hi.
    i am in hope that someone can help me with a few things.

i am running a storm 9530 from verison, however the phone is unlocked and i am usuing it with the rogers network here in canada. it is currently running on the .75 o.s i beleave and would like to update this software. i am afraid though that i may use the worng software and screw my phone up. i would be interested in running from the sounds of things the .103 software but am wondering if my phone is beta version on not and what software and where to download. also wondering if loading new software will cancel out my phone being unlocked.? any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. or a point in to the right direction

thanks
    02-18-09 12:33 AM
    First welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. I see that you are running the 9530, so you need to run OS compatible with this model.

The process to updating can be found in the following thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

The .103 OS can be found from the following sites.
    BrettWyman.com
    or
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    or
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

You can learn more about the .103 from the following thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...s-only-157285/

Finally, once you unlock a BlackBerry, it is unlocked regardless of the OS that is installed on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 12:56 AM
    thanks for the help. one more question how do i kjnow if i shoudl run beta software. and what is the difference betwen beta and none..?

cheers
    02-18-09 09:40 AM
    First things first,

Before you go updating anything, regardless of you being sure it is the proper update or not you should make a backup, even the proper update can screw up on the install, and then your phone becomes a very expensive, and fancy looking paperweight. (until you can reset it, if you can reset it.)

I would use the bb desktop manager and create a backup first, in case something goes awry you can always revert back to that back up.

As for your question about Beta software, beta software means that it is still in testing stages, usually towards the end of being tested and getting ready for release. It is made available to the public so that the software can have further testing in "real world" situations. so that more bugs can be found and fixed, or at least notes for being fixed later on before it is released.

If you aren't sure about the functionality of the beta software you can always do some research on the web to see what other people think about it so far, if there any wide spread, and known problems for the beta software.

Personally, I would recommend not running beta software if you are still trying to figure out the basics of the storm, even if the OS still looks the same from the standard .75 OS and a beta version of the OS there still could be a lot of differences behind the scenes, and bugs, glitches, and errors aren't going to help you get a handle on your device, in fact it will make it a whole lot more difficult.

Software that is out of beta is either ready to be released to the public, or already has been. I enjoy running beta software, but always make a fresh backup before installing it. Whether it be on my storm, or on any of my computers. Lost data is gone forever!
    02-18-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD