Hi all,

New to CB but old user of BB's since 7290. I am faced with a dilemma and need some help. I have a storm right now connected to company BES. I purchased and own the phone. To be connected to their BES you must have their IT Policy. Their policy restricts the installation of any 3rd party apps (no themes, no apps, no app world). It does have some advantages like compnay email, calendaring and contacts. I know this is a question that no one can answer for me but I want some opinions from CB world.

Should I remove from company BES? I just feel like I am missing out on so much of the functionality of the phone and all the cool things talked about on CB. I will loose company email which will be very hard because I do use it for my job. Any suggestions. Has anyone else encountered such a strict policy? Is there a way to not be on a BES and still get company email on device?

Thanks in advance for replies.
    04-13-09 07:14 PM
    I still get email from my job and am not on BES. However, i dont have full functionality like i would if i was on BES. The only emails i get are ones that go to my inbox and not specific folders i have setup with the account at work. Its up to you in the end.

Also you can have all emails fwd to your BB account if you want to.
    04-13-09 07:19 PM
    Get another BB. Use that for BES and your Storm for what you want to use it for. There is more than likely no way to get your company email and not be on BES and/or have an IT policy. If there is, your company will let you know, but once again I can bet that there isn't.

Welcome to Crackberry.com
    04-13-09 07:20 PM
    How are you getting them? Desktop redirector? Web mail service? If you don't mind me asking.
    Also... if your job allows you to, you can have the messages forwarded to your BB and then have your reply to address be the company's email (this can be done through the BIS site).
    I had the same issue as u do. What I did was I de-registered from BES and simply added the email through email setup. It is weird that it worked for me as I tried it with my colleagues storm and he was not able to add the company email from the email setup. Maybe it was just my luck but it is worth trying.
    04-13-09 07:21 PM
    Hi all,

New to CB but old user of BB's since 7290. I am faced with a dilemma and need some help. I have a storm right now connected to company BES. I purchased and own the phone. To be connected to their BES you must have their IT Policy. Their policy restricts the installation of any 3rd party apps (no themes, no apps, no app world). It does have some advantages like compnay email, calendaring and contacts. I know this is a question that no one can answer for me but I want some opinions from CB world.

Should I remove from company BES? I just feel like I am missing out on so much of the functionality of the phone and all the cool things talked about on CB. I will loose company email which will be very hard because I do use it for my job. Any suggestions. Has anyone else encountered such a strict policy? Is there a way to not be on a BES and still get company email on device?

Thanks in advance for replies.
    Absolutely you can. I have seen (you would have to search around here) where members go in with crackutil and simply remove the companies IT policy; then viola full function without the chains. If you can't find it here PM me and I will see if a few people with way more experience than I can lend a hand.
    04-13-09 07:24 PM
    I work as an Admin, and administer a few BES environments. The short answer is that you can in fact get emails from your company email using BIS, and remove your BB from the BES and no longer be restricted. It is really very simple depending on how your company's exchange system is set up. The easiest way I have found is to use the setup wizard here:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

If initially it will not accept just a user name and password for your company email then select to add a work email using Outlook Web Access settings. almost every exchange environment has OWA configured, and the setup is pretty straightforward and easily assisted ny your company IT guy if you have trouble.

If your company does not use OWA, you will need you Admin to provide the settings for the mail server info in order to authenticate your device with the excahnge server.

Also I want to add that you can get alot of the smae things accomplished by being part of the BES by just instaklling the Desktop Manager software for "personal" use ( the other method will install rediredctor and send you annoying spam messages) and setting up yopur sync settings to sync your outlook with the device whenever you plug it in allowing you access to all your company contacts, etc.

If you have furthert questions or get stuck, please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to asssist you further
    04-13-09 07:30 PM
    Also... if your job allows you to, you can have the messages forwarded to your BB and then have your reply to address be the company's email (this can be done through the BIS site).
    I'm in the same situation, purchased the Storm on my own and have no desire to have my company' IT department enforce their overly dramatic policies on my device. So I do exactly as Duvi mentions, I forward all corporate emails to another email account (in my case a live.com account) that I receive thru BIS on my BB. Then the "reply to" is set to my corporate email address as well as my signature warns people when I reply from my BB not to reply to the email address they are getting the reply from, but to my corporate email. And... I BCC to my corporate email so that I can properly keep track of it all. Works out great, and don't have to put up with my company's moronic IT dept. =D
    04-13-09 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD