server space and use your BB with it? Any suggestions on who is good and who isn't?
    11-10-08 01:51 PM
    Thanks.

Does anyone rent Exchange server space and use your BB with it? Any suggestions on who is good and who isn't?
    i am not sure i follow you on that
    11-10-08 01:53 PM
    Thanks.

When i first launched my company i used godaddy.com. They had affordable start up prices. I believe i paid around $50 for the domain and 5 email addys, with 1.5 gig of space.
    11-10-08 01:56 PM
    When i first launched my company i used godaddy.com. They had affordable start up prices. I believe i paid around $50 for the domain and 5 email addys, with 1.5 gig of space.
    I have used them as well. But, the email addresses you get don't use Microsoft Exchange server, which is what I want. I want to have my email inbox, etc. look the same on any computer and my BB. I also want my calendar and contacts to update wirelessly all the time, so if someone adds an event to my calendar, I will get it on my BB. Thanks for your input.
    11-10-08 02:01 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...-mobile-84702/

Check this thread. The OP used a hosted Exchange service with BES. Basically you pay for Exchange email and the BES service so you don't have to buy BES itself.
    11-10-08 03:33 PM

Check this thread. The OP used a hosted Exchange service with BES. Basically you pay for Exchange email and the BES service so you don't have to buy BES itself.
    MD-Dave,

Thanks. I should have thought of that before. That is likely the route I will go. Does anyone have recommendations on a good and affordable Exchange shared hosting service?
    11-10-08 03:43 PM
    check out mailstreet.com. they offer hosted exchange + BES at a very nice price!
    11-10-08 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD