I have a perma-***** now. I can't wait for this thing! I am camping out Friday before I get on the road.

I thought it was my Xbox 360 controller creating the fuzz noise. Ha...

p.s. If anyone here is near Michigan, come to Port Huron. I will be performing all weekend at the U Lounge and would be happy to show anyone in person my new gem
    11-18-08 03:58 AM
    Did anyone else notice that the Storm took about 10 seconds to exit the visual voicemail screen after he pressed the escape button (see at about the 5:00 mark). This does not bode well for RIM and Verizon. I'm going to give this phone a shot, but my gut tells me it'll be returned soon after purchase and an iphone will be in my future.
    11-18-08 07:42 AM
    I'd say the OS version he is using there is likely .65 - seemed pretty much exactly the same as my storm in terms of both speed and content. I've been really happy with mine so far, few little problems and crahses/freezes but nothing I am not more than used to coming from WinMo devices.

I saw people mentioning an OS update on friday, will I be able to get that here in UK too? Whats the procedure for updating, e.g. where will I find it (desktop manager update?) etc.
    11-18-08 07:58 AM
    I'd say the OS version he is using there is likely .65 - seemed pretty much exactly the same as my storm in terms of both speed and content. I've been really happy with mine so far, few little problems and crahses/freezes but nothing I am not more than used to coming from WinMo devices.

I saw people mentioning an OS update on friday, will I be able to get that here in UK too? Whats the procedure for updating, e.g. where will I find it (desktop manager update?) etc.
    OS updates are model specific. the 9530 will supposedly have an OS update available Friday. You'll have to wait for VF to release a 9500 specific one.
    11-18-08 08:01 AM
    OS updates are model specific. the 9530 will supposedly have an OS update available Friday. You'll have to wait for VF to release a 9500 specific one.
    Oh. Thats pretty gay. Can I rebrand the storm as a VZW one by flashing it?
    11-18-08 08:05 AM
    great video. best i have seen to date.
    11-18-08 08:08 AM
    Oh. Thats pretty gay. Can I rebrand the storm as a VZW one by flashing it?
    Unfortunately, no. Think how annoyed Curve owners get. There's 3 models (8300, 8310, 8320) and the OS is specific to each. Same with the 8800 series (8800/8820/8830).
    11-18-08 08:35 AM
    Really? I thought the upgrades were all the same for the 9530/9500?
    11-18-08 09:26 AM
    Good review from what I can see as well.
    11-18-08 09:34 AM
    Really? I thought the upgrades were all the same for the 9530/9500?
    I guess we'll all be finding out about that. But if RIM's track record with OS updates for the last generation of BBs is any indicator (Curve, Pearl & 88xx), the 9500 & 9530 will have separate OS updates.
    11-18-08 09:50 AM
    Did anyone else notice that the Storm took about 10 seconds to exit the visual voicemail screen after he pressed the escape button (see at about the 5:00 mark). This does not bode well for RIM and Verizon. I'm going to give this phone a shot, but my gut tells me it'll be returned soon after purchase and an iphone will be in my future.
    I noticed that as well. He pressed the button, talk, talk, talk, talk, then it went back to main menu. If that is any indicator of how some of the features are going to work I'll be pulling my hair out. No excuse for that.
    11-18-08 10:04 AM
    Thanks. It looks good to me thus far in all the videos I've seen. My local Verizon says no demo phones until Friday but I'll probably be better off seeing the real thing. I can only hope I can type on more comfortably since I seem to be unable to do so on iPhones and other BBs like the Bold that I tried.
    (First to say it's me and not the phones and practice would cure me I'm sure ;=) )
    And yes there were audio issues when I listened as well.

Dorothy
    11-18-08 10:10 AM
    is it just me, or did the video keep getting this weird noise interference
    Yes he has GSM phone that makes that sound over electronics.
    11-18-08 10:24 AM
    Good review. I really don't see a big problem about the "lag time", but then again I will be upgrading from a MotoQ so I guess anything is better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 10:57 AM
    Laggy screen, the accelerometer doesn't work when the phone is laid down flat, and did anyone notice that big fn gap`at the top of the screen?? POS.....

Of course I kid, good review since the web page he accidentally opened was his blog "the apple core" a mac/iphone rich in content blog, so he definitely played it straight.
    I sooo can not wait till Friday....
    11-18-08 11:16 AM
    is it just me, or did the video keep getting this weird noise interference

Someone said that it was somebody with a T-mobile phone and their weird frequencies they use. Plus they was doin sorta live demo as people text them question's as the went along. Also they have more videos of the demo they did at their page too... The Apple Core | ZDNet.com
    Last edited by Kholdstare; 11-18-08 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added more videos
    11-18-08 11:22 AM
    I give it two days before you have the iPhone. I say this because it's obvious going into it that you're giving it a shot but not 100% wanting it to work. If you give it a week or so to work I'm pretty sure you'll be happy, that's what all the testers I've seen have said and what it seems like with all the vids, etc. You can't become as frustrated with new technology as you can with other stuff, that's just how it is...there will always be bumps be it from you or the device itself.
    Last edited by CSSVT; 11-18-08 at 12:30 PM.
    11-18-08 12:25 PM
    I noticed in this video that the micro usb doesn't have a cover. I know my env has a little door to keep out dust and crap, and I really like it. Does the storm not having this pose as a problem? Or is it like that on all the other BB devices and isn't really something to worry about?

11-18-08 12:59 PM
    I noticed in this video that the micro usb doesn't have a cover. I know my env has a little door to keep out dust and crap, and I really like it. Does the storm not having this pose as a problem? Or is it like that on all the other BB devices and isn't really something to worry about?

Every BB I've ever seen is like that. No cover for the micro/mini USB port.
    11-18-08 01:07 PM
    One thing I do think will be a small pet peeve is the lack of a scroll indicator of sorts on the application page. You can see he didn't know where he was initially when he loaded it up.
    11-18-08 01:07 PM

I ripped off the "door" on my alias' charging port about 3 months ago, no problems yet with the port. One charging problem in general but that was a phone error fixed by pulling the battery.
    11-18-08 01:08 PM
    One thing I do think will be a small pet peeve is the lack of a scroll indicator of sorts on the application page. You can see he didn't know where he was initially when he loaded it up.
    Bottom of the last page, didn't want it to get lost in the fray
    11-18-08 01:09 PM
    There is a scroll indicator, a tiny arrow in the bottom or top right of the screen within the menus if they can scroll
    11-18-08 01:15 PM
    great vid... i was wondering about the Visual Voicemail... i thought that VZW said it wouldnt be ready for launch. Has that changed? Is it going to work out of the box? Will VZW charge extra for it? Will it be similar to the iphone voicemail?
    11-18-08 01:18 PM

I always tear those doors off. They get in the way. I usually blow it out with compressed air every couple of months to keep it clean.
    11-18-08 01:18 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD